Towing with a Yukon questions...Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abnrgr_2

Hello to all! New guy here in the forums and towing. Here's my situation and I hope I can get a good answer before I buy. I have a 2002 Yukon SLE 4.8L V8 with a 3.73 axle. I need to go from Ft. Benning, Ga (Columbus, GA) to Ft. Huachuca, AZ (Sierra Vista, AZ) this October, it is approximately 1750 miles and plan on doing 300-350 miles a day. I have 5 days authorized for travel but can take afew more if needed.  I am planning on being there for 6 months for school and then back.

I am looking at a used 2005 28RSDS for 15,800 with all tow package included (hitch, stabilizer/anti-sway/brakes...the works). The Keystone Outback 28RSDS says to be 5520 lbs /length 29'.  This is from a dealer.  NADA pricing has it from 14,670-17,680.

First off is this a good price? I checked out the model first hand and it looks great! Second and most important...can I tow this TT with my vehicle?

Length of TV (2002 Yukon) is 199", GW 6800 lbs, wheel base 116", 275 HP, max tow capacity of 6800 lbs.  I will be travelling dry with just some uniforms and gear...not too much in weight. Is this possible?

Second is a 2005 Keystone Zeppelin Z 301 with a weight of 5100 lbs, length of 30' for 13,000.  This is from a private party...is this a reasonable price?  NADA has it from 11,880-14,470.  The owner says it is completely kitted out.

I have been told yes, I can pull the Outback and no, that I can't.  I have been researching this subject for weeks now and really need the ground truth on pulling this vehicle or the Zeppelin.

I plan on living in the TT for 6 months and do need the room, that is why I am opting for a 30 footer.

Please...I would love to hear some expert opinions, because to tell the truth...I am a newbie when it comes to this. I have 5 travel days to get there, so i don't plan on driving fast. Any opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks

A few thoughts.  Yukons are not great tow vehicles with that small engine.  As you say, they are rated at 6700 lbs.  We like to discount that rating by 10% for a safety factor.  Make that 20% for the mountain west.  Ft. Huachuca is in the mountain west.  Thus we would not recommend that you tow more than 5360 lbs. 

What weight would that be compared with?  You should compare it with the actual weight of the trailer as scaled, when packed for travel.  Failing that it should be compared with the grosss vehicle weight rating GVWR of the trailer.  Why not the dry weight?  The dry weight is a calculated figure for the line of trailers.  It does not include common options like awnings, nor does it include propane, kitchen gear, foodstuff, bedding, clothes, and the general crap we all schlepp.  Also, if you intend to use it as a motel on the road to Huachuca, then you have to add water, fresh, gray or black to the load.  A 1000 lb payload would not be out of line.

Maybe you should look for smaller trailers.

Another issue is winter.  Huachuca is at 5000 feet.  I have lived in Huachuca.  They tend to have good old fashioned cold winters since they back up on an 8-9000 foot mountain range.  Winterization of an RV will be an issue:  frozen water hoses, frozen grey water and worse in the sewer hoses, etc.. 

Recommendation?  If you are set on trailer living, buy or rent locally in Sierra Vista, the city next to Huachuca.  That eliminates most of the haulage issues, and you may find it easier to find a trailer suitable to the climate.  There are a lot of RVers that frequent Sierra Vista. Some who post here in the forum.  Hopefully they can give you a better fill in on the current conditions in Huachuca.

Yeah, that Outback will really push the limits of your Yukon.  You don't have to do any major hill climbing to get to Huachacha, so maybe the 20% derating factor doesn't apply to this single trip, but it will apply to others in the West.

That 6800 lb tow capacity assumes no load of any kind in the Yukon, nothing but you (and even that assumes you weigh 155 lbs). If you pile any gear into the Yukon, you have to subtract that. Even the weight of the hitch gets subtracted from the 6800. So realistically we are probably talking 6500 or less and don't expect good performance wen loaded to the max lke that. It ain't gonna happen.  :(

As for the price, it doesn't sound too bad if that's everything, out the door. Sounds like you are paying low NADA book for the trailer plus the price of the hitch and such.  Not a steal, but probably a reasonable price. 

In the private sale, I would expect to pay no more than NADA low book and usually less. RV buyers know that a dealer will only offer low wholesale for an RV, so the seller usually has to accept something less than the retail book value. I would not pay $13,000 - offer no more than  $11,800 and maybe negotiate a bit. Better yet, offer $11,200 and let him drag you up to $11,800 or $12,000. If you have time, you can wait him out.

The 5000 lb UVW of the Zeppelin is enough lighter to help you stay under your tow limit. It's a better bet than the 5500 lb rig.  So can you tow a trailer with a 5000 lb unladen weight for 1750 miles? Maybe this once, but be aware that you are stretching the envelope.  You really should be looking at at somewhat smaller, maybe an UVW of 4500 lbs or so. That way it probably weighs in at 5500 total when actuallyready for the road.

Thanks for the info!  I will offer less for the 28RSDS, but the Zeppelin Z301...I've heard good and bad about it.  Any advice or recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom