I will not be attending the Moab rally, probably ever again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
It's funny how these things come around.  And still people cannot communicate clearly.  A little back ground. 

After attending last years Moab rally and having a great time, we went into the office along with several other attendees to make a reservation for this year.  Which we did.  A few months later, when we abruptly sold our motor home and went back to a 5th Wheel, which we thought was forever ::) we called Portal and told them we would not be attended the rally, and wanted to cancel our reservation. 

Diane made the call, as she does most of our reservations. She talked to a VERY aggressive female employee who told her that cancellations were not permitted, and we would be charged the full amount of our reservation (one week I believe.)  Diane, not knowing what to say, hung up and came and told me.  I was clearly upset with Portals attitude.

I immediately called back and spoke to Doug, the owner.  I quoted him the text from Ardra's post here on the forum. 

If you plan to come to our rally, please make your reservation early.  If you decide six months from now that you cannot attend, it's easy to cancel, but it may not be as easy to get a site if you wait too long.  This year Portal was full every night during our rally.  We'll do it the same way we have in previous years, e.g. everyone makes their own INDIVIDUAL reservations.  We do not make group reservations like some of the more formal organizations such as FMCA.  This causes some confusion because Portal knows us as the RV Forum.  The owner, Doug, has been very accommodating by allowing us to register as individuals but treating us as a group so we can use the pavilion for happy hour and by putting on a dinner for us.  Portal likes having us and we like going there, but there have been a couple of issues regarding Portal's cancellation policy.  Betty Brewer, Jerry and Ardra met with Doug and we have agreed to the following arrangement that we hope will work for everyone.

Each person needs to call Portal to make their own reservation.  Portal's cancellation policy is that individuals can cancel up to 48 hours in advance of arrival without incurring charges for the entire time. Group reservations cannot be cancelled without being charged for the entire reserved time.  We are not set up with Portal as a formal group.  Our agreement with Doug is that we in the RV Forum will try to fill any cancellations within the RV Forum.  Doug realizes that we've been doing this informally but we are now making it formal.  I will be starting a list of attendees.  When you make your reservation, please let us know within this topic.  If you need to cancel your reservation, please let us know immediately within this topic so that someone else can take your reservation.  Doug requests that you please not hang on to your reservation for weeks thinking that it will help another RV Forum person.  If no one in the RV Forum speaks up and wants to take over your reservation within two days (not weeks!) please cancel right away because Portal needs to know if sites will be empty so they can fill them with non-RV Forum visitors.

He told me that this was a policy that he was going to change and that he would talk to Ardra about it.  He consented to cancel my reservation based on the previous understanding.  This was about 8 months prior to the event.

Fast forward and I find myself in another MH, this time for the long haul.  We decide to return to the Moab rally and call Portal for a reservation.  Which we did get. The resort side was not available, which we totally understood, but asked to be put on a waiting list.  We got the confirmation via e mail within minutes. 

Today, we get back from picking up the RV, and Diane showed me an e-mail from Portal.  The text of which is included below. 

Marty,

We noticed after booking your reservation yesterday for next May that you had a flag that was missed when the reservation was made.  The flag stated that you cancelled during a major event and that you were not understanding (very upset) to the reselling of your site.  Over major events we have a zero cancellation policy that is stated in your email confirmation and as a help for those canceling we try our hardest to resell the site.  Because of this situation that did arise we are canceling your reservation that was made October 21, 2013 for the dates of May 11 through May 16 2014.

Regards,

Jane

What a load of crap.  Obviously Doug is not happy with the arrangements he has made with the RV Forum group.  We attempted to abide by the letter of the conditions he had set forth, and this is what it got me!

That's OK, there are LOTS of places to stay in Moab, I can always find someplace to go. Just beware if anyone is going to cancel a reservation at Portal, it may very well be your last visit! 

Sounds like the same old Portal we've known since the current owners took over. Marty you are not the first, or second, or third.....

Marty,
If it were me I'd call and speak to Doug to make sure his underlings haven't made a mistake. If this did come from him, then I agree with you. Take your business elsewhere. Also if our Forum members are being treated this way, and apparently not the first time, why in the world are we doing business with this place? I certainly would not. Screw me once shame on you. Screw me twice shame on me. I usually don't get to the twice part....ever.

Things sure seem to have changed. The prior management went out of their way to accommodate our forum members with bookings, changes, and cancelations.

I understand the need to have a tough policy, especially with multiple groups wanting to hold rallies at the park. OTOH prior management had no issue keeping a waiting list and calling/emailing if a site opened up due to a cancelation.

That's exactly how I feel Koodog! I understand business, but someone has to get their rules straight. And since I had talked to Doug when I called, I'm pretty sure it's no mistake.  The "flag" had undoubtedly been placed on my name after I had talked to him the first time.

That's OK though, I vote with my feet. I wouldn't stay there now if it was free! And my best recourse is to make sure I tell everybody about the way I was treated.

And Diane just reminded me of another thing. When we cancelled last year, the main reason we were given so much grief was  "we are going to have a lot of trouble selling that site and will lose money".

When trying to get a site in the same area this year, she was told "Oh that's not possible. Our waiting list is pages long for those sites".

Sure.......

Sounds like some doubletalk by someone in that office. Either they have a tough time renting sites at that time of year (which I don't believe), or they have a long waiting list (which, from discussions with prior management, I know is true).

Koodog said:
Marty,
If it were me I'd call and speak to Doug to make sure his underlings haven't made a mistake. If this did come from him, then I agree with you. Take your business elsewhere. Also if our Forum members are being treated this way, and apparently not the first time, why in the world are we doing business with this place? I certainly would not. Screw me once shame on you. Screw me twice shame on me. I usually don't get to the twice part....ever.

There's been a time or two I got to the "third" time--- [family members]--- but I don't talk about it... or much to them either.

Ice

Incredable lack of integrity on the owners part. 

I have to work for a living so I'll not be attending but if I were, it would not be there.  It's the principal not the $ and so for that reason, I'd do what SargeW and others have/are doing and speak with my wallet....by taking it elsewhere.

Sarge, You just ran into the same thing I did last year. I was not welcome in the resort section because I had "an attitude" the previous year (apparently I also have a "red flat"). I got a lot of grief and finally just said screw it and stayed home. As Jeff said, you're not the first or second or third.... Maybe we could get a group to attend Moab but at a different park.

Tom said:
Things sure seem to have changed. The prior management went out of their way to accommodate our forum members with bookings, changes, and cancelations.

I understand the need to have a tough policy, especially with multiple groups wanting to hold rallies at the park. OTOH prior management had no issue keeping a waiting list and calling/emailing if a site opened up due to a cancelation.

Couple of sides to every story....I  have found Doug at Portal  to be very accommodating of the RVForum group and activities.  He provides a free pancake breakfast daily, a dinner and entertainment  one night.  He held his rates for a year because our group had reserved  in advance.  He follows our  RVForum on line and has been delighted to join us on some of our off road  runs. The park accommodates big rigs with the spaces we have been provided (always in the old section) We have stayed at at OK Corral before and  it is a bit tight but  perfectly adequate.  That  may be an alternative for those who choose to stay elsewhere. 

That's great Betty.  If Doug follows the forum here then maybe he'll share his side of the story about why he's flagging these members when they cancel and doing it within the peramiters that he's previously agreed to.

To no longer allow a customer simply because they've cancelled once is not poor customer service....it's no customer service.  If there's a different side to the story then I'd sure like to hear it.

Yeah, I am not sure why the Dr Jykel and Mr. Hyde attitude, but it was twice now that I have run into it.  I just don't have time to sweat someone else's issues. 

Couple of sides to every story...

Good point Betty, and we've only heard one side. But, reading back on prior similar discussions, this is not an isolated case. OTOH Portal's business is their business, and they can run it as they wish.

Tom said:
Good point Betty, and we've only heard one side. But, reading back on prior similar discussions, this is not an isolated case. OTOH Portal's business is their business, and they can run it as they wish.

Tom, you are absolutely correct, just not with any of our money. ???

Marty - give them another chance.  The rally is too much fun to let a little negativity run you off.  Hope to see you next year.  Bill

Well, if I do I won't be staying there Bill. I appreciate the kind thought though.  There are plenty of places to stay in and around Moab.

Marty, if you recall, at the last Happy Hour of the 2012 there was quite a bit of discussion about moving the location, and the timing.  It was obvious that those who organize this Rally were not interested in either.  Primarily, it is because it follows the FMCA 4wheeler Rally at Portal, which is the most convenient to a lot of attendees.  So, I guess as I was advised, you can always start your own Rally and see what comes of it.  However, be careful as trying to run 2 similar rallies at different parks and likely different times could just ultimately be the ruin of a very enjoyable rally (even though we also will never e able to attend it again).

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Marty, if you recall, at the last Happy Hour of the 2012 there was quite a bit of discussion about moving the location, and the timing.  It was obvious that those who organize this Rally were not interested in either.  Primarily, it is because it follows the FMCA 4wheeler Rally at Portal, which is the most convenient to a lot of attendees.  So, I guess as I was advised, you can always start your own Rally and see what comes of it.  However, be careful as trying to run 2 similar rallies at different parks and likely different times could just ultimately be the ruin of a very enjoyable rally (even though we also will never e able to attend it again).

Ed

Ed,

Historically this rally was a week earlier, but when we left for 2 years to do Hop-Skip-Jump FMCA moved into that week not only at Portal but at other parks in town. It would be hard to move the rally to a week earlier even at another park.

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom