If your toad is a Jeep that was subject to that transfer case recall........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobguigley

.....I hope you have better luck than we did.    Shortly after the recall service was performed, the actuator on our transfer case failed, leaving us stuck in neutral.  A Jeep dealer replaced the part under warranty, but three times now since that, we haven't been able to shift the transfer case. 

Our local Jeep Service center rep tells me that the actuator must be replaced again and it won't be available until Jan 15.  Apparently there is a back order for 500 units across the country and that Jeep may  have to modify the part to be more reliable.

Looks like our next trip may begin with my wife driving our toad.

I'd be sourcing an aftermarket transfer case. The time and money you're spending being without a useable vehicle while you wait for yours to be serviced would probably offset the costs and you'd have yours to drive.

Without the OP giving more information I would speculate when he is stating actuator and recall he has either a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee or 2006-2010 Commander.  These models had electronically actuated transfer cases that had some electrical actuator as well as circuit board issues.

Mike.

I tow an '05 Jeep GC with the electronic transfer case and I refuse to get the recall done for this reason.  You will probably have much better luck posting this on a Jeep specific forum such as jeepforum.com and go to the WK subforum.  You will see a post MANY pages long about recall campaign N23.  Most of the people in that thread starting having issues with the T-case actuator AFTER the recall was performed... with no prior issues before it was performed.  Many called Chrysler about the issue and were told that it couldn't possibly be related?!?!?  Well obviously it is and there will need to be something done to rectify this problem.  I'm not getting anything done to my Jeep until they get it sorted out!

I have been trying to get that recall taken care of on my 2013 Rubicon but they have a back order on the parts!  I was told that the dealerships only get 1 every 2 weeks!!  I'm #10 on their list so I guess that means I'm waiting for 5 weeks.  My Recall notice says it's only for Jeeps 2012 & 2013 with Automatic Transmissions.  It's recall N28, is this the one you're also talking about?  Now I'm second guessing having it done!
Mikie

4ducksrus said:
I have been trying to get that recall taken care of on my 2013 Rubicon but they have a back order on the parts!  I was told that the dealerships only get 1 every 2 weeks!!  I'm #10 on their list so I guess that means I'm waiting for 5 weeks.  My Recall notice says it's only for Jeeps 2012 & 2013 with Automatic Transmissions.  It's recall N28, is this the one you're also talking about?  Now I'm second guessing having it done!
Mikie

I am assuming this is a different recall notice because a 2012/2013 Wrangler has the manual shift TC like earlier model Wranglers.  The Rubicon model will have a manual shift NV241OR transfer case.

Mike.

I am going to go out on a limb here and "assume" we are talking about two different vehicles.  This could be cleared up if the OP would chime back in with more specific data about his Jeep.

I know there is a recall on the 2005-2010 Grand Cherokees and 2006-2010 Commanders that have the electronically actuated transfer cases.  This is again what I am "assuming" the OP has.

4ducksrus specified he has a 2013 Rubicon which I am "assuming" he is talking Wrangler and there isn't a transfer case recall for that model but there is a automatic transfer case recall for 2012 and 2013 Wrangler Rubicons where one of the transmission cooler lines will come in contact with the steering and potentially rub/wear a hole in the transmission cooler line.

Mike.

"4ducksrus specified he has a 2013 Rubicon which I am "assuming" he is talking Wrangler and there isn't a transfer case recall for that model but there is a automatic transfer case recall for 2012 and 2013 Wrangler Rubicons where one of the transmission cooler lines will come in contact with the steering and potentially rub/wear a hole in the transmission cooler line."

Zmotorsports,
Yes, you're correct in that I'm talking Wrangler (Wrangler Unlimited) Rubicon.  And what it says exactly on my recall is; "the transmission oil cooler tube on your vehicle may come in contact with the power steering fluid return tube.  Prolonged contact of the tubes could cause a leak in the transmission oil cooler tube.  Operating the vehicle with insufficient transmission fluid may cause damage to the transmission and a loss of transmission function which may increase the risk of a crash."

So, my question is this...has anyone else had this taken care of and are they having any issues as a result?  Also, does anyone else besides me think that its totally unacceptable for Jeep to NOT have the parts for a recall?? 

My BIL had his new 2013 addressed a few months back.  I believe all they do is install a strain relief which holds the transmission cooler line and the steering lines away from each other but I am not 100% sure.  I have not seen my BIL's Jeep since he had it done.  I am curious though so I will have to look next time I see him.

I wouldn't say it is unacceptible for the dealership to not have the parts in stock.  The dealerships don't have any idea when the recall comes out how many Jeeps each individual dealership will see for a certain recall or TSB upgrade.  If one dealership gets a rush of Jeeps for the same thing before they have a chance to reorder it is totally understandable that they may have to wait for more to show up.

Mike.

Note that the 2012/3 Rubicons also have an issue with the transfer case shifter cable. See ???'s (4x4 board) write up on the repair. Mine crapped out the first time I tried to shift the transfer case into neural.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
Note that the 2012/3 Rubicons also have an issue with the transfer case shifter cable. See ???'s (4x4 board) write up on the repair. Mine crapped out the first time I tried to shift the transfer case into neural.

Ernie

Actually the shifter cable ends are an issue on all JK/JKU's from 2007 to present.  The real answer is the Advance Adapters new shifter cable.  I absolutely love mine and love the confidence I have knowing that I am not going to be the one that is holding people up either on the trail or in the campground entrance because I can't shift my TC.

Mike.

The jeeps I'm referring to are the 05  - 10 Grand Cherokees and I believe a few Commanders.  I received a recall notice that my Jeep was affected.

The actuator is the mechanic device that does the physical shifting of the transfer from drive to neutral and vice versa.  It likely contains a large solenoid.  The actuator is a bit larger than a starter.

I don't know if the recall and actuator problems are related or merely a coincidence.

I wish that my 09 had the same transfer shift lever that my 01. Grand Cherokee had.

Good news, I think...a replacement actuator was installed yesterday.  It was promised for jan 14th.  I hope this one works better than the last two!

bobguigley said:
.....I hope you have better luck than we did.    Shortly after the recall service was performed, the actuator on our transfer case failed, leaving us stuck in neutral.  A Jeep dealer replaced the part under warranty, but three times now since that, we haven't been able to shift the transfer case. 

Our local Jeep Service center rep tells me that the actuator must be replaced again and it won't be available until Jan 15.  Apparently there is a back order for 500 units across the country and that Jeep may  have to modify the part to be more reliable.

Looks like our next trip may begin with my wife driving our toad.
Happened to us too after the original Recall Reflash the Transfer Case would not go into Neutral. Took it back to the Dealer and had it Re-Reflashed, and now it works, no $$ spent.

...and if you still occasionally get the SERVICE 4 WHEEL DRIVE message, you may be interested in a PRE N23 Final Drive Control Module. The module in your jeep should end with 129AJ,AH etc., it will not work for FCDM ending in 199. We kept this with us every trip and used it to get the jeep either into neutral or back into drive mode. It is from a jeep that was in the boneyard and this FCDM has never been touched with N23. A god-send for our trips. If interested asking $100, which includes shipping. Make sure its the right one please, no returns accepted.

Attachments

• 20170604_072803.jpg
    20170604_072803.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 15
Sorry guys, but I drive a 1966 Chevy 4x4, which is bulletproof, fully mechanical and can be flat-towed. Now, why would anyone in their right mind design an electrically operated transfer case? Electrically operated automatic transmission, sure, but an electric transfer case in a Jeep?

Vehicle$ have ju$t become too gadget$-filled and too expen$ive...

Rant over...

Back
Top Bottom