Non-commercial class A written test in CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I looked in to the requirements for my trailer I went to the local DMV and told them I needed a non commercial class A because my 5th wheel trailer had a GVWR of 11,500 lbs. I had found the study guide on the web and they also had a handbook that was free.
Now this is after I have been to Alaska and back and had put about 20,000 miles on the trailer. After breezing through the study guide and realizing how stupid this requirement is, I said screw it and never pursued it.
I don't think there is a cop in the state that knows about the requirement or cares. Actually, it kind of reminds me of our gun laws in California.......idiotic.

Stan

Live in the fine state of Illinois. Found out a couple of years ago that we also need the non commercial license for trailers.of money Had to take writting test then come back another day and do driving test. Big waste of money

There are words in the Iowa motor code that could be read to require a special license for bigger rigs. We called the DMV to ask, and they said it was only drivers for hire. Just an interesting note.

As a commercial driver I can tell you that I always approach recreational vehicles with caution as I never know if the person behind the wheel can even spell "RV".  A little extra knowledge regarding operating a large vehicle isn't such a bad thing and if you've got air brakes it's even more important. Case in point:

A couple of weeks ago an RV'r was coming down Sylvan Pass to the east gate of Yellowstone. He'd apparently been on his brakes for just a little too long coming down the grade and they finally said enough is enough. With no service brakes he opted to engage the emergency brake (mis-named in my opinion) then got out of the drivers seat and bailed out the coach entry door as his rig left the road and went into the Shoshone River. He survived the experience but lost his rig and will undoubtedly be liable for a LOT of clean-up not to mention the tow bill. Would a non-commercial drivers license have prevented this mistake? Who's to say, but I'm guessing it might just have saved him some misery if he had been able to pass the test.

The bottom line is that RV's aren't cars, many are as heavy as a lot of Class A trucks rolling down the road. At the very least people should get the books from DMV, read and digest them. To ignore the fact that you "might" just learn something is foolhardy.

A loop hole in the CA drivers license law makes it possible for any driver with a standard class C license,  to drive any class A motorhome (2 or 3 axle),  even one of those giant 3 axle 54k GVW super C Freightliner or Volvo rigs (plus tow a trailer of less than 10k) ....as long as the "Housecar" (or motorhome) part is less than 40 foot long,

it says with a class C license you may drive "any housecar less than 40 foot long" ...... no weight restriction,  no air brake knowledge, not like any other large truck requires.

the average 5th wheel and pickup truck requires a non-com A or B.

Foto-n-T said:
Would a non-commercial drivers license have prevented this mistake? Who's to say, but I'm guessing it might just have saved him some misery if he had been able to pass the test.
So many people don?t understand mountain driving, even in cars. Sounds more like this was a result of a flat lander sitting on his brakes going down a grade. He probably would have done the same in a (more forgiving) car. I remember years ago driving down Pike?s Peak with all the kids in the minivan. There was a mandatory brake check part way down. If your brakes were hot, you had to pull over until they were cool. The checker was amazed that a minivan from Iowa had cool brakes coming down the grade, but we told him we had lived in mountains before and knew what a transmission should be used for. He smiled and waved us on, so we continued to head down the hill in an appropriate lower gear. That subject is covered in CDL books, but also in lots of videos. Not really much of an excuse for someone not to know.

sightseers said:
A loop hole in the CA drivers license law makes it possible for any driver with a standard class C license,  to drive any class A motorhome (2 or 3 axle),  even one of those giant 3 axle 54k GVW super C Freightliner or Volvo rigs (plus tow a trailer of less than 10k) ....as long as the "Housecar" (or motorhome) part is less than 40 foot long,

it says with a class C license you may drive "any housecar less than 40 foot long" ...... no weight restriction,  no air brake knowledge, not like any other large truck requires.

the average 5th wheel and pickup truck requires a non-com A or B.

I my state they don?t require firemen to have a CDL to drive air brake fire trucks. Seems silly.

Seems so funny regardless of air or regular your brakes tell you when they are hot. Stop using them when you smell it. Not saying you should ride them to that point. But if you do better start changing your driving habits.

There are words in the Iowa motor code that could be read to require a special license for bigger rigs. We called the DMV to ask, and they said it was only drivers for hire.
Ditto for Florida. Private motorhome drivers are specifically exempted from any special license class requirements for large vehicles. Farm vehicle drivers are also exempted, but under a different set of DMV regulations.

in the interest of National road safety is there any plan to standardize the non-com drivers license requirements.

I think in some rural states a 16 year old can drive anything.

sightseers said:
in the interest of National road safety is there any plan to standardize the non-com drivers license requirements.

I think in some rural states a 16 year old can drive anything.
Until a few years ago, CA boating rules required a water skiing "observer" to be at least 12 years old, but there was no minimum age for the boat driver. It took a number of accidents before they eventually imposed a 16 year minimum age for boat drivers.

I'm so confused. I'm just about done selling everything and jumping into my 39' motorhome with my Jeep in tow and I was just told that I need a special license by another RV owner.  When I registered it with the DMV 3 months ago I specifically asked if I needed a special license and the employee said NO.   

According to the California DMV, this is what it says for a Class C license:

With a Basic Class C license:
A 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less.
A 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. gross or less.
A motorized scooter.
Any housecar 40'or less.

I have a Class A motorhome with a GVWR of 32,000 and I'm towing a 5000 Jeep.  BUT if I look at whats written here:  https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2 (and as I wrote above) it says "any housecar 40' or less".  Do I not technically own a "housecar" and with mine being 39' long, is this a problem?

Can someone please tell me if I DO or DO NOT need to get a non commercial Class A license as a resident of the lovely state of CA? 

I'm beginning to panic because I'm supposed to set sail in less than 2 weeks and I read these horror stories about taking 9 months to get a license!

Thanks much for all your help on this!

P.S. Im actually leaving CA.  I'll still have my CA address until I find a new place to call home over the next year.  One thing I know for certain is that its NOT going to be in CA!  So with that said, do I need to be worried about other states driving on their roads with a Class C license from CA?

Don't panic, your existing CA class C license is all you need. CA DMV Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook (page 39) defines a housecar as:

"motor  vehicle  originally  designed,  or  permanently  altered,  and equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanently attached. (CVC ?362)".

Related question: any issues with a Class C license and a 10K pickup towing a 12K trailer?

Scott, no issues for anyone with a valid license from another state.

In my limited (40 years) experience, official CA docs are confusing at best, and CA DMV docs excel in confusion as do a number of their employees I've talked with on the phone and in person. So, read on at your risk. Here's what they say may be towed with a class C license:
  • A  single  vehicle  with  a  GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less including a tow dolly, if used.
  • If  the  towing  vehicle  weighs 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:
- Trailer  coach  not  exceeding 9,000 lbs. gross.
- Trailer  coach  or  5th-wheel travel  trailer  under  10,000 lbs.  GVWR  when  towing  is not for compensation.
- 5th-wheel      travel      trailer exceeding  10,000  lbs.  but not  exceeding  15,000  lbs. GVWR,  when  towing  is  not for compensation.

Thanks Tom. That is confusing, bullet point 4 (fifth wheel under 10K) seems to indicate a Class A would be required, while bullet point 5 (fifth wheel 10-15K) seems to say not.

In any case I have an out of state license so I'm good for a visit  :))

Scott, be sure not to expect a CA DMV employee to explain it  ;D

Back2PA said:
Thanks Tom. That is confusing, bullet point 4 (fifth wheel under 10K) seems to indicate a Class A would be required, while bullet point 5 (fifth wheel 10-15K) seems to say not.

In any case I have an out of state license so I'm good for a visit  :))

The way the law is written you can drive any motorhome (housecar) under 40 foot...no weight limit, with a standard Class C license.

you can tow any trailer up to 10k with a Class C license.

The 10 to 15K trailer tow law is the brake off point between non-com Class B and Class A.

Any trailer over 10k requires a B....any trailer over 15K requires a Class A non commercial license and CHP does enforce that law on CA registered vehicles.

The good news CHP never pulls over an out-of-state RV driver.    :))

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom