It's official

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chet18013

Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
Laurie and I completed the transfer of the titles of our Monaco and Dakota to South Dakota and also obtained SD driver's licenses yesterday. We are now officially residents of Emery, SD, population 410, or at least that's where our mail is going. It was a very easy transition. As long as you show up with the proper documents, it's a 20 minute task for the titles and another 20 minutes for the DL. They even accepted my PA CDL and gave me a SD CDL.

We are now officially full timers and are at Twin Rivers state park, just outside of Waterloo, NE for  few days and a visit to the Omaha Zoo.

It's about time :)  Congratulations.  Will you be coming our way?

Chet,

Congratulations.  I was wondering why you chose SD as your "home" instead of Florida or Texas. 

Mike Wagner

Chet,

Welcome to South Dakota!

We stayed a a little city park, Walnut Creek and Recreation Area, in Papillion to visit the zoo. It was very nice, but electric only with water and dump available.

I enjoyed the zoo and touring around old downtown Omaha.

We are still in California, but headed for Surprise.

ken

ceemike said:
Chet,

Congratulations.  I was wondering why you chose SD as your "home" instead of Florida or Texas. 

Mike Wagner

I think its a tax thing! ::)

Scott  :)

Hi Chet,

Congratulations on your new "home"! Since you abandoned PA, we spent a night at Cabelas in Hamburg. ;D ;D We visited the Omaha Zoo when we were stranded two years ago in Lincoln, NE. I've been working on some photos to post on FB but other things keep getting in the way.

Mike

>>I thought it might be something else since none of the 3 states have a state income tax as far as I know.<<

It only has a 3% sales tax on vehicle purchases, really helps on expensive car/RV purchases.

No vehicle inspections or special driver  licenses.

SD not only has one of the lowest (if not the lowest) tax per person but is also RV friendly. When I hear stories of having to use relatives or friends address to get around local residency requirements I am thankful we do not have to misrepresent our status.

Full Timing is well known in SD and an amusing local newspaper article was an interview of a Democratic contender for the state legislator who was complaining that the Tower Campground had 75 sites or so and had 8000 Republicans registered at that address. :p The Governor made it clear that RVers were welcome in SD and represented a significant source of state revenue. An agreement was reached that you had to reside in hour precinct for the 30 days before an election to vote on local issues and for local political offices.

By that I mean everyone is aware you are an RVer with different requirements. If your name comes up for jury selection in Minnehaha County you can call and will be put on a standby list until you return. Last year we were headed to the east coast from AZ and Sue's driver's license was due for renewal in late June. She called the SD Dept of Public Safety and in 20 minutes was emailed a three month extension at no charge.

Terry & Jeff,

Thanks for the replies.  That's the kind of info I was looking for.  I know that a lot of full timers become legal residents of either TX or FL, so I thought there must be reasons other than no state income tax to choose SD as a home state since it's not a good state to winter in.  SD sounds like it's RVer friendly.

Mike Wagner

All this talk of "no income tax" makes me want to move. The income tax here in Oregon is insane  :(

Back
Top Bottom