12 volt circuit breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwcook

:(  I just picked up a new 2014 Winnie Minnie (2201DS).  At the showroom, the dealer showed me that everything worked when it was plugged into 110.  But he/we neglected to check the 12 volt system.  After bringing the camper home, I tried to show my wife how things worked, but nothing did.  Even when my tow vehicle is plugged in, nothing works inside the camper.  But the emergency break systems works when the safety tab is pulled and all the exterior running lights and break lights work when plugged into my truck.

The owners manual claims there is a "30 amp circuit breaker located inside a covered junction box attached inside the front cross member of the A-frame."  But all I was able to find were the two where the red positive cable from the battery is connected to some type of junction terminals (no box, but they have plastic covers over the posts).  There is no circuit breaker associated with those terminals.  My call to the dealer and his service manager also found that they were not aware of any circuit breakers outside the camper.

They offered to call Winnebago on Monday, but we're supposed to leave on a trip from Ohio to Florida this Monday and I'd like to get this resolved before then.  Any suggestions?

Sometings they are there, sometimes not..

Just inside the door on many RV's (others it's on the dash or high up on a wall) is a switch, It may say AUX or it may say USE/STORE.. Turn it on (USE) and while doing so listen for a CLUNK..

NOTE: this may be a 3 position center off, spring return momentary switch, IF it is, don't worry the solenoid (relay size large) is a "Latching" type.

Track that clunk as you tap the switch (Takes 2 folks) Odds are the breaker, if it it exists, is near where the clunk comes from..  Like the bottom of the box the solenoid (The device going clunk) is in  This may be a POST type (PUSH, very hard, to reset)

On mine, it shows on the Battery Control Schematic, but Damon used a different breaker (Type and location are both differenet) which makes my life much easier.

Note this is a travel trailer, not a Winnebago motorhome.  As such it has a circuit breaker on the charging line coming from the tow vehicle.  This line is protected by a circuit breaker on the trailer, so that a short in the trailer or tow vehicle won't draw too much current through it (current can flow either from the tow vehicle to the trailer, or from the trailer battery back into a short in the tow vehicle).

The terminals you saw when you  looked inside the box on the trailer's A-Frame may be a disconnect relay as John described, or it may be the circuit breaker protecting the tow vehicle charging line from excess current.

12 volt circuit breakers often look like nothing more than a small box with two posts sticking out of the top.  Some are self-resetting and will restore themselves after they cool down, others require you to press a little tab on the top or side to reset them.

If it is the tow vehicle charging line breaker, it has nothing to do with whether or not you have 12 volt power inside the trailer.

What was the resolution from this?  I am having the exact same issue on my 2451BHS.

dwcook said:
:(  I just picked up a new 2014 Winnie Minnie (2201DS).  At the showroom, the dealer showed me that everything worked when it was plugged into 110.  But he/we neglected to check the 12 volt system.  After bringing the camper home, I tried to show my wife how things worked, but nothing did.  Even when my tow vehicle is plugged in, nothing works inside the camper.  But the emergency break systems works when the safety tab is pulled and all the exterior running lights and break lights work when plugged into my truck.

The owners manual claims there is a "30 amp circuit breaker located inside a covered junction box attached inside the front cross member of the A-frame."  But all I was able to find were the two where the red positive cable from the battery is connected to some type of junction terminals (no box, but they have plastic covers over the posts).  There is no circuit breaker associated with those terminals.  My call to the dealer and his service manager also found that they were not aware of any circuit breakers outside the camper.

They offered to call Winnebago on Monday, but we're supposed to leave on a trip from Ohio to Florida this Monday and I'd like to get this resolved before then.  Any suggestions?

why not simply return to dealer and get it fixed seeing as u just picked it up? the exterior lites that work have no bearing on the battery system in the trailer
The fact the break away brake  system works it shows the batterys in the trailer are charged so there must be a 12V disconnect switch same as a motorhome uses somewhere in the trailer

buchman, look at the date of the post. That happened last October. I'm sure they resolved the issue. 

Rene T said:
buchman, look at the date of the post. That happened last October. I'm sure they resolved the issue.
haha what a frigging dummy, my bad thanks for that I surely must pay attention for sure on how old the posts are
sure hope he found the 12V disconnect switch (haha)

Back
Top Bottom