Winterizing questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhounds

I read the checklist for winterizing in the library but still have some questions. I have a 2003 Coachmen Freedom 258db and on the panel it has screw nozzle for "winterizing". I am assuming I need a portable hand pump to connect to that nozzle and load my antifreeze to the water system??? Or is there a different way of adding antifreeze to the system?

I see where it states no need to added antifreeze to the holding tanks. I thought it was required to keep the holding tank valves from becoming damaged?

Currently my black tank is empty, grey tank has very little water...just enough where the hot water was tested at the time of purchase. The fresh water tank has approximately 10 gallons of water. 

I have 3 gallons of RV antifreeze and a different answer from everyone that commented on my blog plus emails...to the point of confusion.

What kind of clarification on the process can you give me?

Thanks for your help.

{note}: Checking youtube.

If you drain the holding tanks and leave the valve open, there can be no water in a position to damage the valves. If you want to close the drain valves, add a quart or two of antifreeze solution to each tank so that any liquid at the valve doesn't freeze.

Without knowing what that winterizing inlet is plumbed to, it's hard to be sure. Typically it is an inlet to the suction side of the pump, so that the water pump can be used to suck antifreeze from a bucket or jug. There is usually a valve associated with it, to divert the pump intake from the fresh tank to the inlet valve. Not sure how yours is set up, though.

I have found my drains for the fresh water tank. Both black and gray are empty. Coachmen has a water works panel showing the position of the valves to winterize and then an input for antifreeze that does work, since i have used about a gallon and can't find where it went. I have called Coachmen (very helpful) again and am starting the process over once my fresh water tank is empty and the drain valves are closed.

This is my first time but thought I would do this to not only learn the process but it seemed pretty simple.

Sounds like you did not by-pass the water heater.  If you did not by-pass the WH, look for the by-pass valves near the WH.  My 2000 Coachmen Santara had them under the kitchen cabinets.  I had to remove a drawer to access them.  Also, my Coachmen had 3 separate by-pass valves.  Yours may have 1, 2 or 3, but I suspect it has 3 like mine.

Attached is a snapshot of the water control panel in various Coachmen.  Mine is like the upper right image (5 valves).  Yours may be similar.  The "winterize" valve is set to draw anti-freeze from a jug - which is exactly what you did apparently.  If you did not have the by-pass valve(s) in the correct position, you may have pumped a gallon into your WH.

Attachments

• valves.jpg
    valves.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Tom. I have the upper left panel. After my second call to Coachmen, I found the WH by-pass valves under the bed. That is where my fresh water tank drain switches were. After I drained the fresh water tank and changed the valves of the water heater the process went flawless and I had pink fluid coming out of all faucets, shower head and toilet. Just for a peace of mind I put a little antifreeze in all my traps and the toilet.

Put it on leveling blocks since would have been sitting in grass and called it a day.

I'm finding experience beats reading for faster learning.

Thanks for all the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom