I'm thinking about starting a trip planning service. Not!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COMer

The wife and I were sitting at home in PA, in September, thinking how warm it still was and remembering that my two sisters in SD and WY were already commenting on the glorious fall days that were sunny and crisp and comfortable.  We recalled how the aspens would be turning golden and contrasting with the black hill's pines and how nice long hikes were at that time of the year.
So, we packed up and headed out.  We made it and created a list of all the national parks we wanted to visit, and there are some great parks in the Custer and Black Hills area.  We got to Wind Cave for a night and then the congress got word of our plans and shut us down.  We had park after park where there was no official presence and no cost to maintain it, get shut down by people making money.  The whole area seemed to be under the control of the meltdown and was unavailable to us.  So, as reasonable intelligent beings, we decided that we would borrow a friend's remote cabin and hang out there with some friends.  You all heard what happened next.  Deadwood and Lead got 5 feet of snow with twelve foot drifts and we were just south of there, near Hill City.  30,000 people were stranded without electricity or most conveniences.  We were four of them.  Days later, when the big road graders came through and rescued us, we were ready.  I don't think any of is want to spend time together ever again.
But we did get out and headed back to where the trailer was parked so I could marvel over how a tree could fall near my trailer and not miss it.  The tree punched two holes through the roof and some other collateral damage.  The insurance company was alerted and I started for home, wounded and damaged.  The trailer too.
We are home again in PA and wondering how soon we will feel comfortable making plans for the next trip.  I know it will happen some day.  Maybe it will be nice in FL this winter.

Life is such an adventure.  Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us.  I had a little chuckle until I read about the tree.  Oh crap!

You guys went the wrong direction. The only way to go in October is south ! But you'll always remember this trip, more than the ones where nothing "interesting" happens :)

Hey John,

With that kind of luck you might get a winter Hurricane in Florida. Might just stay home and keep us Floridians safe!! ;D ;D ;D

All is well that ends well, don't sweat the small stuff...

There is an old saying "No battle plan ever survives the first encounter with the enemy"

A slight edit: No Travel Plan ever survives the first encounter with something interesting or with the first "Issue" (Flat tire, Stolen something, Blown Transmission, Closed road and so on and on and on).

Back
Top Bottom