LTV Free Spirit SS vs Unity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weirdstuff

We've narrowed down our search for our first RV to a LTV Free Spirit SS or a LTV Unity MB. There's 4 of us...me, husband and 2 medium sized dogs. Will be used for some short trips and some longer trips (1-3 months at a time).

I'm claustrophobic and both of these models have big bathrooms and have beds at the front of the vehicle where I don't feel closed in on.

Looking at pros and cons of each. Would love to hear input from other owners.

Leaning towards the Unity MB with optional U-shaped seating area. Don't have to make the bed every night, bed is bigger, seating area is more conducive to eating, talking, and playing cards, etc.. Has more outdoor storage than the Free Spirit.

But the Free Spirit SS has that big screen door to look out, window above the bed/couch, and actually seems to have more storage for clothes and stuff on the inside than the Unity does. Easier to drive and park since it's 2' shorter.

Can't get past the fact that making and un-making the bed in the Free Spirit every day will be a big pain in the butt.

Comments please!!

I feel your pain. Tough decision to make. If I didn't purchase my Winnebago ERA a couple years ago I would definitely be looking at the LTV lineup as well. I'm inclined to think that the Unity model will certainly offer a bit more comfort and living area when you stop. The Free Spirit SS although very nice ... I think is more conduct to one person on longer trips. I say that based on the fact that I travel alone. You would have to be really good travel partners in the Free Spirt SS. PLUS ... with two dogs ... just adds to the closed in feeling, depending on the size of the dogs. :)

That coach/sofa is not all the big even for two. And I agree making the bed every day would be a pain. I personally do like the Unity Murphy Bed and the bathroom is more sensible than most Class B's, although the Free Spirt SS did make a nice bathroom as well.

The extra length should be an issue. My ERA is 24' and I have no problem whatsoever.

Best of luck.

Karsty, thanks for your reply. We were looking at Winnebago Era's, and then discovered the LTV's. The Era is really nice!

Just back from the dealer and got to actually experience both exact models of LTV's that we like. They're both awesome. When we left the dealer, we decided we prefer the Free Spirit SS. But, by time we got home, we'd decided we prefer the Unity!  hahahaha!!! Probably change our minds again when we discuss it again over dinner.

It would be easy to decide, if there were a big price difference between the two. But they are only about $5,000 apart.

If I was just one person travelling, I'd get the Free Spirit SS.

With 2 of us and the 2 dogs (94# total of dogs), the ability to relax, lounge, live in comfort every day on a longer trip...definitely favor the Unity.

The bathrooms in both models are great. Spacious enough for 2 to share. The bed in the Free Spirit SS was amazingly comfy, and just 6" narrower than the bed in the Unity, so that's not a deal breaker. There was actually more storage on the interior of the Free Spirit SS...lots of drawers and cabinets for clothes, dog stuff, dog food, and small musical instruments (2 ukes and a fiddle). The liviing/dining area of the Unity was what stood out to us. It's more spacious, and the configuration is just more comfortable for hanging out, eating, working at the table, etc..

Not easy to figure out!! Like I said, if only there were a big price difference, that might sway us.

The sales person told us that they won't really deal on the prices because the LTV's are in such great demand and they have a hard time even getting them. He also told us that if we buy an RV somewhere else, they will not service them. Well, they are the only dealer within hundreds of miles, so, feeling a little pressured. And with tax, we are looking at close to $150,000. Damn!

Don't let the dealer bully you into thinking that you have to buy there. You can get chassis warranty work done at any dealer for that chassis and house repairs can be co-ordinated with the factory to be done at nearly any RV shop.

My point here is shop price nationwide. If you can save 10 or 20 grand it may well be worth a vacation trip to pick it up. And I know there are some dealers around that are willing to deal on those units

Steve, when you say, "you can get chassis warranty work done at any dealer," do you mean any LTV dealer? Because that's a problem. There's not another LTV dealer within at least a 5 hour drive of me, if not more.

You kinda have to think of an RV as two separate units, Chassis and House. Chassis items will get worked on at a automotive  or truck shop, House stuff gets worked on at a RV shop. It is a very rare case where that line gets blurred.

So, if the engine won't start, A RV shop can't do anything for you, or if they do, they will send it to the chassis dealer.

Update on our RV search. We've scrapped the idea of the LTV. We've come full circle back to the Airstreams. Looking at a 2013 Airstream Interstate EXT.

There are a couple things that drove us back to the Airstream. First is that we love how almost the entire body is windows. Second, is that unfortunately, we both come from design professions (architect and photographer), and therefore, we are design snobs, and the Airstreams are just so darn nice. ugh. It can be expensive having a great sense of design. :(

I found that I am able to get into the tiny bathroom, shut the door behind me, and not freak out. But, either way, showers will be really short!

Going back tomorrow to have another look at them.

The Maiden Voyage.....picked her up on Saturday, drove to Santa Barbara for 3 nights, then back to San Diego. Fun times, but damn, we are dumb as freakin' doorknobs about all this RV stuff. So much to learn!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0757.JPG
    IMG_0757.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 53
weirdstuff said:
The Maiden Voyage.....picked her up on Saturday, drove to Santa Barbara for 3 nights, then back to San Diego. Fun times, but damn, we are dumb as freakin' doorknobs about all this RV stuff. So much to learn!!!

She looks great!!! Enjoy your travels. :)

Congratulations! That's one sharp-looking RV.

How much difference was there price-wise? We are thinking about a Class B as well, and the Leisure Time with the slide out seemed like a great option. I'm really curious as to what prices you were offered on the two LT models, and what you ended up paying for the Airstream Interstate (if you are willing to share that info)?

We never got around to talking price on the LTV's, since we were still looking around.

If I remember correctly, the Airstream MSRP was higher than the LTV.

Very glad we bought the Airstream. Didn't like the space in the LTV's when the slide was not out. Liked having all the windows in the airstream better. And what I thought would be a major issue, having a much tinier bathroom in the Airstream, has turned out to not be an issue at all. And, we can easily seat 6 people in the airstream, which we have done for a day trip.

Some other points as well, that swayed us to the Airstream.

Back
Top Bottom