Portable radio operation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cavalry6869

I am thinking about taking my Outbacker OB-8 w/ Outpost base, my FT-897 with options and my computer to play on the airwaves.  Will be operating SSB and digital modes mostly.  OK CW guys I have hearing damage and ringing in my ears so CW is not easy for me.  My question for opinions is, do you think RG-58 will be sufficient or should I go to a larger coax?  Probably will not operate on VHF/UHF from campground but might from mobile.  I will be using a dummy load on the unused side just in case.

Whether to use RG-58 depends on how long the cable run is. If you're keeping it within about 50-75 feet I'd not see a particular problem with RG-58 at HF freqs (UHF, of course, is a different story). Still, RG-8x might be a good choice for cable that isn't as big and heavy as RG-8 but still gives slightly improved performance at HF.

Hi Larry,
I am figuring around 50 feet to get it away from the trailers.  I usually operate from the picnic table at most campsites.  We used to keep a trailer in a campground in Westmoreland County, VA and I would be busy for hours with contacts.  Evidently not a lot of hams in that County.  Thanks for the input.  73 de K3CAV (Ed)

Back
Top Bottom