EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Trying to select toad brakes  (Read 28246 times)

Smoky

• ---
Trying to select toad brakes
« on: April 09, 2005, 04:27:47 PM »
I know there are many threads about toad brake systems here and on the “other” forum and I will be re-reading them.

But I would like a sanity check on where I am currently at.

I am having Remco in Annapolis “work up” an estimate for me.  They are recommending the “roadmaster” towing system,  (Sterling model) and for toad brakes the Roadmaster “Brakemaster”.  I believe this system taps into the pusher air or hydraulic brake system and gives true proportional braking with full meter indication in the cab.

I don’t know if the Newmar Kountry Star has airbrakes (well the parking brake is air but not sure about the driving brakes) or hydraulic brakes, but the Brakemaster is supposed to tap in to one or the other pusher system.  I am waiting to hear from Newmar on which type and whether this would void warranty.

Does this sound like a good way to go?

The dealer is minimizing toad brakes saying that the pusher braking will overwhelm the toad and make toad braking non critical.  The dealer says they can install a much less expensive Brake Buddy that uses inertia braking.  What say?
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Trying to select toad brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 04:44:15 PM »
You've opened another Pandora's box Smoky  ;D

First off, I think most will agree that you should ignore the dealer's comment about the coach brakes being more than enough to stop the coach and the toad. That said, there are various options for toad braking, as you've already discovered.

The Brake Buddy works for a lot of folks, especially those that do not have the air option. I've tried it only once, when I borrowed my neighbor's BB, and I see nothing wrong with it. It aso has the advantage of being able to be moved if/when you buy a new toad.

If you discover the coach has air, then the M&G air brake system is definitely a great way to go. Hassle free hooking up and unhooking. If you change toad later, M&G will give you a trade-in allowance on the old air cylinder.

According toRoadmaster's web site, he Brakemaster does not tap into a coach's hydraulic line. If your coach has hydraulic brakes, they sell the model 9000/9006 with an air compressor. If your coach has air or air over hydraulic, they sell the model 9100/9160 that takes air from the coach.

Do NOT let anyone sell you Roadmaster's BrakePro (their alternative to the Brake Buddy).

Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 05:00:36 PM »
Smokey,

We use the Roadmaster Falcon towbar that is rated upto 6000lbs capacity to tow our Grand Cherokee and a Brakebuddy for toad brakes.

Looks to me they are recommending their top of the line towbar whcih has the same capacity rated at 6000 lbs but according to prices in the camping world catalog is $943.33 plus installation.

The Falcon II all terrain towbar with the same capacity of 6000lbs  is  listed at 798,89 about $150.00 less and can be connected and disconnected on unlevel terrain.  This is a good feature but it wasn't available when we got ours.

Unless you like the glits of having the top of the line I can see no reason to go with the Sterling towbar.  I don't see any mention of the all terrain features on the sterling towbar.

I am not sure about the Brakemaster I have only known one person that tried it and he took it back .

Bottom Line: If it were me I would get the Roadmaster Falcon all terrain tow bar and go with either Brake Buddy or M&G.

Will they also wire the toad breaklights for you?
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »
Ron and Tom thanks.

I will ask them about the Falcon.  It might be weight, the Sterling is one of the lightest, but only about ten pounds lighter than the other choices. 

Hey guys, my dealer can install the Brake Buddy.  Do you think that would be sufficent for my Taurus wagon?  I could have Remco install the Falcon or Sterling, and then have the dealer install the brake Buddy.  What say?

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 05:08:13 PM »
BTW, the RV forum disappeared from Compuserve's Forum Center.  Just checked again a minute ago.  I can still access via "MY Stuff" but cannot get there via the Forum Center alpha listing.  This just happened today.

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 05:45:46 PM »
Smoky,

The only thing to installing the Brake Buddy beyond placing it in position in the car is the routing os two electric wires from the brakeawy switch to inside so you can connect them when you install the brake Buddy.  The is a small box that will mount in the fron near where the hitch baseplate is so a cable can be conneced between it and the motorhome.  This is in case the MH and car separate the cable will pull a pin out of the little box tripping a switch which will then cause the Brake Buddy to apply the brakes on the toad.
You could probably install the brakeaway by yourself and the rest of the brake Buddy installation will be the same as you will do whenever you use it. I think if it were me I would buy the brakebuddy and tri installing per the instructions provided. If you need any assistance with the breakawy swithch I can help you at Sam's Camp when you get to MT.

We use the Brake Buddy with the Grand Cherokee so I'm sure it will do for you Taurus.

The capacity of the Falcon all terrain and the Sterling is eacactly the same 6000lbs.  I doubt your Taurus weighs as much as the Grand Cherokee.  Be sure to specify the falcon All terrain tow bar.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 06:15:40 PM »
BTW Smoky, I forgot to mention that we have Roadmaster's Black Hawk tow bar - rated at 8,000 lbs, because we tow the Suburban.

As Ron says, I don't see what's involved in "wiring" a Brake Buddy. You just plop it on the floor of the toad, attach it to the brake pedal, and plug it into the cigarette lighter or other 12V receptacle. The breakway inviolves only minor wiring.

Ron asked the question I forgot to ask - about the wiring of the toad lights. I wired ours while at Moab last year. I bought the Roadmaster diode kits at Camping World. As a temporary measure I'd runnaged through the garage and dug up a couple of those magnetic lights that the tow truck drivers use when towing a wreck. That's what I used when we first got our prior coach, so those lights were 19 years old  :)

Of course, having someone competent like Remco do the work makes life a lot easier if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of the quote when you get it.

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 06:37:01 PM »
Smoky

First, you have a full air brake system, no hydraulics. Next I am not sure if you have a Spartan or Freightliner chassis but both "require" that you install toad brakes if your total weight of coach and toad exceeds the GVWR of the coach alone. The 10k# GCWR increase that you get for towing is only if you have appropriate brakes. Since you will be full-timing, you will need every pound of capacity within the coach so if you take the dealers advice, please don't drive behind me :D :D :D.

The Sterling is overkill. It sits on the back of your coach at all times. Since you won't be picking it up very often the weight savings is immaterial. The manufacturers usually admit that the all-steel models just below the fanciest aluminum combo model is stronger. As Ron said, go with the Roadmaster All-Terrain Falcon or, like I use, the Blue Ox Adventa II.

I think that you will find the largest group of satisfied toad brake for diesel pusher owners on this forum to have M&G. They work very well, are very easy to install and can be put on most cars. But be sure to check first with M&G whether it will fit on your Taurus. If it fits, go for it. You'll be much happier.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 07:06:11 AM »
Thanks all.  This tread is very helpful.

Bernie, can you tell me more about M&G?  Is that the one that taps into the air system?  How much do parts and installation typically cost?  How do I find a dealer?

I promise not to ride in your caravan until i get them installed. ;D

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

NC DaveD

• ---
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 09:21:05 AM »
Smoky, we have been using a Falcon II towbar on our Windsor for 6 years towing Honda Accords. 3 Years ago I purchased and installed a US Gear Unified Tow Brake and never regretted it. I looked at the M&G, but our 2000 Honda Accord didn't have the room by the mastercylinder needed for installation. The US Gear unit took a bit of work to get in, but it's permanent (until I take it out when we replace the Honda   :D), only requires one additional wire plug hookup and break away pin hookup when getting ready to go. If I had been thinking smarter, I could have wired the plug through my existing toad connector. :-\ It is also provides proportional and progressive braking and has saved my bacon once or twice.

Last year the computer part of the unit that is in the car went out and the guys at US Gear helped me troubleshoot the issue over the phone and then sold me a new computer module at dealer cost. It also allowed me to justify purchasing a new mulitimeter for the motorhome. ;D

David Derway
PS....Thanks to Jim Dick for letting me use his Multimeter to help with the original diagnosis.
David D
1996 Monaco Windsor 250HP towing 2000 Honda Accord

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 09:29:43 AM »

Bernie, can you tell me more about M&G?  Is that the one that taps into the air system?  How much do parts and installation typically cost?  How do I find a dealer?

Smoky

M&G taps into the air line in the coach. If the KS has a Spartan chassis, Spartan now offers a kit to attach the line to the brake line. Best bet for dealer location is calling M&G. Or check out the dealer page on it's web site http://www.m-gengineering.com/links.html

I don't know what current pricing is but it should run you under $1,000 for parts and installation. You would need to call M&G anyways to determine if they can install in the Taurus.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 10:19:49 AM »
Smoky

You could also install the M&G yourself. I watched as they installed mine and another coach/toad. Took around an hour for the two, including answering a lot of questions. In my case, they tapped into one of the air junction boxes already on the coach. They have (or used to have) instructions for installation on their web site.

I paid $800, which included $200 installation by M&G while I was in TX. I acquired the breakaway kit via a friend later, and that was an additional $200. So Bernie was right on with his $1,000. This compared with $1,300 I paid for Brakemaster's BrakePro that caused lots of problems and I returned to CW for a full refund.

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 11:38:40 AM »
Well the only problem I have is that there are no M&G dealers anywhere near me.  wonder if I could stop at one on my way west without crashing or getting arrested for not having a toad brake.

Then again the other two alternatives are having Remco install the Brakemaster, or my dealer install the Brake Buddy.

Anyone having an opinion on these three alternatives is most welcome to comment.

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 12:36:54 PM »
Avoid the brakemaster like you would a hornets nest.  I would either go with the Brake Buddy (which is what we use) or the M&G system.  I know there are a lot of folks that have not toad brakes at all.  I don't agree this is the right thing to do.  But if you wanted to locate a M&G dealer along your route it might be an option.  I believe the cost for the Brake Buddy or the M&G is pretty close to the same and maybe a little more for the Brake Buddy.

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 01:29:55 PM »
Well the only problem I have is that there are no M&G dealers anywhere near me.  wonder if I could stop at one on my way west without crashing or getting arrested for not having a toad brake.

Then again the other two alternatives are having Remco install the Brakemaster, or my dealer install the Brake Buddy.

Anyone having an opinion on these three alternatives is most welcome to comment.

Smoky

We had our M&G coach hookup done at Tom Johnson's in NC. Did a good job. If that is too far out of the way, there are dealers listed in Pennsyvania, Ohio and a lot of other places on your way west. I'm sure you could arrange to stop at one and have it done. You can drive bare until then and I won't say a word  :D :D. You won't have any major mountains to worry about until then and just drive careful.  However, I will drive behind you ;D ;D ;D.

Tom also had a good recommendation of doing it yourself. He thought it didn't look that difficult.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 02:10:10 PM »
Avoid the Brakemaster also?  Why?

Tom said avoid the Brake Pro (also by Roadmaster) but he said nothing about avoiding the Roadmaster Brakemaster.  Isn't that the Roadmaster version of the M&G?

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 02:34:28 PM »
I can give no details first hand.  All I know is what others have told me about brakemaster.  I do know that several in the framily have the m&G and are very pleased with it.  We use the Brake Buddy and are happy with it.  I haven't heard one good comment about the Brakemaster so I wouldn't say it even might be ok.  On the other hand even though we have never used a M&G system ourselves there are so many of the framily that have them and not one negative comment have I heard about it.

Have you called to see if the M&G will work on the Taursus? 

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 03:07:02 PM »
Smoky

I have no knowledge of Brakemaster, which is why I didn't pass comment on it beyond what's listed on their web site.

Their BlackHawk Tow bar is good, but their BrakePro is IMO a piece of junk. Their tech support really isn't. When I called about the BP they told me that GM installs wires that are too small in all their Suburbans. When I called with a question about the BlackHawk they told me GM drills holes in the wrong place in the chassis. About the only thing they didn't do was call me a dumbo, by I surely felt like that's what they were saying.

When I politely approached them at the QZ show the guy turned his back on me and wouldn't talk to me.

You could do what I did (unintentionally) i.e. buy the BB (I bought BP), use it until you get the M&G installed, then return it. But I didn't tell you to do that.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 10:26:43 PM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2005, 06:15:23 PM »
Smoky

Here's a few photos that might help illustrate the simplicity of the M&G system.

• Connector on rear of coach.
  • Connector on front of toad.
  • Air cylinder placed between the master cylinder and boost (on toad)

Note that this is on a Burb, so the air cylinder is relatively large. The ones I've seen for passenger cars are proportionately smaller.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2005, 06:24:10 PM »
Tom where is the latex finger to keep the dirt out? ??? ??? :D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2005, 07:13:33 PM »
It's here Ron. The photo I put up for Smoky was taken pre-latex finger.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2005, 07:24:15 PM »
Thanks Tom I just wouldn't want to miss that. ;D ;D

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 08:57:34 AM »
Latex Finger?

BTW I hope everyone realizes the Brakemaster is very similar to the M&G. It runs off the coach air.  The Brake Pro, up until Ron, has been the only one I have heard negative comments about.  Brake Pro, I think , works more like Brake Buddy.

Both are Roadmaster products.  Just wanted to be sure it was Brake Pro and not Brakemaster, that Ron has heard the negatives on.  The concept of Brakemaster is identical to M&G, tap coach air, add air cilinder to toad.  Not much that can go wrong I suspect.

The one thing I don't like about Brakemaster is that the Remco dealer in Annapolis is telling me it is an 11 hour install.  Roadmaster says 5 to 6 hours.  I suspect they are padding it.  It would be nice to have Remco do the whole thing at one sitting.  But now I am leaning towards driving brakeless to Ohio and having M&G add the brake. 

And yes I will ask Remco to change their estimate to switch from Sterling to the all terrain falcon.

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2005, 09:58:05 AM »
It's here Ron. The photo I put up for Smoky was taken pre-latex finger.

Is that the finger used for the Fickle Finger of Fate ;D ;D
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2005, 10:03:19 AM »

BTW I hope everyone realizes the Brakemaster is very similar to the M&G. It runs off the coach air.  The Brake Pro, up until Ron, has been the only one I have heard negative comments about.  Brake Pro, I think , works more like Brake Buddy.

The one thing I don't like about Brakemaster is that the Remco dealer in Annapolis is telling me it is an 11 hour install.  Roadmaster says 5 to 6 hours.  I suspect they are padding it.  It would be nice to have Remco do the whole thing at one sitting.  But now I am leaning towards driving brakeless to Ohio and having M&G add the brake. 

And yes I will ask Remco to change their estimate to switch from Sterling to the all terrain falcon.

It may be similar but that doesn't mean it is the same.

Yeah it's nice to have the whole job done at one time and place. But why settle for second best when you are going to keep the coach for so long ??? The time estimate seems very high, specially compared to M&G.

You haven't commented on your chassis yet. Is is a Spartan and will you be looking for the Spartan brake connection kit?
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2005, 10:17:59 AM »
I have not decided for second best yet Bernie.  So much to digest.

Yes my coach has the Spartan Mountain Air chassis with IFS.  The IFS was a major factor in my final decision to go with Newmar. 

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2005, 10:31:34 AM »

Yes my coach has the Spartan Mountain Air chassis with IFS.  The IFS was a major factor in my final decision to go with Newmar. 

Good, now have you checked out the brake connect kit from Spartan?

Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2005, 10:39:32 AM »
Bernie:

I meant Mountain Master not Mountain Air.

I have been looking on both the Spartan and the MG web sites and cant find the kit.  I put a call into Newmar also, as I noticed Monaco installs an air outlet and was wondering if Newmar did this as well.

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2005, 10:55:18 AM »

I have been looking on both the Spartan and the MG web sites and cant find the kit.  I put a call into Newmar also, as I noticed Monaco installs an air outlet and was wondering if Newmar did this as well.

Call Spartan Tech Support @ 800-543-4277 and check with them. I am curious about it because I would like to see an article about it in the Spartan Chassis Club newsletter ;)  I would expect it to make a self installation a lot easier as well.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

caltex

• ---
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2005, 11:58:55 AM »
Smokey,  on the discussion of M & G vs.the Brakemaster, what an I missing here? When comparing the M& G to the brakemaster, the only thing I see that they have in common is the air hose connection to the coach. Once the M & G air cylinder is installed on the brake master cylinder  you never touch it again except for connecting the air hose from the coach to the toad.  The Roadmaster Brakemaster uses an air cylinder to push on the brake pedal, so you have to install it on every time you use it (and remove it when you want to use the toad).
Robert

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2005, 03:05:19 PM »
After re-looking at Roadmaster's web site, I have to agree with Caltex. Since you have to physically attach the Brakemaster air cylinder to to the toad's brake pedal every time you want to use it, I see no significant advantage over using a Brake Buddy.

Phil

• ---
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2005, 05:54:34 PM »
The dealer is minimizing toad brakes saying that the pusher braking will overwhelm the toad and make toad braking non critical.  The dealer says they can install a much less expensive Brake Buddy that uses inertia braking.  What say?

Smoky,

I recommend that you get the M&G even if you have to pull the toad across the US without a toad brake to find an M&G installer.

Phil

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2005, 10:10:49 PM »
You're right Caltex!  Tonight I downloaded the manual from the web site and I plainly see that clamp on the pedal.  No way I am going with that.  M&G it is!

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Wyoming07

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2005, 03:25:44 AM »
Smokey; We have been using the US GEAR brake system on our 2003 Honda CRV and we are pleased with the unit, we moved our hook ups on to the top of our rear bumper and that has saved on my knuckles, the installation is clean and we have just one electrical umbilical cord, it has a super break away feature which I like when disconnecting, the CRV brakes are set, no more rolling of the towed vehicle. This is how we feel about the US GEAR brake system. Gene and Audrey, them Buffalo folks from Wyoming. 2001 Itasca Suncruiser,8.1L,Allison Tranny.  Yes WE are HAPPY.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2005, 07:29:50 AM »
I know there are many threads about toad brake systems here and on the “other” forum and I will be re-reading them.

But I would like a sanity check on where I am currently at.

I am having Remco in Annapolis “work up” an estimate for me.  They are recommending the “roadmaster” towing system,  (Sterling model) and for toad brakes the Roadmaster “Brakemaster”.  I believe this system taps into the pusher air or hydraulic brake system and gives true proportional braking with full meter indication in the cab.

I don’t know if the Newmar Kountry Star has airbrakes (well the parking brake is air but not sure about the driving brakes) or hydraulic brakes, but the Brakemaster is supposed to tap in to one or the other pusher system.  I am waiting to hear from Newmar on which type and whether this would void warranty.

I too like the M&G  even if the coach does not have air brakes (and if the parking brake is air, I'd be willing to bet the main brakes are too, but I could be wrong, it would be a bet) 

I'm not convinced on the intertial brake systems. Assorted reasons I don't really like them  Here is what I found

1: Salesmen are paid to sell their company's products (or the store's products) so if you are at a REMCO company store they will always suggest REMCO products 1st, and then other proucts the store carries (Lower commission) ALWAYS, no exceptions

Moral 1: Don't listen to them

2: M&G, from what I've read in the other forum and other places is #1 with a brake pad, however it won't fit on my Lumina APV. Advantages of this air operated system are 1: Totally transparent to the operator of the toad when it's independent. There is NOTHING in the cockpit, nothing at all, it's all "under the hood" Very well designed system. It is also a proprotional system operated as additional brakes on the coach's main brake system.  Very good

Brake Master and Brake Buddy have been reviewed here, Brake Master I saw lots of complaints, Brake buddy less so but these are intertial systems, they sense that you are slowing down and apply the brakes.. I'd rather they sensed I wished to slow down (Had pressed the pedal) this they can not do, In addition you got the pedal pusher to pull out of the way when you want to drive independent and forget to re-install when you tow

Brake Pro... Air, like the M&G, but a pedal pusher like the Brake Buddy and Brake Master.  This is a porportional system that addresses the first concern I have in the above but being a pedal pusher it still has "junk" to move when you want to go independent and forget to replace when you tow.

Unified Gear's brake system http://www.usgear.com/unified_tow_brake.htm

This is what I"m likely to go with,,, It's a pedal PULLER, not pusher, so though it works the brake pedal just like Brake Buddy/Master/Pro it PULLS not Pushes.  This does mean a bit of additional hardware that can fail but it also means there is nothing in the way when you go independent and nothing to forget when you return to towed status

No pins to loose, no boxes to get misplaced, nothing, just hook and go.

It's an electric system, works with all tow vehicles equiped with an electric brake controller, Unified Gear is a sales partner with WorkHorse (Who is the chassis supplier on the Motor Home I'm buying)

I may still go with the brake pro if the Damon is air braked though
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2005, 09:49:44 AM »
John

You have Brakemaster and Brakepro mixed up. The BrakePro does not run off coach air - it has its own compressor in a box and plugs into a 12V outlet on the toad, similar to the BrakeBuddy.

chrpennings

• ---
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2005, 07:46:30 PM »
Smokey,

I purchased the M & G system direct fromhe manufacturer. Cost  $ 535.00  + $35.00 for installation kit and $ 8.90 for freight. Total  $578.90.
This does not include the "Break away system" . I may purchase this later whem the laws tells me to do so. In the mean time I will just look forward and not backwards so don't drive behind me.
I installed the system myself on the Jeep Gr. C.  It took me approx. 2 hours.
I highly recommend the system. Go for it if it fits on the Taurus.

chris

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2005, 09:30:09 PM »
Just downloaded and read the Roadmaster Brake Pro Installation/Operation manual. To put it bluntly, there are way too many cautions, warnings, important notes and installation and use issues which would make me run, not walk, away from it.

Major concerns:
1) Unit uses power from toad and compressor will run about every 10 minutes. They recommend recharging toad after 6 hours driving. I've got better things to do than let my braking unit determine when and where I stop.

2) (and this one really scares me!) The unit will go into sleep mode if the battery voltage gets too low, and will not activate brakes. Their reasoning is that this will leave enough power to start the car for charging the battery. Sorry, but I'd want it to suck every last bit of energy from my battery to stop me; I'll worry about starting the car AFTER I get to the bottom of the mountain. That's what jumper cables are for! And yes, I know there's an emergency override.

3) Way too many things you (may) have to do when installing/removing for each use - Floor mats, seat positioning, bleeding system, foot/cylinder extensions.

4) Too many issues with adjustments either preventing braking when necessary or causing braking when unnecessary, such as bumps in the road or rough roads - and you have to stop to change them.

5) It's an inertial system and I'll paraphrase here: If the unit senses a slowdown (negative change of inertia) of the coach, it assumes you want to brake, so it applies the brakes on the toad. No change; no braking. Fine while cruising or at a stop sign or during normal braking, but what happens if your on a steep downhill grade and your coach brakes start to fade or are maxed out? IMHO this would appear to the system like I had quit braking the coach and would release the toad brakes too. Not good. 

M&G for me! 
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2005, 11:01:58 PM »
Karl

Our experience with the BrakePro wasn't very good at all. First off, I had to make a plinth (aka false floor) out of plywood for the BP to be able to sit on in front of the Burb's driver seat. Then came what should have been the first clue - the BP wanted to repeatedly pump the brakes. Next clue - my neighbor rang the door bell and asked why the brake lights on the Burb were continuously on while parked in our driveway. Re-adjusted everything.

Then, when we took off on our trip, the dash-mounted monitor kept telling me the Burb brakes were coming on when I didn't need/want them on. The frequencey of toad brakes being applied kept increasing. Next available truck stop I pulled over and checked things out. The battery on the Burb was dead. Fired up the generator on the coach and hooked up a 12V charger to bring the toad battery up.

Took off again and had a repeat performance. I figured out that, in addition to draining the battery, the BrakePro was voltage sensitive and, as the battery voltage dropped, it started pumping the brakes feversihly. This in turn dragged the battery down further and faster.

A call to Roadmaster's tech support received the dumbest response: "That's because GM installs wires in their cars that are too small". The suggestion was that the 20A outlet on the Burb was being fed with wires too small to carry 20A.

I decided to run a heavy cord from the coach engine batteries to the batteries on the toad, thinking the coach alternator would keep the toad battery charged. Wrong!

We finally towed the Burb several hundred miles with the engine running, as that was the only way I could keep the battery from going dead and the BP from repeatedly pumping the brakes.

After having the M&G installed, next stop was Camping World to return the BrakePro, and I had over $400 extra in my pocket, and a hassle-free braking system.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 11:06:52 PM by Tom »

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2005, 11:20:56 PM »
We have the Blue Ox Apollo toad brake and it just works.  It will apply the toad brakes when necessary, and won't if not needed.  The only time the compressor runs is if the brakes have been applied and air pressure needs to be restored.  Takes about 5 minutes to install when travelling and less to remove when we park.  It can be moved to a new vehicle with minimal work, just the breakaway and monitor wires have to be redone.

And it comes with all the Blue Ox support that, as far as I am concerned, is unequaled in the RV industry.

Just my opinion, of course.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2005, 11:46:02 PM »
We use the Brake Buddy and it behaves as you discribed with your system.  As far as after sales support thay are outstanding.  I have talked other users that feeel the same way.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2005, 06:21:33 AM »
Tom,
You must have been frustrated as all get out. Their troubleshooting list is full of potential problems like the ones you described; most having to do with adjustments to sensitivity, maximum braking pressure, "level setting", and low voltage. They talk about too small wiring by toad mfgr (don't believe that one for a second), and specifically tell you not to tow with engine running because the power brakes are operational then, and you can't use it on a vehicle without power brakes either.

Last year at FMCA they had the (then) new units on display and for sale for $1000, so I looked inside. It was a spaghetti factory of wires, plastic tubing, valves, and that awful inertial sensing unit that (I believe) was spinning like a gyroscope. Seemed like they threw everything from the engineers' spare parts bin into it - way too much stuff to go wrong. 
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2005, 06:30:39 AM »
Frustrated I sure was Karl  :)  Ours must have been one of the "new" units you mentioned - we bought it around this time last year. Cost approx $1,300 at CW.

BTW I tried a neighbor's Brake Buddy and it seemed to work just fine. Everything I read from BB owners has been nothing but positive. When I mentioned the BB to Roadmaster's tech support guy, all he'd say was "our works on a different principle".

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2005, 08:35:14 AM »
The Brake Buddy and the Apollo work on similar principles.  I bought the Apollo because I could get a good price at the FMCA convention last year and I have always had good support from Blue Ox.
2007 GMC Canyon

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2005, 04:24:34 PM »
Tom:

Am I correct in assuming that even though you tried and liked the Brake Buddy, your first choice would still be the M&G?

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2005, 04:33:50 PM »
Am I correct in assuming that even though you tried and liked the Brake Buddy, your first choice would still be the M&G?
You got it in 1 Smoky. I'm not saying there's anything at all "wrong" with the BB, and it has the advantage of being readily portable between toads. But there's just no fuss with the M&G, and nothing to fiddle with if I need to move the toad in a hurry. It's down to personal preference, and there's not much difference in the net price.

BTW have you noticed that the big rig tractor-trailer drivers don't screw around with a BB? They just hook up an air hose between the tractor and the "toad".  ;D

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2005, 06:10:16 PM »
And the big trailers don't put a foreign object in the brake line either :)  Of course, they don't have a brake pedal to push on.
2007 GMC Canyon

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2005, 06:27:36 PM »
John

You have Brakemaster and Brakepro mixed up. The BrakePro does not run off coach air - it has its own compressor in a box and plugs into a 12V outlet on the toad, similar to the BrakeBuddy.

Thanks I figured it out later

If he's got air brakes for "parking" he likely has air brakes for driving too ... Of course "Likley" is not a guarentee

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2005, 11:07:34 PM »
Smoky

Here's another piece of the M&G .....

I'd procured, but not installed, their breakaway kit. It is comprised of:

• A small air tank.
  • An electrically operated diverter valve.
  • A breakaway switch.
  • Steel wire breakaway cable.
  • High pressure air hose.

In the event the toad becomes detached from the coach, a cable activates the breakaway switch, connecting the air tank to the air cylinder, thereby applying the toad brakes.

I finally got around to installing it this week, photos attached. I have to say that, although quite easy to do, this took considerably longer than I expected. So, if you're short of time &/or uneasy about installing yourself, it just might sense for you to get the whole thing installed at the same time by a dealer, or by M&G.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2005, 06:09:37 AM »
After re-looking at Roadmaster's web site, I have to agree with Caltex. Since you have to physically attach the Brakemaster air cylinder to to the toad's brake pedal every time you want to use it, I see no significant advantage over using a Brake Buddy.

The advantages of the brakemaster over the brake buddy (and brake pro) is that it draws it's stopping power from the towing vehicle, and.... Even once you are stopped it keeps the brakes engaged, The pedal pusher boxes like Brake Buddy and it's competitors use an acceleration switch, if it senses you are slowing down it applies the brakes, some Brake buddy) apply them in a pre-set level, others (Brake-Pro) apply them according to how fast you are slowing.  However they can also apply them if you are backing up or keep them applies once you have released the towing vehicle brakes.  There is, you see, no communications between those brakes and the tow vehicle (Motor home)

With the Brakemaster, M&G or Unified Gear systems the brakes arre controled by the driver and the tow vehicle, Much better

Part 2: When the brake buddy and brake pro push against the brake,,, What to they push against? (The seat)

With the brakemaster it pushes against a bracket bolted to either 1: The floor or 2: The seat mounting bolts (much stronger than pushing against the seat).  The M&G pushes, well, it is mounted next to the master cylinder, does not push the pedal at all, and the Unified gear pulls, not pushes (Firewall to brake) all far superior to a seat breaker

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2005, 08:42:42 AM »
John

The "push against the seat" feature is a contributing issue with BrakePro, albeit not the biggest problem. Unlike the Brake Buddy, which has the handle on top of the box, Brake Pro located their handle on the back of the box and it's used to push against the seat instead of the full area of the back of the box. The result is the need to accurately position the BrakePro's handle, and also a tendency for the push to cause the box to tilt. As you aluded to, the front of the seat is also not a "hard" surface to push against.

Having said that, the Brake Buddy didn't seem to suffer from the same problem when I borrowed my neighbor's BB.

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2005, 05:51:04 PM »
Bernie:

It is true that Spartan has a kit for their chassis to link up with the M&G brakes.  In fact they insist on it in order to abide by warranty requirements.  My Newmar dealer has been working on this and finally got back to me today with a person to call at Spartan.  Don't know how much the kit is to cost me.  They recommend that an M&G dealer install it and that is exactly what I am going to do.

Without the kit, Spartan says there have been problems of M&G brakes causing all the air in the system to be drained rendering both chassis and toad without brakes.  I will know more about the particulars after I call them tomorrow.

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2005, 06:03:51 PM »
Tom,

When we had a problem with our seat not coming forward,  I put a 4x4 between the seat and our Apollo and it worked quite well.  I think a piece of 1x4 or 1x6 would work just as well if the seat isn't compatible with the brake unit.  Ours isn't a problem so when the seat was fixed, I stopped using the lumber.
2007 GMC Canyon

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2005, 07:25:40 PM »
Smoky:

A number of years ago, I recall asking office managers during an into to micro computer class which Word Processor software they preferred. This was back in the days when WPerfect and some others were as popular as Word and some others. Will never forget the response from that class of 30 users. I finally called a break and changed the subject. I thought fist fights might break out at any minute. :D Am reminded of that every time a thread on toad brakes begins.

I am no exception here, in that I will recommend the one that works for me - and can think of reasons I would not want to use the other systems. I use the US Gear system and have been for a number of years now. Others on this thread I see have also recommended it - AND, our own world famous RV Instructor here, Jerry Ray, uses and recommends it. Here are some of the reasons I prefer this unit and why I selected if over the M&G or the one that you stick that big box in the toad, get on your hands and knees and connect it to your brake pedal contraption :-\ and the others:

1. What happens if the MH brakes fail (engine stops or whatever)? The US Gear system has a control on my dash that allows me to apply the Toad brakes - at whatever degree I so desire. In an emergency I can literally lock the Toad brakes to assist in slowing down my rig. No other system will allow that. And if I'm, say, driving around an RV park, I don't need Toad brakes, so I turn them off from the MH drivers seat.

2. Uses the power brakes on the toad: Have you ever stopped your Saturn when the engine dies? It takes a lot of foot power to press those brakes. The USGear system engages the power brakes on the toad so requires a lot less power to brake or stop the toad. No other system does this. If there is a break away, the toad power brakes are engaged full strength.

3. One time install: I decided I would never buy a system that I had to go to my toad and hook anything up to the brake pedal there. Once the system installed, the only item involved each time you hook up your toad is plugging in the electric line from the MH to the Toad. I keep the MH end connected all the time, so all I do is plug in the Toad end as I hook up the Toad lights line. Total time equals 3 to 5 seconds.

4. Progressive "and" Proportional braking: A toad weighs a lot less than a MH (other than Tom's ;D), so the braking should be a lot less and US Gear provides that. I pulled a trailer and then a fifth wheel and got used to being able to adjust the "gain" as I was driving. You have that control at your finger tips "while driving" to make that adjustment. And it's also proportional in that a slightest pressure causes slight braking on both vehicles and so on. If in a panic situation, and I cram down my HM power brakes, I am doing the same with the toad power brakes -- and I like that on grades such as Parley and the Grape Vine. I can stop my MH plus Toad "faster" than I could stop the MH by itself. Think about it. A system such as M&G only brakes the toad enough to slow the toad - but if needed, it will not assist in slowing the HM.

Smoky, here's their website (I see others have posted it as well) and some useful info that you might want to add to your confusion. :)

http://usgear.com/unified_tow_brake.htm

Gosh, I love these, "Mine is better than yours" threads ;D
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2005, 07:49:40 PM »
Bernie:

It is true that Spartan has a kit for their chassis to link up with the M&G brakes.  In fact they insist on it in order to abide by warranty requirements.  My Newmar dealer has been working on this and finally got back to me today with a person to call at Spartan.  Don't know how much the kit is to cost me.  They recommend that an M&G dealer install it and that is exactly what I am going to do.

Without the kit, Spartan says there have been problems of M&G brakes causing all the air in the system to be drained rendering both chassis and toad without brakes.  I will know more about the particulars after I call them tomorrow.

Smoky

I have never heard of a problem with the M&G brakes causing air loss. The Spartan kit is a CYA, IMHO, but I would think you are better with it than without.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2005, 10:00:06 PM »
Tom, When we had a problem with our seat not coming forward, I put a 4x4 between the seat and our Apollo and it worked quite well. I think a piece of 1x4 or 1x6 would work just as well if the seat isn't compatible with the brake unit. Ours isn't a problem so when the seat was fixed, I stopped using the lumber.

Ned, that's a really crude fix to prevent the seat from riding over or under the handle when the BrakePro operates. But IIRC I tried something like that, but it didn't leave much room to get the unit in. The BP has a much larger box than the BrakeBuddy and, with the handle sticking out the back, I had the seat all the way back before inserting a piece of wood.

The BP's adjustable feet also don't accomodate the floor of the Suburban, leaving it unstable. I made a plinth (aka false floor) using 3/4" plywood and a couple of 2x4s to give it a solid flat surface to sit on. This elminated the stability problem and also helped a little with the vertical height of that rear-facing handle. But it was one more thing to put in and out of the toad.

I'd have put up with it if the darned system worked and didn't continually apply the brakes when it wasn't supposed to, or drain the toad battery. It's just a poor design all round, and it was such a relief when I had the M&G installed and put an extra $400 in my pocket. As Terry said at the time "welcome to the hassle-free world of M&G"; He was right  ;D

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2005, 10:12:02 PM »
It appears that the Apollo is better designed than the BrakePro or our car is better shaped to handle that type of brake.
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2005, 10:16:46 PM »
Smoky/Bernie

I wonder if it has something to do with this problem I had with a leaking air connector.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2005, 10:20:24 PM »
Ned

I haven't seen the Apollo unit but, based on other Apollo products I've seen, I have no reason to doubt that it's a better design.

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2005, 11:27:03 PM »
Bob,

We have US Gear as our braking system and  love it

Marsha~

2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2005, 08:00:32 AM »
I haven't seen the Apollo unit but, based on other Apollo products I've seen, I have no reason to doubt that it's a better design.

Everything I've seen and used from Blue Ox has been a cut above the competition.  But that's just my opinion ;)
2007 GMC Canyon

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2005, 08:48:58 AM »
Smoky/Bernie

I wonder if it has something to do with this problem I had with a leaking air connector.

Tom

There are those who won't install the M&G and similar type units because of concern about "tapping into the air lines". Chassis manufacturers have discouraged use of the M&G and similar type units claiming any intrusion of the air lines could be a problem. The Spartan kit is an attempt to satisfy both concerns with a factory approved hook up at the chassis air line junction, not at the back end pig tail connector.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2005, 10:57:47 AM »
There are those who won't install the M&G and similar type units because of concern about "tapping into the air lines".

That certainly makes sense Bernie, although IIRC M&G hooked into an existing air junction box on our coach. When it quits raining I'll go check it out  :)

The Spartan kit is an attempt to satisfy both concerns with a factory approved hook up at the chassis air line junction, not at the back end pig tail connector.

That, of course, wouldn't eliminate the problem I had with a bad (or dirty?) connector at the rear of the coach. FWIW that leaking connector didn't appear to interfere with the braking on the coach, presumably because there was more than enough spare capacity in the system.

I'm wondering what's included in the Spartan kit  ???

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2005, 11:53:15 AM »
Marsha:

We have US Gear as our braking system and  love it

Yes -- I see that a number of folk here are using US Gear. When I compared features, the ones that none of the others have translated into increased safety. I DID have a problem with the initial install down in Lancaster, CA. They just made some mistakes -- but US Gear sent me to another outlet in NCal and they fixed the problems that the 1st installer had goofed on. Actually, they spent about 1/2 a day of shop time going through the entire install procedure making sure everything was OK w/no charge to me. So I have been very pleased with follow up by US Gear.

Have you ever kicked the gain up just to make sure it is braking the Toad that increased amount? I only did it once to make sure :o - and could really feel the Toad slowing me down. Of course, as the US Gear rep told me, the Toad brakes are only to slow the Toad - and are only used to assist in slowing the MH in an emergency situation. If my brakes ever fail, I know that I have a 3800# Jeep with brakes locked dragging behind me to help slow me down.
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2005, 12:46:32 PM »

That certainly makes sense Bernie, although IIRC M&G hooked into an existing air junction box on our coach. When it quits raining I'll go check it out  :)

All the past installations went into the air junction box and I hadn't heard of any problems at that end.

The Spartan kit is an attempt to satisfy both concerns with a factory approved hook up at the chassis air line junction, not at the back end pig tail connector.

That, of course, wouldn't eliminate the problem I had with a bad (or dirty?) connector at the rear of the coach. FWIW that leaking connector didn't appear to interfere with the braking on the coach, presumably because there was more than enough spare capacity in the system.

I'm wondering what's included in the Spartan kit  ???

Don't know what's in the kit, but I doubt that it would have made a difference at the rear. If the connector is bad, it has to be replaced.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2005, 01:39:07 PM »
THat's kinda what I think too Bernie. I'm just curious though.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2005, 04:19:39 PM »
Tom,
Just curious - that failing connector - was it brass or steel? I've had the steel ones fail from corrosion, but never a brass one.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2005, 08:36:20 PM »
It was brass Karl. I think it was bad to some extent from day 1. I've always had a tough time inserting the female end into that connector and getting it to lock in. I noticed when we hooked this afternoon for the first time with that connector that it went in "clean" and locked. The old one never did that.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2005, 09:19:40 PM »
Was probably a cheapo Brass connector.  I had a couple of those that came with my air compressor in MT.  All problems were corrected by replacing the brass connectors with new better brass connectors.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2005, 09:52:59 PM »
You're probably right Ron.  When I responded to Karl I almost said "brassed" connector i.e. brass over steel, but I couldn't be sure.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2005, 06:17:43 AM »
Tom,

Thanks for the chuckle:

I've always had a tough time inserting the female end into that connector and getting it to lock in.

I always thought it was the male connector that was inserted.... Well, no wonder you had trouble ;D

Seriously, just for giggles, check the old one with a magnet and see if it was only brass plating over steel.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2005, 06:21:37 AM »
Good catch Karl. You were the only one to spot the deliberate mistake  ;D

IIRC I threw the old connector in the garbage.

Hosted by Over The Network