North to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wi1dBill

Just got on the list for 2015 to pick up a new Class C Winnebago at the factory and deliver it to Anchorage, Alaska and then spend a couple of weeks in it as a rental  touring.  Currently planning on 4 weeks. Leaving from the  Winnebago factory mid May with 11 to 14 days to get to Anchorage and then 14 days traveling around the state.  Then flying home or if I can find a train trip....

So, we are just in the every early planning stages. Suggestions of places along the way and what not to miss.
Comments from anyone that has done this...

First thing to do is to get a copy of "The Mile Post". This will give you a great break down of all the major roads and the businesses and points of interest along the way. I could tell you many things that you could and should not do while traveling. However, there are several people on this forum that have traveled more than I. Best to check the forum library.

I have been all over the US and Canada...this was the best trip ever.

That sounds great, put me on that list... You will enjoy Alaska.... Wishing we could take your place

Great trip although you will get snow so be prepared. You will also need industrial strength bug dope.

Bill, there are several good recent blogs here on the forum in the Trip, and Journal section of people that have made the Alaska trip and thoroughly documented it. Very good info!  rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/board,17.0.html

Alaska is truly a beautiful place, but the Alaska Highway in some places is like driving on a washboard. Be prepared for very rough roads. The upside is that the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. There is an abundance of wild animals like moose, bears, buffalo and mountain goats. There is snow on the ground in some places year round and you'll be wearing winter clothing in June and July. Oh, and during the spring/summer months it never gets dark. We liked the Alaska trip so much that we're doing it again in 2015.

Traveled the ALCAN many times beginning when it was all gravel.  Yes "mile post" is great.  Want to keep the bugs off your rig?  Spray the front  with PAM vegetable oil before you hit the road and they wash off sooooooo easy!

Want to keep the bugs off your rig?  Spray the front  with PAM vegetable oil before you hit the road and they wash off sooooooo easy!

Not in Florida in the summer.  It took many hours to get them off!

ArdraF

Wi1dBill said:
if I can find a train trip....

I returned from Alaska via ferry and train once and it was a fantastic trip...got on the Ferry in Ketchikan to Prince Rupert (overnight trip) - arrived Prince Rupert very early am and checked in a hotel then the next morning boarded the SKEENA on VIA Canadian Rail - took the train all day to Prince George where we disembarked and checked in a hotel, next morning boarded the same train to Jasper there you can switch trains and take the transcanadian all the way to Toronto and any place in between or beyond.

It is an amazing journey and one that should not be missed...try to make it happen.

Good Luck,

Jim

Just be aware there is no Rail connection to/from Alaska.  Only options are drive, fly, or combination drive/ferry.  You could fly to Seattle and take Rail from there.  Within Alaska, the Alaska Railroad has some spectacular routes - Anchorage down to Seward, or Anchorage up to Denali.

Thanks for the tips on the ferry and rail service.. I'll check them out.  I would just hate to miss all of that scenic country side by flying over it, seems like such a waste.

Wi1dBill

I've driven the Alaska Highway on at least 6 round trips.  Take your time, and the road won't be a big issue, except for the washboard that you are BOUND to run into at several points.

In BC, make absolutely certain to visit Lliard Hot Springs.  If you can get there when it is NOT tourist season, all the better.  I understand that since I left AK, there are a lot fewer vehicles on the road, but I wouldn't let that stop you.

When you are in the Yukon Territory, make certain you have waders, bear spray, and a fly rod.  At ANY given spot, if you walk a mile up the stream, you will catch more Grayling than you will know what to do with...only vying with the bears for those fish.  Anything under a mile has been fished out long before you got there.

Lake Kluane is one of my favorite all time beautiful spots.  Also...Lake Muncho is a definite must-stop.

In 1979, we drove down the highway from Fbnks to Minneapolis, and there was a 1 week stretch where we drove no more than 50 miles per day...had to stop at numerous camping sites...just to see them! 

The suggestion for buying the Milepost is a must...no matter how you are travelling the road.  The trip itself can be done in 3-4 days...but the best time I ever had was when I took 3 weeks to make the trip!

BTW, make sure you visit Chena Hot Springs when you hit Fairbanks.  Fairbanks is also, by the way, one of the best bicycle touring cities on the North American Continent.

If you are interested in staying in a B&B in Fairbanks, let me know.  I have a friend who runs the prettiest one you've ever seen up on Farmer's Loop Road.

Finally...if driving an RV, it is advisable to take the AK Ferry at least one way.  That is a trip not to be missed.

-Kurt-

We are planning an Alaska trip this year.  Last time we drove it was in 1962.  I would highly recommend you buy the "Traveler's Guide To Alaskan Camping" by Mike and Terri Church.  The Milepost is great, but I think you will use this book much more.

We drove the RV to Alaska in 2001 and have wanted to go again since that time. Funny story: We had bought two cans of mosquito spray before we left for Alaska and continue to use those cans of spray for 10 years. On our way up we were camping in Washington state when a older couple came over and showed us their supply of mosquito spray. They had bought two large cans but were worried so they had bought a case of 12 large cans (Total of 14 cans).  They ask if we thought if they should buy 12 more cans. Mosquito are bad in Alaska, but not that bad.

Sometimes it pays to think positive. Mosquitoes love blood. Mind you they also can be detrimental.  Which path would you take ?

Bloodletting was pretty common in days of yore.   

>>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom