Traveling Alaska Ferry with dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mketron

New to the forum!  We are going to Alaska this spring/summer.  We will be traveling from Bellingham to Juneau via the ferry.  There are some stops along the way for shoreline dog walks but the length of the ferry ride is 60+ hours.  I'm interested in how your pets, specifically dogs, did on the long journey.  How did they handle 'potty' breaks during the 15 minute car deck calls?  Bellingham to Ketchikan is 30+ hours with no shore stops.  Any suggestions to make the trip easier on the dog? 

We traveled to Alaska and back in 2001 from the Atlanta area with a dog and a cockatiel.  We didn't do any long trips on the ferry so it was not a problem with the dog or the bird.  No bird traveling this time.  Just a 9 lb. toy poodle.

Thanks.

Just make sure you don't miss any breaks....fortunately my dog is trained to go in the shower, if I remember to un-store all the stuff I have in there, otherwise she will go on a newspaper.

I made the trip Southbound (Ketchikan - Bellingham) with the dog and she did fine. She never used the newspaper I put down or the shower. I will admit she was reluctant to go on the boat deck....but when she figured out that was as good as it was going to get, she decided what the hell....

Not sure how well your dog is trained, but mine will hold it until she is ready to burst...then she will retreat to a newspaper or in a real emergency the shower. I trained her as a pup to use the shower in my stick house after she was already paper-trained.

Bad news - the Ex got the damn dog....

Good Luck, you will enjoy the journey and the dog will adapt!!

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom