Trying to select toad brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
I haven't seen the Apollo unit but, based on other Apollo products I've seen, I have no reason to doubt that it's a better design.

Everything I've seen and used from Blue Ox has been a cut above the competition.  But that's just my opinion ;)

Tom said:
Smoky/Bernie

I wonder if it has something to do with this problem I had with a leaking air connector.

Tom

There are those who won't install the M&G and similar type units because of concern about "tapping into the air lines". Chassis manufacturers have discouraged use of the M&G and similar type units claiming any intrusion of the air lines could be a problem. The Spartan kit is an attempt to satisfy both concerns with a factory approved hook up at the chassis air line junction, not at the back end pig tail connector.

BernieD said:
There are those who won't install the M&G and similar type units because of concern about "tapping into the air lines".

That certainly makes sense Bernie, although IIRC M&G hooked into an existing air junction box on our coach. When it quits raining I'll go check it out  :)

The Spartan kit is an attempt to satisfy both concerns with a factory approved hook up at the chassis air line junction, not at the back end pig tail connector.

That, of course, wouldn't eliminate the problem I had with a bad (or dirty?) connector at the rear of the coach. FWIW that leaking connector didn't appear to interfere with the braking on the coach, presumably because there was more than enough spare capacity in the system.

I'm wondering what's included in the Spartan kit  ???

Marsha:

MarshaLassen/CA said:
We have US Gear as our braking system and? love it.?

Yes -- I see that a number of folk here are using US Gear. When I compared features, the ones that none of the others have translated into increased safety. I DID have a problem with the initial install down in Lancaster, CA. They just made some mistakes -- but US Gear sent me to another outlet in NCal and they fixed the problems that the 1st installer had goofed on. Actually, they spent about 1/2 a day of shop time going through the entire install procedure making sure everything was OK w/no charge to me. So I have been very pleased with follow up by US Gear.

Have you ever kicked the gain up just to make sure it is braking the Toad that increased amount? I only did it once to make sure :eek: - and could really feel the Toad slowing me down. Of course, as the US Gear rep told me, the Toad brakes are only to slow the Toad - and are only used to assist in slowing the MH in an emergency situation. If my brakes ever fail, I know that I have a 3800# Jeep with brakes locked dragging behind me to help slow me down.

Tom said:
That certainly makes sense Bernie, although IIRC M&G hooked into an existing air junction box on our coach. When it quits raining I'll go check it out  :)

All the past installations went into the air junction box and I hadn't heard of any problems at that end.

The Spartan kit is an attempt to satisfy both concerns with a factory approved hook up at the chassis air line junction, not at the back end pig tail connector.

That, of course, wouldn't eliminate the problem I had with a bad (or dirty?) connector at the rear of the coach. FWIW that leaking connector didn't appear to interfere with the braking on the coach, presumably because there was more than enough spare capacity in the system.

I'm wondering what's included in the Spartan kit  ???

Don't know what's in the kit, but I doubt that it would have made a difference at the rear. If the connector is bad, it has to be replaced.

THat's kinda what I think too Bernie. I'm just curious though.

It was brass Karl. I think it was bad to some extent from day 1. I've always had a tough time inserting the female end into that connector and getting it to lock in. I noticed when we hooked this afternoon for the first time with that connector that it went in "clean" and locked. The old one never did that.

Was probably a cheapo Brass connector.  I had a couple of those that came with my air compressor in MT.  All problems were corrected by replacing the brass connectors with new better brass connectors.

You're probably right Ron.  When I responded to Karl I almost said "brassed" connector i.e. brass over steel, but I couldn't be sure.

Tom,

Thanks for the chuckle:

I've always had a tough time inserting the female end into that connector and getting it to lock in.

I always thought it was the male connector that was inserted.... Well, no wonder you had trouble ;D

Seriously, just for giggles, check the old one with a magnet and see if it was only brass plating over steel.

Good catch Karl. You were the only one to spot the deliberate mistake  ;D

IIRC I threw the old connector in the garbage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom