How should towing "Feel"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeonineThor

So, I just returned from 1200 mile trip to pick up my new 5th Wheel (yes, I saved enough money to make that drive worth it).  I would like people to describe how it "feels" to tow a 5th wheel.  I know my truck and the camper are within specs - but I don't "feel" the truck capicity is adequate.  I don't want to get into a discussion about weights and limits etc - I've done all that and on paper I'm fine.

For example - when I towed my bumper hitch pop-up camper, I knew it was back there, I would sometimes feel a hiccup over bumps, or a nudge if my brake controller was set a little too soft.  I could tell if I left my sway bars off for the 1/2 mile from storage to my house.  My pickup speed was a bit lower, but I could still go.  In the mountains of Colorado I could maintain the posted 40 MPH no sweat.  On the interstates I was at 65, but some of the 7% grades up the passes I would definitely drop down significantly.

I sold my popup and truck and got new of both - so I have no frame of reference anymore.

Towing the 5er - I'm just not so sure if what I am feeling is towing a different/larger (3 times the weight of the popup) camper, or is the truck really not being big enough. 

So - what does a normal tow feel like, and what do you look for when the truck is struggling.  Also, what kind of MPG do people get when towing?  When you let off the brake, does the truck have the power to creep the trailer without gas?  What gear do you maintain on the interstate?

Thanks a bunch!

I think we need a bit more information.  What exactly (or approximately) is it that feels different, or not right?  And without the type of 5th wheel and truck, it's very difficult to even make assumptions.  I just don't have enough to even take a guess at.

I tow a 5000# 5th wheel....It feels heavy. I also towed a 2000# popup with my SUV. It also felt heavy, not as heavy as the 5th wheel, but still heavy. I think it is to be expected....These guys with the big diesels who say they cant feel the trailer back there are just bragging a bit I think. If you are towing a trailer, you should not forget its there, so feeling it is a good thing in my mind anyways.

As for mileage, mine drops about 5-6 mpg with the trailer on.

I can definitely "feel" my trailer.  Especially on a rough road!  I can tell that I'm towing 14,000lbs down the road.  But with smooth level asphalt, the miles just melt away.  I've been through Colorado and a lot of Western states.  The Cummins does a good job at hauling, but I have gotten down to 30-40 MPH on the steep grades.  I have a pyrometer and usually let that dictate when the engine needs more air (downshift) or when I'm pushing things hard enough.

I get about 9MPG towing.

Driving across Iowa we were trying to maintain 64 MPH.  Truck did this just fine at maybe 1800-2000RPM.  IA is hilly - nothing major, but to maintain that 64MPH the truck would downshift at least once to 2500RPM, and was occassionally trying to go down twice and the RPM would jumpt to 3000+.  We averaged 7.2 MPG from MI to CO. From what I hear around town is that 6-9 MPG seems to be a reasonable expectation regardless of truck/trailer combo.

What I am feeling nervous about is the power required to get the unit moving in the first place.  No fast start for sure.  But I was use to being able to creep in traffice by barely goosing the gas - that is definitely NOT happening with my set up.

I'm going to probably go out driving to some mountains this weekend...of course that will require backing the thing back into storage again - but that is a whole different learning curve/topic!

Keep your comments coming!
Thanks
-Leo

LeonineThor said:
Driving across Iowa we were trying to maintain 64 MPH.  Truck did this just fine at maybe 1800-2000RPM.  IA is hilly - nothing major, but to maintain that 64MPH the truck would downshift at least once to 2500RPM, and was occassionally trying to go down twice and the RPM would jumpt to 3000+.  We averaged 7.2 MPG from MI to CO. From what I hear around town is that 6-9 MPG seems to be a reasonable expectation regardless of truck/trailer combo.

What I am feeling nervous about is the power required to get the unit moving in the first place.  No fast start for sure.  But I was use to being able to creep in traffice by barely goosing the gas - that is definitely NOT happening with my set up.

I'm going to probably go out driving to some mountains this weekend...of course that will require backing the thing back into storage again - but that is a whole different learning curve/topic!

Keep your comments coming!
Thanks
-Leo

Leo - as stated above, it would be helpful to know what kind of truck you are towing with.  Those mileages are low and would seem to indicate a gas engine.

If you trying to tow a 30+ fifth wheel with a 3/4 ton gas truck, then yes you will feel everything and be really really slow in the mountains.  If on the other hand your towing a 30 foot fiver with a one ton diesel you will know it's back there but it should pull like a race horse.  You claim you are fine with the numbers.  What numbers?  Dry fiver weight and the advertised dry trucks weight numbers, or scale ready to travel weights?  We really need a lot more information.  No brand wars, but we sure do need facts and figures.

Phil Hyde said:
Leo - as stated above, it would be helpful to know what kind of truck you are towing with.  Those mileages are low and would seem to indicate a gas engine.

I would agree.  And trailer.  Just because you say they are within specs, doesn't mean the truck is necessarily up to the task of pulling whichever trailer you have.  As Donn said, if you have a gas truck, 3/4 or 1 ton, you're going to feel it when you pull a 5th wheel.  Specs are one thing...reality is another.

I agree with DONN. I drive a 2008 F250 crew cab, long bed, diesel. I pull a 14,000 34 foot 5er and I hardly know it's back there sometimes. I will admit that putting in air bags in the coils of the pickup helped. Prior to the air bags, my rear end dropped a bit when I hooked up. (Boy, I hate when that happens.) With the air bags I pump them up to 20 lbs and my truck is as straight as it can be.
I have towed my trailer across the US, through the mountains, and up into Canada. Performance of the turbo diesel has been great, allowing me to pass many others going uphill. My Ford has tow/low which downshifts for me and when I have cruise on and tow/low on, I almost don't have to brake going downhill.
Now, all that being said, I'm not going to blow anyone off the line, but I'd try.

Bob

LeonineThor said:
So, I just returned from 1200 mile trip to pick up my new 5th Wheel (yes, I saved enough money to make that drive worth it).  I would like people to describe how it "feels" to tow a 5th wheel.  I know my truck and the camper are within specs - but I don't "feel" the truck capicity is adequate.  I don't want to get into a discussion about weights and limits etc - I've done all that and on paper I'm fine.

For example - when I towed my bumper hitch pop-up camper, I knew it was back there, I would sometimes feel a hiccup over bumps, or a nudge if my brake controller was set a little too soft.  I could tell if I left my sway bars off for the 1/2 mile from storage to my house.  My pickup speed was a bit lower, but I could still go.  In the mountains of Colorado I could maintain the posted 40 MPH no sweat.  On the interstates I was at 65, but some of the 7% grades up the passes I would definitely drop down significantly.

I sold my popup and truck and got new of both - so I have no frame of reference anymore.

Towing the 5er - I'm just not so sure if what I am feeling is towing a different/larger (3 times the weight of the popup) camper, or is the truck really not being big enough. 

So - what does a normal tow feel like, and what do you look for when the truck is struggling.  Also, what kind of MPG do people get when towing?  When you let off the brake, does the truck have the power to creep the trailer without gas?  What gear do you maintain on the interstate?

Thanks a bunch!

Not enough information what truck and what trailer?
Bill

:-[ :'(  I am coming to realize I have made a huge mistake.  I got the deal of the year buying my truck (Ram1500 5.7Hemi 3.92axle)...then picked a Laredo 275sbh.  Truck has a 1400 payload capacity with 10000 tow.  I put in a B&W turnover ball as that weighs less than a traditional hitch.  The camper has 1195 payload and weighed 7200 on this trip.  So, while the truck "can" tow this....I'm beginning to conclude that it "shouldn't."  Sooo....time to cut my losses and look to a bigger vehicle.  Understanding I will drive less than 500 miles towing in a year (all of it mountain driving) - give me some thoughts on ram2500 vs F250.

And please, I already know I've F'd up - let's not rehash my mistake and help me get a truck that will fix it!
Thank you,
-Leo

If you will travel in your RV less than 500 miles a year, have you thought about having your RV towed to your destination by a professional?  Seems like a LOT of expense for just a few trips.

LeonineThor said:
:-[ :'(  I am coming to realize I have made a huge mistake.  I got the deal of the year buying my truck (Ram1500 5.7Hemi 3.92axle)...then picked a Laredo 275sbh.  Truck has a 1400 payload capacity with 10000 tow.  I put in a B&W turnover ball as that weighs less than a traditional hitch.  The camper has 1195 payload and weighed 7200 on this trip.  So, while the truck "can" tow this....I'm beginning to conclude that it "shouldn't."  Sooo....time to cut my losses and look to a bigger vehicle.  Understanding I will drive less than 500 miles towing in a year (all of it mountain driving) - give me some thoughts on ram2500 vs F250.

And please, I already know I've F'd up - let's not rehash my mistake and help me get a truck that will fix it!
Thank you,
-Leo
Leo, where do you live?

A friend of mine is selling his '08 Dodge Mega Cab, Hemi 5.7 Ram2500 (health reasons... he can't drive anymore). VERY Low mileage, HD everything. Crew cab. VERY well maintained.

He towed a 5,000K ultralight trailer. The truck was WAY over-kill for that.

I can find out more specifics, if you're interested. It's a beautiful truck. He lives in Apple Valley, CA

Attachments

• DSC07231a.jpg
    DSC07231a.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 11
This is the question. Is your truck equipped with the complete factory tow package for that payload? Or is it simply a model that can be optioned for it?

If you really only go 500 miles a year.
And you are truly within the numbers.
And the trailer isn't wagging the dog.
Keep the truck, what you are describing is more about being underpowered, than bad handling. Plenty of underpowered trucks out there. They're the ones in the right lane. Don't flog a little dog trying to keep up with the big dogs. 500 miles of hard work every year is not going to significantly harm an individual truck, with a factory rating for the weight you tow. You don't need a fast truck, you need a truck that'll get there and back safely. For about 500 miles a year.

Leo, you really have 2 separate issues you want to take into consideration:

1. The weight of the 5'er. You have already noted above that your current 1,400 payload capacity is not up to the task. You will want to know the GVWR of the 5'er to be sure but most 3/4 ton trucks will have the cargo capacity and tow rating you need.

2. The performance. If you are not happy with the pulling power, speed on hills, mileage, etc., then you will want to think about a diesel truck. For example, a 2500 Ram with the same engine will not change your towing performance one bit. Personally, I am happy with the way my gas engine pulls my 8,500 lb trailer but others prefer the better pulling power of diesel.

Joe

driftless shifter said:
This is the question. Is your truck equipped with the complete factory tow package for that payload? Or is it simply a model that can be optioned for it?

If you really only go 500 miles a year.
And you are truly within the numbers.
And the trailer isn't wagging the dog.
Keep the truck, what you are describing is more about being underpowered, than bad handling. Plenty of underpowered trucks out there. They're the ones in the right lane. Don't flog a little dog trying to keep up with the big dogs. 500 miles of hard work every year is not going to significantly harm an individual truck, with a factory rating for the weight you tow. You don't need a fast truck, you need a truck that'll get there and back safely. For about 500 miles a year.

Yes, factory tow package.  I have a gooseneck (lower weight than traditional 5er hitch - I think).

We don't go very far at all.  I am fortunate to live 5 miles from the mountains and we have tons of campgrounds in the rugged wilderness within 25 miles.  We take 1 long trip a year - this year will be Arches in Moab - it is making it up I70 over the continental divide and to the Eisenhower tunnel that has me freaked out.  Next year will be Yellowstone....don't know the highways, but I know the pass into Jackson Hole is miserable.

Joezeppy said:
2. The performance. If you are not happy with the pulling power, speed on hills, mileage, etc., then you will want to think about a diesel truck. For example, a 2500 Ram with the same engine will not change your towing performance one bit. Personally, I am happy with the way my gas engine pulls my 8,500 lb trailer but others prefer the better pulling power of diesel.

Joe

So - help me out here.  If they are putting the same V8 5.7 Hemi engine in the 1500 as the 2500...how can the tow capacity change?  I assume the payload changes because of the construction of the frame....but it is still the same engine that can now tow more?  Obviously there is more to it, but what is it?

Frame, springs, axles, brakes, tires, wheels, transmission are all part of the capacity packages. Don't make the mistake to look at "dry"weights.  They are meaningless in the real world.  Out here what counts is gross weights.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom