It is time get a new 5th wheel or toy hauler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tawjmn

I am currently living fulltime in a 2005 Cougar 281BH I work on the road managing environmental remediation sites 4 months to a year on a site then moving to another one so most of the time it is sitting, I spend most of current time alone in it, with wife and older teenagers coming to visit for a few weeks maybe 2 or 3 times a year at most so bunkhouse really not needed.  We are planning on my wife joining me in another year when the youngest graduates high school. 
I have been leaning to getting toy hauler to have additional space for tools, and to stretch out in or bringing 4 wheeler on the road with me for weekends, also when my wife joins me we need space for her sewing stuff she has embroidery machine and looking at getting quilting machine that is like 8? long. 
I have 2006 F250 SD crew cab with 6.0 diesel which tows the current one without knowing it is there. 

Need advice on models and layout of units, wants needs what are the things you have and like what would you add if could?

Things on our want list.
1. 12 gallon hot water heater or instant one
2. Generator on board
3. Washer & dryer hookups
4. Bath &  a half (just out there wondering if good thing)
5. Large couch or lounge seat not much in dinette area found we don?t use really that much
6. Queen drop beds in garage do not expect kids with much
a. Youngest will graduate high school at same time college with AA so she will be off to 4 year school from there
b. Oldest not interested in school so she has two years to get herself settled
7. Full sized residential fridge?? have brand new one that we will put in garage so this is not absolute but nice
8. Since I work on road and can end up lots of different places needs to have a very good insulation package

I have time to find what I want,  I had been looking hard at a Keystone Raptor 365LEV but thinking might be bit much for my truck, I love the Keystone products but since this will be home for a long time want to find the right fit.

Thom

Your list of requirements kind of points to a large TH, I think you will be needing to look for more TV.  We have a small light TH (325SRX) the new model (326SRX) has most of what you are looking for, however the next step up is in the triple axle range, which in my humble opinion will need more truck.  A few years ago a family that we met down in Ocean Lakes pulled in with a brand new King, triple axle TH and brand new F450.  After talking a bit, we found that he had originally hooked the unit to an F350, Diesel, Dually, long bed (same as ours) however went straight back to the dealer for the F450.  The stability issues were solved with the F450, they were happy.  I think your truck will haul something like the 326SRX, however that's about the limit.  Just random to think about, best of luck to you!

Oh I am not hard set on TV I will buy what ever I need for it, I have no home or expenses in that way. This is kind of my retirement job seeing USA working and spending time laying on the beach.  I have looked at the SRX and garage is a little small.  I plan to carry some of my work and wood working tools when moving from sites. 

tawjmn said:
Oh I am not hard set on TV I will buy what ever I need for it, I have no home or expenses in that way. This is kind of my retirement job seeing USA working and spending time laying on the beach.  I have looked at the SRX and garage is a little small.  I plan to carry some of my work and wood working tools when moving from sites.
Ahh, very different story.  I envy you, so many awesome choices with the TH's out there!  Yes, the SRX bay is the smallest of the lot, that's for sure.  If I was not at the absolute limit of getting in/out of my driveway, I would surely look at larger TH's, I love being able to use our own golf cart on vacations, then enjoy the extra space on site.  Onboard genset, triple axle 40' unit, washer/dryer, multiple entertainment centers (in and out) and golf cart or atv... what else could one ask for!!  Good luck, post some pictures when you get your setup!

Back
Top Bottom