2010 Winnebago 42AD - 4-corner weights are way different

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrschwarz

I realize that this is an old post [staff edit - see note below], but it is spot onto a problem I am having. I recently purchased a 2010 Winnebago 42AD. While in Livingston, TX, I participated in the Escapees Smartweigh program. Here are the results. Fresh water, fuel, and propane tanks were full. Normal cargo was loaded and my wife and I were aboard. Here are the weights that were recorded. All tires are 275/80-22.5 load range H with a single capacity of 7160 lbs and 6610 lbs dual.

Left-Right
Front    7500-7000
Drive    5100-7880
Tag      5100-4570

As you can see, the left front is over the capacity of the tire. I had a conversation with FCCC, who described the weights as 'screwy'. Note that the left front is heavier than the right. The right rear is a LOT heavier than the left and the left tag is heavier than the right. To be sure, the Escapees folks weighed it twice. I have an appointment at Dallas Freightliner next Monday to see what's what. I will keep in mind the adjustment to the tag air pressure. There is a truck scale across the street from the dealer. I will make sure the weights are as close to right as I can get.

Staff edit:  this post was split off an old thread to start a new topic

John Canfield said:
Those are odd weights.  Maybe some others with >= 2010 year model Tour/Ellipse will chime in with their weights.

According to FCCC and the Escapees, the correct technical term for these weights is 'screwy'! :-*

If all six scales aren't perfectly flat "screwy" results can happen. Looks like your right rear dual was on a bit of a bump. I'm always amazed when folks quote individual wheel weights. The smallest of bumps can really though the weights off.

There were only 2 scales on a pad built for the process. From front to tag, the scales didn't move so any error in them would be constant. It's hard to conceive how they could have opposing errors without moving them.  These folks have weighed many, many rigs. Since there was nothing extraordinary about my rig, I am taking then at their word. I don't think the problem is with the scales. Also, I would be willing to forgive a few hundred pounds either way, but not the thousands they reported.

Am I missing something?

ennored said:
..I'm always amazed when folks quote individual wheel weights...
I have no definitive empirical evidence one way or the other but we had RVSafety do a four corner weigh and it seemed to be accurate.  I know commercial enforcement troopers and state police carry portable scales and will sometimes weigh trucks they pull over.  Perhaps the accuracy is somewhat dependent on operator skill.

I would go for a re-weigh to validate the results.

While not a Winnebago, we are a 42'er on the same chassis as you and for comparison my Smart Weigh numbers from Livingston were:

Left    Right
Front    6230    6200
Rear    7350    8750
Tag      3680    3300

We have a curbside kitchen with residential refer. While I would expect my kitchen side to be heavier, my numbers are also interesting. Still puzzling?

Kim

Well I have a 42AD and have the weights that were done at Gaffeny after adjusting my tag air pressure...
LF 7080
RF 6840
LR 7568
RR 9808
LRT 3608
RRT 3348

72000 miles later all is good.

Ahh, only two scales. In that case the ground around them would have to be perfectly flat.

And I should clarify that the perfectly flat part is to get accurate individual weights. Total weight will still be correct, it has to be, unless physics have failed us. in the case of a 4 wheel weigh, it's like a four legged stool, unless the floor is flat, the stool will sit on three legs. Add a tag axle, and it gets trickier. Add airbags and it gets trickier yet. Have to start with flat scales!

BUT, it also looks like a 42AD has some pretty disparate weights on the axles. Five2o, did the folks in Gaffney have and comments on the drive axle weights? Did they adjust anything?

The weights I listed were after they adjusted the tag ...all are fine and my point was I have driven 70000 miles with those weights and all is fine...not sure why you might think a problem exists? My motorhome is not Karl Wallenda ^^.

Five2o said:
Well I have a 42AD and have the weights that were done at Gaffeny after adjusting my tag air pressure...
LF 7080
RF 6840
LR 7568
RR 9808
LRT 3608
RRT 3348

72000 miles later all is good.

Curiously, your left to right differences are the same as mine, including the left tag and right rears being heavier than the other side. It seems that if I can get the tag adjusted, my weights will be similar to yours. I will then proceed to put whole lot of miles on it. :p

ennored said:
Ahh, only two scales. In that case the ground around them would have to be perfectly flat.

And I should clarify that the perfectly flat part is to get accurate individual weights. Total weight will still be correct, it has to be, unless physics have failed us. in the case of a 4 wheel weigh, it's like a four legged stool, unless the floor is flat, the stool will sit on three legs. Add a tag axle, and it gets trickier. Add airbags and it gets trickier yet. Have to start with flat scales!

BUT, it also looks like a 42AD has some pretty disparate weights on the axles. Five2o, did the folks in Gaffney have and comments on the drive axle weights? Did they adjust anything?

I get what you're saying, but considering the extreme weight issues, I don't think I would suspect the scales first. Especially after the weights were similar to the initial weights. Even if the pad that was specifically built for weighing was off a couple of degrees, it would only explain a couple of hundred pounds at the most.

So, I finished with the dealer yesterday. They replaced the tag axle proportioning valve. I then weighed the coach. It was worse that the original weights. There was 800 pounds more on the front and 2000 pounds more on the tag. After three more adjustments, everyone was happy. The final results are:

Front-13900
Drive-16880
Tag-6800

Since nothing was done about left to right, I assume the difference is still there, but at least all the wheels appear to be under the maximum weights and I probably won't be spinning out on wet pavement or gravel. When we're in AZ in January, I'll go through Smartweigh again.

Hmm...my coach is 300lb heavier than yours....I think I forgot to remove the beer before hitting the scales!

Do you have the same one? Do you have individual wheel weights? Care to share?

I have a similar weight distribution on my 42' Allure.  No axle is overweight (front is at max) but the weights on the right side of the drive axle and tag were noticeably higher than the left (sorry, but don't have the weights with me now).  I thought it was odd.  I have residential refer midships on driver's side, galley-bath-battery/inverter on right side....along with big hydraulic fluid reservoir and coolant expansion tank.  Coach handles fine and since no axle is overweight and no individual axle end exceeds the tire load capacity, I don't worry about it. 

I do plan to have the folks at CC in Oregon check everything over next year when we can finally get that far West  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom