Big Bang!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art In Mobile

As so many folks with good reason ask how a Winnebago RV might handle during tire blowouts, lets start this thread for those of us who have had tire blowouts with our Winnebago products and how the RV did handle. List your model, speed, tire position, and any other information that might be helpfull.
I suggest this to help folks enjoy and relax a little knowing a little more about how other folks came out with their experience with the Big Bang!
First I would like to remind you all that you see real life police chase's with crooks doing over 90 MPH with some tires blown or shot out. Riding on a round rim is just a little more bumpy. They do amazing things while still running from the law. All we have to do with our RV's is just get over to the side of the road safely. Yet I here of bus drivers hitting trees after a blow out. I can't answer for them.
Here is my right front blowout report with a Winnebago Voyage 35 Gasser at about 70MPH on I-10 in Beaumount TX. First the Big Bang! I was in the passing lane. It is so true that when it goes Bang all other cars give you room as they are more afraid than I was. Pieces of rubber coming off sort of just cleared out the traffic.  Going to the right was very easy as no car wanted to be beside me. I pushed on the accelerator as a small rim does not roll as good as a tire. It needs more power to spin at first. It handled very well as I did not apply brakes till I was over on the right where I wanted to stop. The rubber was still on the rim which helped protect the rim some.  I have no aftermarket steering gadits on my F53 chassis.
  Next Big Bang in Corpus Christi TX. was on the right rear outside tire on a new tire. As it was a duel no real handling problem.
I have a CDL class A. You will find if you just don't hit the brakes hard at the start you have a very good chance of a great ending to the excitement! I want to cover myself with don't try this at home and your experiences my very! Lets here your story.

Thanks for the report, Art. Probably the most important advice is DON'T HIT THE BRAKES, just ride the vehicle as it slows naturally. Maybe even apply a bit of go-pedal to keep it pointed in the necessary direction.

And yes, people tend to get out of your way after "the big bang".

I'll post my 3 bangs... all rear with duals.
1st...
I-95 south just short of LPGA drive. Left outside dual at about 70mph and 11pm (last push to parents house in New Smyrna Beach...FIGURES!)
Started to feel a rumble and was trying to figure out where it was coming from. As we passed the exit ramp I was backing off the gas. It went from rumble to thump to pieces flying in about 5 tire rotations. I let it coast and got as far off the road as I could. Naturally, the trucks were FLYING past us. I got out inspected, saw water dripping and decided to try limping on. Nope. Tire must be changed. Short version, it was dark, I was too close to the driving lane for comfort, and the duals were STUCK together. It took about 30 minutes, but we were on the road again. 3 days worth of repairs to water and power lines and structural repairs to the obliterated wheel well.
#2...
Leaving for a Science Olympiad competition a few hours away. Left early in the morning, and only got about 1.5 hours away. Started feeling another one of those odd rumbling feelings. Quickly let off the gas and managed to slow down to about 40 before the outside right dual gave up the ghost. Fortunately, we had a decent place to stop and in about 20 minutes we were on our way.
#3...
2 days later returning from the competition. About half way home and another rumble. Hit the emergency blinkers as I let off the gas and slowed to about 40mph. Maintained a slow limp on the shoulder and got off the conveniently approaching exit. There was a cute little fishing access parking lot right there and we changed the inside left dual while it still held air. It was so nice, we stayed and made dinner. Since the tires had experienced a 7th birthday, we put new Transforce HT's on the rear axle the following week.
I do like those tires.
So I'm in agreement with the SLOW DOWN and DON'T BRAKE instructions. I would also suggest to anyone who has not experienced the BIG BANG to monitor your rump for a weird rumble. Any doubt, slow down, pull over, and inspect the tires for lumps, bumps, or anything out of the ordinary. A fragmenting tire WILL damage the undercarriage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom