RV friendly gas stations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVPuppy

I am planning my winter trip and I am trying to figure out where to gas up along the way.  We own a 28' gasoline powered Winnebago and a toad. Gassing up can be difficult in some gas stations because the aisles are laid out so that you have to turn in front of the store where other customers park.  My favorite type of station is the type where the lanes are parallel to the road way and the store so that you drive in and out without that tight corner in front of the store.

To do my planning, I found some useful sites:  The planner on the Good Sam site powered by Rand McNally is pretty good at figuring out where the Flying J stops are. However, their Pilot stations have pumps that are not RV Friendly.  I double check the layout of the gas station using Google Maps sat view.  In areas where Flying J isn't so popular, I switch to Gas Buddy to price my gas but also, where users upload photos of the gas station. Sometimes, they take meaningful photos that show the gas lanes.  I enter the address found in Gas Buddy into the Good Sam trip planner and move on to the next destination.

BTW, If you use the Gas Buddy app while you travel: Update the picture of the gas station to make it meaningful for RVs : ;) I know I will for sure because they are very useful.

Has anyone figured out a better work flow?  Is there a web site out there that has it all in one place?

You are pretty much doing what others are doing here also. There are a lot of different opinions of course on the truck stops but I use gas buddy also. I usually fill my diesel at the local stations even when pulling the toad simply because it is more convenient for me and it saves a bit over the truck stops. It just takes some practice ?seeing? your way through before you pull in. If you get to where you can?t find a station you are comfortable with then unhook the toad when you stop for the night and go fuel in the am when you leave. After fueling then hook up the toad and you?re off again. I usually fuel around ? tank and have never been in a place I couldn?t find a station to pull in at just heading for my CG for the night. You will get a lot more opinions here, just find what makes you comfortable and enjoy. Welcome to the forum also.

We have never had a problem.  Certainly, you need to eye-ball a place prior to turning in to a gas station.  Failure to do this can result in un-hooking the toad so that you can back-up.  Flying Js and  Loves always work.

Some of the Flying J stations have newer pumps that run much faster. However, if you get one of the older pumps expect to be there a while.

What works for us is using our GPS. I just click on truck stops along our journey and it guides us right there. Usually no problem getting close to the fuel pumps. If no truck stops close by then I will click on service stations. Really worth it to purchase a good GPS.

Bill

I have never done much planning a head for fuel. I just take it as it comes and don't worry about it, there is always a place to fuel or gas up. We just don't let the tank get low enough that we get into a jam. Lately the wife uses the book "The next exit" and it has worked well for us.
That is just our way. I want to enjoy the trip and not worry about things

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom