Winter emergency kit for your truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twistedlarch

Hey everyone, I'm trying to put together a winter emergency kit for my truck and am looking for more input/ideas on what to put in it.  This winter I'll be taking many ski trips with my 5 year old son, several of those trips will be night skiing.

Here is what I have on my list so far:

2 Blankets
20' Tow chain
2 gallons of water
Can of fix A flat
Folding shovel
MRE's
Flash lights
Bag of  Paver's sand
Road flares

I know I'm missing something, anyone have anymore ideas?

Plumber's candles and a large tin can.  Candles in the tin can give quite  a bit of heat and can keep the cab somewhat warmer if you slide in the ditch and can't get out

How are you going to keep the water from freezing? That might not be  good item to bring. If you do bring candles, make sure to open a window just a little to let air in to replace the air that was used for the candle.

Twistedlarch said:
Hey everyone, I'm trying to put together a winter emergency kit for my truck and am looking for more input/ideas on what to put in it.  This winter I'll be taking many ski trips with my 5 year old son, several of those trips will be night skiing.

Here is what I have on my list so far:

2 Blankets
20' Tow chain
2 gallons of water
Can of fix A flat
Folding shovel
MRE's
Flash lights
Bag of  Paver's sand
Road flares

I know I'm missing something, anyone have anymore ideas?

I agree with Rene concerning water.  Obtaining water shouldn't be a problem when in survival mode in the Winter.  Why bring 2 gallons along with you?  A few bottles of water from the corner gas station would be fine.  And easier to melt if frozen.  What I would also add to the kit is a sharp pocket knife (and/or hatchet if room available), extra socks and gloves (No cotton.  Doesn't provide insulation when wet.  And the boy won't stay warm as long as you.), a small mirror (saves your flares for signaling during the day if sunshine permits), waterproof matches.  All small items that could make a big difference.

There are also apps available for smart phones to get help ASAP when stranded in the Winter.

Just thought of something else...Don't forget a roll of good ole TP!  Great for wiping a little boys nose. As well as the obvious. 

Great Ideas guy's!  :)  I knew I was forgetting a few things.

As for the water, 2 gallons is probably overkill :D The mountain passes I'll be driving don't usually get extremely cold, they hover around 20-25 degrees at their coldest.  I think with the water all tucked away in a storage tote insulated by all the stuff would be fine or keep it in the cab.

The road I travel is a major pass, but at night time it's pretty quiet.  If we were to get stranded it wouldn't be for very long at all, BUT, you never know!

I wanted road flares because I think they would show up best on a snowing night if I had to change a tire or free myself from a drift or ditch.

Cell phones...There's about a 50 mile stretch of highway with zero coverage  :(

I'd want extra batteries for the flashlight.  The flashlight should have a strong beam.  Some now have flashing lights on one end.

Food - Have a can of Spam that can be eaten for energy without heating.  A bag of dried fruits (cranberries, cherries, raisins, currants, blueberries) mixed together.  I buy them at the grocery store then mix them together in a big plastic bag.  A jar of peanuts or similar.  We always take some of these when four wheeling.

You said blankets.  You can get those solar blankets at places like REI.  Will you have sleeping bags?

I think I'd keep the water in the truck which will keep it warmer for longer.

Tire chains.

Good luck!
ArdraF

Couple of things....

1.  Weight.  The worst problem with a truck is that the rear axle tends to be very light.  That's your biggest traction problem.  Get some weight over the axle.  I add eight of those 50lb sandbags to the bed of my truck for the winter.

2.  Ditch the chain and throw in a tow strap.  It's lighter and one heck of a lot easier to handle in a snowy/wet situation.  They also don't rust and make a mess of your truck.

3.  Food.  If you do get cold, you can easily burn 5k calories a day just trying to stay warm.  Pack something high caloric like energy bars or something else with lots of protein and low maintenance.

4. Boots.  I leave my high insulation boots in my truck under the back seat for the winter.  I usually have boots on anyway, but they are lighter insulated work boots.  If you have to walk out of a bad situation, those two feet are all you have to rely on.

Weight for traction...very good point.  I think I'm okay, I have a fiberglass canopy over the back of my 6.5' bed and also have a heavy rubber stall mat (Aprox. 80-100 lbs) back there.  I also have a brand new set of Goodyear Duratrac tires on the truck.

I also like the idea of having a  pair of insulated boots in the truck too :)

Jumper cables and tire chains are ALWAYS in my truck, probably why I didn't add them to my list.  A set of tire chains have saved my butt twice when I've been stuck in the mud!

Another thing I thought of is maybe throwing a set of coveralls into the kit, they would come in handy if I had to chain up or crawl around underneath the truck or assist another person needing help.  You can usually find a cheap used pair at your local Napa store.

Brian

Several large, contractor trash bags (the 3 mil thick ones) are always good for survival in winter.  You cut holes in the bottom and put them on over your head.  Can cut holes for arms, but better not because arms will stay warmer inside bag.  Can also use one to put your feet in.  They take up almost no space and hold a lot of body heat.  They are good supplements to the blankets, and I would take maybe 8 of them. 

Also, need several pairs of gloves and extra heavy socks, plus some pull-on hats.  Should bring several of each of these because you never know how many people you will have with you. 

Another item is extra batteries, and one of those cell phone chargers that works off AAA batteries. 

Several large, contractor trash bags (the 3 mil thick ones) are always good for survival in winter.  You cut holes in the bottom and put them on over your head.

If it's cold enough to need that extra, this could potentially set you up for freezing to death. Those bags don't breathe, so moisture would accumulate under them, then later turn to ice. They'd be OK for a very short while, but not for long. Using them over heavy clothes and/or blankets would extend the useful time, but you still need to be aware of the need to let moisture out -- that's why Gore-Tex? was developed for outdoor clothing. However wool is the best material for survival use, as even when wet it insulates, so the bags over wool might work for quite a while. Over cotton or polyester though...

Amen on the wool.  Especially in a situation where you are going to have to go from exertion to sitting still in dangerous temperatures.

Wool retains something like 80% of it's insulation value when wet.  Get stuck in the snow and you WILL sweat.  You don't want that moisture lying on you and freezing up.  Cotton is pretty much worthless once it gets wet.

The coveralls are a good idea, too. Spend a couple extra bucks and get the ones with the zippers up both legs.  Makes em a lot easier to get into over your clothes and easier to vent when you get too warm.

Another old-timer reminder....hats, hats, hats!!  Your body will scavenge blood flow and therefore heat from every other part of your body in order to keep your dome going.  If you don't have a good hat, you are going to be cold, period.  Old hunters will tell you if your feet are cold, put on a hat.  If your feet are still cold, put on another hat!

I try to remember anytime we drive in inclement weather that I am probably the one stuck going for help.  I pack planning for a long walk in bad weather, not just sitting in the truck waiting.

In my survival class years ago, in addition to many sources since then, 80% to 90% of your body's heat loss is through your head. Hats (warm ones, not mesh hats though) are necessary in the cold, especially extreme cold, no matter how much hair is on your head.

When I was a sno fighter a scarf and hat kept my hands and feet warm. Pack zip ties and duct tape in your kit. Duct tape and those trash bags can seal a broken window. Zip ties may hold something together long enough to drive a few more miles.

jstrubberg said:
Another old-timer reminder....hats, hats, hats!!  Your body will scavenge blood flow and therefore heat from every other part of your body in order to keep your dome going.  If you don't have a good hat, you are going to be cold, period.  Old hunters will tell you if your feet are cold, put on a hat.  If your feet are still cold, put on another hat!

I try to remember anytime we drive in inclement weather that I am probably the one stuck going for help.  I pack planning for a long walk in bad weather, not just sitting in the truck waiting.

Great notes.    Exactly correct about the "old hunters".  Bringing along some large trash bags is also a good idea.  But if going to be "wearing" them, condensation from sweat will be a problem if stranded for a time.  That plastic doesn't breath.  Being wet and cold doesn't mix well.  Be careful.

My opinion is to plan for the worst.  Then tell the end of the storey later because you're still here to tell it!  Remember, you mentioned you will have a child with you.

We keep a pair of down sleeping bags in the pickup bed.  Before we had 4 wheel drive trucks, we carried several sand bags there too.

Jeannine

Add to your list:
Knife
Tire Chains Nevermind I see you have them already.
Lighter/Matches and a fire starter

wool socks, they work well even when wet
ditto for wool blankets
matches and lighters
flares to shoot in the air

never let the gas tank fall low, keep it topped up when you hit 3/4 tank fill up if at all possible

I would have 2 not 1 of the Fix a flats

Pen and paper to write down your GPS coordinates before it dies, leave notes etc.

Back
Top Bottom