dolly, 4wheel down, car, suggestions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miskowskis

Hello!  We are a family of four who just traded in our small travel trailer for a motorhome.  We are two weeks into our new adventure of full timing in our RV.  Our next step is trading in my Tucson for a small, fuel efficient car that we can tow behind our Winnebago 35B.  I've read in the library some pros and cons of towing with a dolly vs. four wheels down.  My question for those of you with experience is this.... If you could start from scratch, would you tow with two wheels up on a dolly or all four down?  Why?  Also, is there a specific car that you would recommend?  (We have read a 2013 guide to dinghy towing and have that as a base of knowledge, just wondering if your experience would cause you have certain preferences.)  Thanks!  Your advice is appreciated!

We've done  both and still do occasionally tow our Pontiac on a dolly but I would way rather tow 4-wheels-down. The dolly takes more work, it adds weight, and you need to have a place to park the dolly when you're stopped. If you're starting from scratch, find something you can tow 4-down.

No question in my mind that 4-down is the most convenient.

As for the towed car, I would choose based on the style of car I liked, e.g. SUV vs sedan, smaller vs larger, fuel economy, etc. In any given type there is likely at least a few (and usually more) that can be towed 4-down, either "as is" or with a modification that runs maybe $2000 extra.

You ask for recommendations; I'm not sure how much you want to spend, if you want to go new or used, and whether or not you are willing to drive a standard transmission.  I assume since you say small and fuel efficient, you don't want an SUV.  FWIW, when we bought a car to tow, we got a 2002 Honda Accord with the 4 cyl automatic.  It doubles as a car for my teenage daughter to drive.  Hondas of the late 90s and early 2000s with automatic transmissions were approved by Honda for towing 4 down. (there is a very specific procedure to avoid damaging the transmission) Sometime in the mid-2000s, Honda quit recommending towing them.  You can find plenty of info on this by searching this site.  We have been very pleased with ours, towing it on a 4000 mile trip out west this summer.

There are small SUVs with excellent mpg ratings, but small sedans are often even better. However, SUV need not equate to "big"  or "fuel hog", e.g. the Honda CRV, Honda Fit, GMC Terrain, Chevy Equinox, Ford Escape, etc. All popular toads...

We never considered a dolly three years ago when we went full time, especially after reading the information on the Forum.

We already had a 2006 Honda Accord four door 6-speed manual, that had every Honda option. 25,000 towed miles later, and 175,000 road miles later, we still get a consistent 30 mpg with a six cylinder. And it is plug and play when towed. Safety chains, wiring cable, and air brake cable and we are gone in ten minutes with a Roadmaster All Terrain bar and Air Force One supplemental brakes. And the Honda weighs under 3400# wet.

For full timers, I am not sure a dolly makes good sense. For non full timers, I can see the trade off easily enough.

To each his own!

Kim

Thank you so much, everyone.  It does seem like four wheels down is the preferred method.  Thanks so much for your input!

Most of us would take four-down any time.  We've never used a dolly and the reason is we've observed how difficult some can be to dismantle when there's mud on the straps or they're wet, the difficulty finding a place to store them in campgrounds, and just generally more hassle.

ArdraF

4 down as others prefer works for us also. We chose the CRV because it is low enough for the Lab to jump into the back without help. We can have 4 people in it and still have enough room for the Lab in the back. Usually the back seats are folded down so the dog has more room but she can be inconvenienced for a short time if needed! If the dogs can?t go, neither do we! Have fun.

Mavarick said:
4 down as others prefer works for us also. We chose the CRV because it is low enough for the Lab to jump into the back without help. We can have 4 people in it and still have enough room for the Lab in the back. Usually the back seats are folded down so the dog has more room but she can be inconvenienced for a short time if needed! If the dogs can?t go, neither do we! Have fun.

You would inconvenience your Lab for PEOPLE ? Shame on you :)

We have a lifted Jeep and a Papillion, no problem with getting in; he levitates! :) He knows the back seat is his, but will sometimes allow a girl to ride with him.

Ernie

When we first went from a trailer  to a motorhome the dealer gave us a tow dolly.  We used it a while  with some frustration for about 9 months. I was hooking up  leave El Paso the temp was well over a 100.  When I was finished I decided that when we got home  the first thing I would do is buy a vehicle that could be flat towed.  I would never consider a dolly again.  If I could not tow I would go to a enclosed 20 ft trailer or stay home. 

With my tow dolly I can tow any front drive car without modifications to the brakes, lights or front end.  I have a midsize and compact car.  My daughter comes with us some times and we've brought her car too.  I wouldn't want to modify three cars for 4 down. My cars are getting up there in mileage and will replace one soon.  The DW and I have it down to a well oiled machine.  Don't have any problems that others have.

You would inconvenience your Lab for PEOPLE ? Shame on you

LOL, I know but it's the in-laws and I couldn't get away with making them ride in the back! Besides, they are older than the Lab!

Just like every other question the answer is "it depends". I tow a car on one trip a year. It's a 7 month trip. A 4 down toad is the only way to go for me. Once the car is set up to tow, I'm good to go for a minimum of 10 years or more since I don't want or need to have the latest, newest, fanciest car in the trailer park. My toad is 10 years old now and has 55,000 driving miles and about 40,000 towed miles. It's not worn out! It has 4 doors, it's 2 wheel, front wheel drive. Yes, it has power leather seats, and the fancy radio, and some other nice features, but it's no Mercedes.

I've got my hook up and unhook procedure down pat. It takes just minutes to do either. I wouldn't want a tow dolly or trailer. For me, towing 4 down is the only way to go.

If I wanted a new car every 2 years, then a tow dolly might be worth the extra work required for any site except pull thrus. If you only park in pull thru's then a dolly or trailer is easier. I don't RV like that, so 4 down is my favorite. 

Ken

Have done the trailer and dolly towing in the past. Switched to 4 down and now towing a 2013 Kia with manual tranny.  Will never go back to Dolly or Trailer 4 down way to go..  I also love the Kia as a toad easy to hook up and lightweight behind motorhome don't even know its there and bonus as a 6 ft 2 in  265lb man I fit in the car and it is fun to drive  WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT I LIKE A KIA  LOL 

TOW DOLLY ALL THE WAY.  There is a thread out here that goes deeply into the pros and cons of both so I will not
re-hash it all over again.  I would never, NEVER tow 4-down.

4 down no question.  How small your willing to go for a toad will be one of your choices.  And 4 wheel drive will be another.  Standard or auto trans another.  We really like our Ford Focus, it's automatic gets super fuel mileage.  Easy to hook up no having to stop and start the engine along the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom