1986 Allegro Airbag Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glarkin

Hi all, I tried to find this topic and found one post on it.  But need some advise.  I have a 1986 Allegro with the front airbags blown out on both sides.  Air hose and routing looks good.  What should I replace them with?  Should I buy replacement or get the airbag kits that you install?  If anyone knows of a make a part number that will work best let me know.  Much appreciated.  Also if anyone has any kind of manuals for the Allegro that would be great.

Dick Larkin

Call Tiffin direct.  They have a great parts and service department and are noted for taking care of older motor homes.  Their number is:  Parts & Service: (256) 356-0261.  You will also need your vin number.

I was surprised at your question, I didn't know air-bags were around as early as 1986.

Marsha~

glarkin said:
Hi all, I tried to find this topic and found one post on it.  But need some advise.  I have a 1986 Allegro with the front airbags blown out on both sides.  Air hose and routing looks good.  What should I replace them with?  Should I buy replacement or get the airbag kits that you install?  If anyone knows of a make a part number that will work best let me know.  Much appreciated.  Also if anyone has any kind of manuals for the Allegro that would be great.

Dick Larkin

GM chassis? If so I bought mine @ Summit Racing on line. They were made by air lift, and I bought the kit and replaced the air lines too. It is a time consumming job and a few scraped knukels, but worth it. Handles much better.

Presumably this is a Chevy P30/P32 chassis with front air bags inside coil springs?  You can get replacements from several sources - just Google 'P30 airbag' and you should find several.  You can get air bags alone, or new coil springs with the bags, or stronger coil springs that don't need air bags at all.

Is this the older message you found?
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=28512.0

Here are a few sources:
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/chevy-p30-p32-motorhome-air-springs.cfm

Supersteer Coil springs (no airbags)

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/s/chevrolet__p30/Safety---Airbags.html

firestone air bags, air lift air bags, both make kits, I replaced mine and it took my son and I about 2 hrs to do and not hard, I got my kit off ebay for 90 bucks including shipping, just make sure you have a jack that will carry the load and good heavy jack stands as you will have to pull the tire off on the side your working on, they do make a big difference when installed I love mine, since we have older ones every bit helps,

Thanks all, so that I am clear.  Richard when you replaced yours did you use just a different kit and took out the old bags or did you have old bags in your springs.  It seems like there is a replacement kit that includes both bags and they are long and slinder and then the original bags that are rounder?  I have attached images of both, please let me know which one you used.  Thanks for all of your help.  Also great to hear that Allegro offers support.

Attachments

• firestone coil rite.jpg
    firestone coil rite.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 13
  • replacement airbags.jpg
    replacement airbags.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 8
mine was inside of the front springs, the top pic, the other looks like rear bags to me, I don't know if you have a ford or chevy chassis which would make a difference on what you have, call them and tell them what year and what chassis you have and they can tell you which kit or bags you need.

The lower picture looks like an air bag used with an air suspension (diesel pusher) coach. Those wouldn't fit in the Chevy P3x chassis coil springs.

As Richard says, you need to identify the chassis first. Then the proper bag can be determined. Is there a Chevy logo on the steering wheel or maybe a fender? The Chevy P30/P32 chassis had factory-standard front air bags inside of coil springs. The Ford chassis did not, but sometimes the motorhome manufacturer added rear bags.

It is a Chevy drive train, it currently has airbags that look like the second one that are installed in the springs, they are all dry rotted.  I was in hopes that I could go with the Firestone kit, since it looks a little easier to install.

those bags look like rear bags and not front bags or as Gary says air ride suspension, I haven't ever seen front chevy p30 with those on unless they have after market kit that was put on, can you take a pic and show us of the front end where they are installed. guess I am being a dunce here but don't see how they would go under the springs,

Glarken, If your airbags are inside the coil springs, and look like a bear to get out, they look like the top ones when new. Are you letting the color and the used up distorted shape of the old ones confuse you? I used orange ones to replace blue ones on mine. Used a sawzall, box cutter and small needle nose vice grips to get the old out, and a vacuum pump with zip ties to roll them up. Soapy water for lube.

Bill

Thanks Bill and all, I think you are correct.  I will buy the one the Firestone one, I believe it will work great.  I really appreciate everyones help. 

Dick

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom