General RV new Tampa location!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott-0168

Just received a newsletter from General RV. Says they will be opening there 11th RV center near Tampa, Florida off I-4 sometime in the near future. Says it will be on a 30 acre site with full sales and service.
Must be they know something we don't about the future of the RV.  8)

Scott  :)

They are also building a new building and expanding their store in North Canton Ohio. I am going to their Salt Lake store tomorrow, will ask some questions...

I like General RV....have an old classmate who works for them and he loves the place after leaving brand X!

Jim

They are also building a corporate/sales/service store in Wixom MI. I think it opens in the summer of 2014.

Pepper3 said:
They are also building a corporate/sales/service store in Wixom MI. I think it opens in the summer of 2014.

Yup, this is a big facility but seems to be just a tad behind schedule. I deal with there location in Taylor, MI if I need any parts.

I've shopped them, as well as CW, here in the jacksonville area.
My issue with both of these is that they are very guarded against browsing.  Bad business model I think.
DW and I actually got a sitter one day to go browse, and were turned away from General becasue all the salesman were with customers.  We just wanted to browse the lot, to try on a few to get a feel for what we liked and didn't like in a floor plan.  We were serious buyers too.... ended up with our current coach within a month or so of that incident.

We went back there anyway, to give them another chance after we had found a used unit at another dealer and we were serioulsy considering one of theirs instead. Pretty much ready to pull the trigger on something.  So the salesman driving us in the cart wouldn't even stop when we drove by a particular unit and I asked to see it.  It was a higher price point than I was shopping, so he assumed that I couldn't afford it!  refused to show it.  i even asked 2 more times before he told me!!!

Regardless, they must be doing ok.

I have to say when I went to General..... Well,, I've been there many times in the parts and accessory department,, Starting when they were General Trailer, a little store in Ferndale Mi on the north side of 8 mile road.. I got things there like Bearing Buddies for my PUP.

Then they "Upgraded" to General Trailer and started opening branches all over.  I got a few things there too.  They installed the small receiver on my Chevy Lumina (Turns out the service consultant who wrote it up was. MY NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR at home at the time)

Finally I went to the Novi RV show and picked out a unit.. Went back to Wixom store a few days later to write it up (Show price).

So we never really browsed the lot.. Only the indoor store.

So I never noticed that.. 

Same at CW, Never browsed the lot.  Just the shelves.  (Need to visit the store in Savannah soon for a few goodies other dealers in this area do not have).

Stopped in at Dick Gore RV.. Very small Shelf store (Goodies store) and I'm not doing lots just now.  Will be going back to Sanannah most likely in 2 weeks.

Got my 10 pack of internet LES's a couple days ago... Not bad, not as good as my Eco-Leds, but at about 12% the price. NOT COMPLAINING  way better than the first batch of LED's I bought (Those sucked)  I LIKE LED lighting.

"So the salesman driving us in the cart wouldn't even stop when we drove by a particular unit and I asked to see it."

If that happened to me, when he did stop, I would have gotten out and immediately walked back to the sales area and asked for the sales manager and another salesman. I have never met a salesman who wasn't ready to up sell me given an opportunity.

You know, i should add a comment
The guy was correct that i wasn't serius about buying the unit and almost certainly would have been a waste of his time.

We were looking at low end Class C's (like the Thor 31L that we ended up in, except he was showing us a low end coachman), and the unit I wanted to see was the Thor Super C on the F-550 chassis..... so it was a stretch in budget, but I was put off by the restrictions in browsing none the less!

Actually, now that i'm thinking about that day, there was a second unit he refused to show us..... Another I wasn't serious about but curious.... I had seen the Outlaw clas A toy hauler online, and was interested in seeing it first hand, with the loft bed above and all...... happened to be passing 6 ft from it so i asked, and again he didn't stop.

Truthfully, neither unit were something that we were serious about, and I had mentioned that I only wanted to pop in for a 1 minute looksee.... really just part of my dreaming/information collecting/process of elimination.....so in the end, he was wise..... or was he?
I didn't buy my coach from General......

Spent a lifetime in sales and know that there are many, many times when customers were motivated to buy something they hadn't considered because they saw it and the unit or item sold itself.  I wouldn't want to limit myself to just what the customer knows he wants before he sees other things.

Bought my current 5th wheel from the Mt. Clemens location. I've browsed the lot there many times it must be a local thing.

Having been the salesman driving the cart, and an empathetic guy, I did do the extra stops, wasted a lot of the customers time who was just wondering, used up their budgeted time to spend on the lot and lots of my time to be productive.  It would depend on the unit, and how much more it was priced.  If it was double, they have no real interest, if it was within 10 20% it might be worth it. 

I disagree with the no browse, but after seeing what some folks do while 'browsing' open units, I can also see why they have the rule.  I know 'You' would never do anything, but they don't know who 'You are' or who 'They' are.  How about missing drawer and cabinet door handles?  Little stuff, but it happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom