Replacing Norcold 1200 with residential fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macktee

Pueblo El Mirage (Winter) Canada (Summer)
I got a super deal on a Samsung 197 3 door fridge at Home Depot. I found someone supposedly qualified to install the new one and take out the old one. However, the Norcold has never missed a beat, and I told him so. However, there has not been any offer of some kind of compensation for the old fridge. Should I even bother pursuing this or just let him take it away.
The reason for the change, even though we have had all recalls done, is that I don't feel safe when sleeping. This may sound crazy but I just couldn't do it anymore. Thanks for listening. Tom

Tom,

If you have a place to store it, and it is in good shape cosmetically, I might put it out there on one of the lists for someone to buy. A lot of folks have no issue with that fridge and cannot do the upgrade to residential. It has some resale value.

Kim

Before you remove it get it advertised on Craigslist or whatever local advertising you have and let the buyer know they can see it running for the "next __ days". We did that and had a buyer in three days for $275. They picked it up after we had removed it a week later.

Like you, I replaced my Norcold 1200 with a Samsung 197. The Norcold ran fine but I, too, was worried about the fire potential. I had all the recalls done, too. After removing the 4 year old Norcold I was shocked to find black scorch marks on the cabinet back wall from excess heat and a lot of rust on the condenser pipe. After that I decided I didn't want anyone else risking a fire using my Norcold. It wasn't worth a few hundred dollars to me so I simply junked it.

Having already junked a 5 year old Samsung residential fridge that failed utterly in our stick house, I'm not sure that one is any better than the other. Haven't heard of any Samsungs catching fire, though!

How are you all securing the residential refrigerators to keep in place while going down the road? 
We are going to buy a 5er and full time, and we definitely want a residential fridge with ice/water.

Thanks!

I used 4 small shelf brakets, two on the bottom front and two on the rear of the refridgerator.

I also use brackets on top of the refer. Then add insulation all around so the outside air does not come in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom