Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: BRAVE SE 29' winterizing  (Read 4190 times)

tdietz18d

• ---
BRAVE SE 29' winterizing
« on: November 20, 2013, 06:17:55 AM »
I have a 2000 Winnebago Brave SE 29' Class A motorhome.  And I'm trying to Winterize.  My issue is, when I put the antifreeze bottle in the tube and turn the pump on, it runs out of an overflow behind the passenger side rear tire.  Please help!  I've switched the valves every which way with no luck.  As soon as I turn the pump on the antifreeze is pumping out the vent under the motorhome.  HELP PLEASE!

John Hilley

• ---
Re: BRAVE SE 29' winterizing
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:02:56 AM »
It must be going out the water tank drain. It might be the hot water check valve in the water heater. How much does it take out of the anti freeze bottle before you see it coming out?

Here is the plumbing diagram
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2000/00_f29a_plumb.pdf
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
605 watts of Solar
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Diesel AWD
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:09:36 AM »
If it was the water heater plumbing, it would leak any time the system was pressurized, e.g. pump on. Does it leak out if the bottle is removed and pump on?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

tdietz18d

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »
Guys thanks for the reply.  It leaks as soon as I turn the pump on with the hose in it.  It doesn't take out much probably 1/8th of a bottle and then it is streaming out.

tdietz18d

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 11:34:12 AM »
Gary, sorry yes, it leaks out then as well.  the weird part is, if I put the hose in the bottle and turn the pump on it leaks out but never even makes it to the pump.  I can tell since the antifreeze is pink and the lines are fairly clear.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:06:25 PM »
Make sure your city water fill valve is in the "use" rather than "fill" position. In the typical RV water system layout, if the pump is on and the city fill valve is in the fill position, pump output goes right back toward the tank.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

tdietz18d

• ---
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 07:35:21 AM »
Gary,

I'll check but, I'm not sure I have a city water fill valve?  If I do where might it be located.  I have a hot water bi-pass under the kitchen sink.  I have to hot water drain valves in front of the hot water heater. 

Then in the back under my bathroom sink and next two the water pump I have 3 shut offs.  I'm assuming one of these under the bathroom sink is my city water fill valve.

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »
The City Water Fill valve should be in the outside water bay near the hose connection.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
605 watts of Solar
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Diesel AWD
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 08:39:26 AM »
How do you add water to the fresh tank? If it is only done by a gravity feed filler port and not via the city water inlet, then you may not have a Fill Valve. If it is possible to fill the fresh tank via the City Water hose connection, then the valve will usually be quite close to the City Inlet.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

tdietz18d

• ---
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
I only have a gravity filler port.  My fresh water connection does not fill the water tank. 

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 04:36:53 PM »
OK, that rules out my idea about the fill valve being open.

Since the water runs out whether you are using the winterizing bottle or not, you need to forget the winterize question for the moment and find & fix the plumbing leak. Let's get back to basics. What is up under there where the water is coming from? Does it leak out when either pump or city water is in use? If the water heater is in that vicinity, is the leaking water hot or cold? Etc.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

tdietz18d

• ---
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 06:54:49 AM »
Gary,
No the hot water heater is on the opposite side of the Coach.  There are 3 drain ports where it is running out.  It is right below the Bathroom sink, which has the water pump shut off and two other shut off valves.  I plan on trying to switch the valves tonight.  I'm not sure which valves do what under there.  I know for sure the one is the shut off for the water pump but the other two i'm not sure of.  I do believe one of those to is probably my issue.

Thanks.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »
You should have two low point drain valves, for the hot and cold lines. That may be what you see.

You don't usually have a pump shut-off valve, but in your case there should be a diverter valve that changes the pump input from the tank to your winterizing inlet or bottle.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Garyk

• ---
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »
I am pretty sure our systems are a little different but just beyond my fresh water pump is a low point drain with a valve
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
2013 JEEP WRANGLER

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
By definition the low point drains needs to be in the physically lowest part of the water system, and that location often varies by year/make/model and even floor plan.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

tdietz18d

• ---
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »
All thank for the help.  I decided the best thing to do was, take a bucket put it under the tubes that are overflows turn my faucet on and then the pump.  I was able to get antifreeze from everywhere, but it would also just dump antifreeze out the overflows into the bucket.  So I was able to just continue to recycle the antifreeze.

I'll worry more about it in the spring when we de-winterize.

Thanks again!

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 07:36:43 AM »
Glad you got the pink stuff installed!
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather