Stuck in Austin TX, going to Phoenix AZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobcat12

On our way to Phoenix for Thanksgiving. Due to weather forecast of high winds and freezing rain we detoured further south to Austin. Now more cold and freezing rain forecast. Are we being too cautious? We are in our first year of RVing and didn't want to get into trouble. Any thoughts on how to decide when to stop or keep going? Not sure how to deal with the below freezing overnight.

You still have almost a week to get to Phoenix.  I think you did the right thing which is to hole up for a while until the weather improves.  That's exactly what we do.  If you're not comfortable driving in high winds and sleet then you're not being overly cautious.  Pay attention to the weather forecast a few days out, especially systems coming in from Mexico and the Pacific.  In the southwest we often get two colliding weather systems which are what causes the high winds.  When we're on the road I have several weather icons on my laptop that are for the towns we plan to go through and I check them each evening and the next morning if it looks dicey.  There also are local TV stations (use your crank-up over-the-air TV antenna) so you can hear what the locals have to say about oncoming weather systems.

Below freezing depends on how far below.  If it's like 28-30 degrees you should probably be okay but if it's down below that and includes freezing rain you might want to bring in any slideouts so they don't get frozen in place.  Also empty and bring in hoses that could freeze - or plan on bringing them inside frozen so they can thaw out the next day in the shower.  Inside we leave cupboard doors open at night so cabin warmth radiates into them and hopefully keeps pipes warm.  Some RV manufacturers place heating pipes toward the tanks to prevent their freezing.  You can set up a light bulb in a bay that has tanks.  I assume you're in a campground and can use electricity for keeping the RV warm inside.  When it's cold, propane furnaces have trouble keeping up so you can run out of propane fairly quickly.  Keep an eye on your propane level.  Many of us use small electric heaters to help, for example we use one called "Big Heat" that is small and stores easily but does a terrific job of providing heat.

ArdraF

We're about 70 miles SW of Austin and while lows are predicted to be in the low 30s for the next week, there are no freeze warnings out, yet.  If you haven't already figured it out, when you leave Austin take US290 west through Johnson City and Fredericksburg to I-10 west of Kerrville and save a lot of miles.  If you have the time, a day or two in Fredericksburg would be worth your while to visit the National Museum of the Pacific War.

As you are heading west to AZ you'll be going up in elevation so it is going to be colder until you're west of Tucson. It's not a bad drive and no winding roads but you are going over the Continental divide.
Also, since this is you're first trip that way, I assuming, you'll want to watch your fuel as stations are few and far between.
After Fort Stockton,  they get slim.  I believe that there is a Pilot at Van Horn.  so if anyone been through there recently at that they can verify that for you.  Once you get near El Paso stations are more plentiful.

Thanks, good things to know! We were able to stay at the Austin campground until Monday am, luckily there was a cancellation allowing us it stay put. We plan to head to Fort Stockton on Monday. I guess opening at austin campgrounds are hard to find today. We are staying at Oak Forest RV Park, very nice site, lots of room to walk the pups.

Please be very cautious with precip and freezing temperatures in west Texas. The highways can be very dangerous freezing rain is the worst (black ice). Hope the temp warms and the sun comes out. I know we have a second wave coming Sunday night and Monday morning here in north Texas.

Thanks, if the weather does not clear we will he'd to San Antonio then Houston and skip Phoenix. I hate to miss my family dinner but safety is more important!

I think the forecast has it clearing by Tuesday. You still may have time to make it, but I think you are making a wise decision staying put and waiting this front out. Good luck..

bobcat12 said:
Are we being too cautious? We are in our first year of RVing and didn't want to get into trouble. Any thoughts on how to decide when to stop or keep going? Not sure how to deal with the below freezing overnight.

In my opinion, you can never been too cautious.  It's always best to stay put, if you can.  One of the best aspects of RV'ing is the ability to move around and avoid weather.  Second to that, the lifestyle also allows that you don't have to go anywhere if you are in a safe place!

We are at the KOA in San Antonio, decided we would make Phoenix another day! Long forecast shows another front, so next time we will plan a fall trip to Phoenix! Decided to stay here thru Thanksgiving and going to see the Spurs play! One item off my bucket list! :D

There you go.  That's called making lemonade out of lemons!

ArdraF

[[/quote]
San
bobcat12 said:
We are at the KOA in San Antonio, decided we would make Phoenix another day! Long forecast shows another front, so next time we will plan a fall trip to Phoenix! Decided to stay here thru Thanksgiving and going to see the Spurs play! One item off my bucket list! :D

Stop at the Buckhorn Saloon and have a cold one and plan on checking out the museum.
It is one amazing place  http://buckhornmuseum.com/
Riverwalk is pretty neat too.

The West Texas/New Mexico weather sure looks rough at the moment. :-\

Stay put until Tuesday.

We've had snow (albeit a small amount) in El Paso the last couple of days.  The roads have pretty much thawed out now, but they were dicey yesterday, and there are still patches of ice. Monday never got over 33 degrees the entire day. The stretch of I-10 from here to Tucson can get nasty, so best to wait it out until things warm up.  The I-25 corridor to ABQ is very treacherous right now....anyone wanting to go that way, wait until later in the week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom