Heater at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barryn514

Just wondering how many go to sleep in their RV with the heater on?

My wife and I have always been concerned about that so at night we run a small electric heater instead.

We used to use the propane furnaces in our previous two motorhomes on a fairly regular basis - day and night. I kept them well maintained and always kept the vents cracked and one of our bedroom windows open a bit - just in case. Never had any problems. When dry-camping we never used an electric heater, because at the time, we didn't have an inverter. Our current MH has the Aqua-Hot system and we plan to use it whenever it gets too cold for the heat pumps or when hookups aren't available. Seems to be a well-designed system with a good safety record.

Kev

If it's chilly enough, I leave the electric fireplace on low and if it's really chilly then I have an electric heater I also set on low.  And then just to make doubly sure if it's really, really cold, then I'll set the thermostat for the gas furnace on low also.  I don't have a problem with running the furnace while sleeping.  It is noisy but it doesn't bother us.  But I mainly run it because it also keeps our plumbing from freezing.  And I always have a window cracked somewhere and make sure our gas detectors are all functional.

It depends on two or three or four things.

4: Does the blasted furnace work? (If not then no)
3: Am I out of Propane (If yes, then no)

Now the two that you are wondering about.

How cold is it outside: There comes a point where I can not pump enough electric heat into the house to keep it warm.. Long around 25 degrees or so with wind on a 30 amp site.. I'm gonna need the furnace.

2B: how much electricity do I have.

1: Is the electricity included in the site rental?
  If I have to pay for the kilowatts.. Propane is cheaper (usually)

As to worries: The RV furnace (An Attwood in my case) has all sorts of safety interlocks and is vented.. There is nearly NO danger from using it provided it is properly maintained.    Maintenance is the key.

Question:  In your sticks and bricks do you heat with

1: Electricity
2: Fuel oil
3: Natural gas
4: Wood, More wood, there's nothing in the world that will make you feel good, Like Wood, Fire Wood, I should be out chopping more wood.

(yes you can sing line 4)

If you heat the house with Nautral Gas.. The dangers are the same as heating your RV with a proper Propane Furnace.  Possibly slightly greater as the furnace in the house is more likely to rust out and is very likely older as well.

There should be very little concern over the safety of the furnace. The combustion portion of the furnace is completely isolated from the inside of the RV. I uses a fan to pull in outside air for combustion and also to exhaust to the outside.

Joel

We always use electric heat if shore power is available, but would not be afraid to use the propane furnace if it was cold and that's all that was available. I know our furnace is in good operating condition.

There is really very little risk in an LP furnace. There has to be a hole in the heat exchanger or a bad gasket on the exhaust housing to allow CO into the interior - the design of the furnace totally isolated the combustion air (intake & exhaust) from the circulating hot air inside. Basically, as long as you don't smell even a hint of exhaust gas inside the RV, your furnace is probably working as designed and safe to use at any time. But if you do smell any fumes, I would not use the furnace day or night.

I'm not convinced that having a windows or vent open "just a crack" would do any good if there is a CO leak into the interior. CO is chemically more active than the free O2 in the air and will displace it in your lungs and blood. That's why CO is so dangerous

Thanks for all the replies! now the wife and I feel better.

Not that it get that cold around here ( San Diego ) but we venture out to the woods sometime.  ;)

I would hope that everything in the coach is in perfect working condition since we bought this MH last week new.

The only way that I would use an electric heater is if I could plug it directly into a shoreline post.  Those little electric ones can use a lot of juice and trip your GFCIs.  I had my lp furnce checked out and it works good, maybe too good.  I like sleeping in the cold anyway.

I have a smoke detector, gas detector, and carbon monoxide in my fig, all with fresh batteries.

I use electric exclusively as my propane heater is very, very noisy. I use a oil filled radiator style electric heater, it is not FAST on supplying quick heat, but once warmed up keeps my very small 5th wheel (18.5 feet) warm and toasty and is totally safe and silent. It is also very efficient on electric.

This is the one I use!

I have a generator for when I remote camp and run the generator long enough to heat up the inside and then shut down the generator and go to bed. The radiator stays warm long enough for me to get comfortable in my bed. I set up my coffee maker and leave the heater on and sleep with my remote start for the generator close by. First thing in the morning I hit the remote for the generator and the heater comes on and the coffee maker starts within about 10 minutes a nice snooze...the heater is warming the trailer, the coffee is done! Works for me!!

Good Luck...

Jim

We have only used the propane furnace to heat.  The only problem is that we have a difficult time keeping the temperature in our comfort range.  It gets a bit cooler then we would like before the furnace kicks back on and gets a bit warmer then we like before it kicks off.  I know there are better thermostats than the one that came in our TT.  I actually purchased a different thermostat but the wiring was quite different and I wasn't able to figure out how to make use of the one recommended.

One thing to be aware of. Many motor homes and I believe Fleetwood/Bounder is one of them, divert some of the hot air from the furnace to the tank enclosure to prevent freezing. If you ever go someplace where it gets down into the 20s you will need to run the furnace.

First thing in the morning I hit the remote for the generator and the heater comes on and the coffee maker starts within about 10 minutes a nice snooze...the heater is warming the trailer, the coffee is done! Works for me!!

Now I know I will get some ladies upset with me ;)  I don't have a remote as far as I know but I have a great wife.  LOL  ;)

Barryn514 said:
Now I know I will get some ladies upset with me ;)  I don't have a remote as far as I know but I have a great wife.  LOL  ;)

Now we can both get them really upset...the remote start generator was cheaper! And quieter!

Glad you have a great wife..I tried a couple times and found my way is better for me!

Enjoy,

Jim

Since we never have hook ups we set the stat on 74 when we get to the site and leave it there.

We use an electric blanket and small radiant oil filled heater at night if its cold we use the furnace before bed and in the morning, but since we hit South Carolina we havent had to use either. In Florida by tomorrow.

Barryn514 said:
Thanks for all the replies! now the wife and I feel better.

Not that it get that cold around here ( San Diego ) but we venture out to the woods sometime.  ;)

I would hope that everything in the coach is in perfect working condition since we bought this MH last week new.

My youngest Daughter lives close to San Diego and you guys think it is cold if it gets down to 50 degrees. We live in Kentucky and it does get cold here at times. San Diego in Snow Bird country. lol

Barryn514 said:
Just wondering how many go to sleep in their RV with the heater on?

My wife and I have always been concerned about that so at night we run a small electric heater instead.
Why wouldn't you use the heater if it is cold? You have co2 detectors propane detectors and smoke detectors. The only time I use the electric heater is when the electric is included in the rent. The coldest I have Bean camping was this spring it was around 5degrees at the top of Raton Pass NM. I ran the heater to be sure my tanks and water stayed warm.
Bill

I have two electric heaters plugged in 24/7 and set at 65. They are not plugged directly into the MH's wiring. I have two outlets that are powered by two 30 amp cord from the post and plugs into a water proof plug on the outside.  This takes away the safety problem of overloading the wiring in the MH. My gas furnace I have two and only use one, is set just below the elect heaters. Last year at the temp of 18 outside it was 70 inside every night. For more details on how I survive the winter and have no problems, PM me.

Back
Top Bottom