Advice on 5er or MH for FT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pjoe

Hi all. DW and i have made the decision to go FT in 3 years when I retire. We currently have a 32' Winnie Brave. For those of you that have owned both, which is better for FT, a 5th wheel or a motorhome? Storage? Living? Driving? I have no trouble backing the MH but can I expect the same for a 5th wheel? We have a few years to get ready but I know we will want to upgrade if for nothing more than a diesel to better handle the mountains out west. Any thoughts from the "veterans" here would be greatly appriciated. What do we need to look for and consider for our next RV? We plan on attending the RV show in Atlanta in January to gather more info.  Thanks for any and all replies.

Bill

I have not owned a 5er, but I will put my 2 cents worth in.

5ers provide a lot of room and are great for lengthy stays in one place.  but once you are there you have a big truck to dive where ever you go.

MHs can also have lots of room and lots of storage.  You can take along any size vehicle you wish.  MHs are most convenient if you want to stop and have lunch just about anywhere. 

I have thought long and hard about this and still up in the air, right now I am fulltiming in a very small 5th wheel and while shopping for a bigger truck and a slightly bigger 5th wheel I am torn between looking for a MH and a nice Jeep to tow....

My problem is having two drive-trains to worry about and maintain on a limited budget....I guess my ideal rig would be a 30-34 foot diesel MH with a nice Jeep Wrangler for a toad and my off road adventures....

But my 5 er and my 4 Wheel drive pick-up works fine as well. Just want something a little bigger - I am looking very hard at a 24-28 foot 5th wheel and a Ford F-250 or GM 2500 or Dodge 2500. 4 wheel drive.

I guess it is as tough a decision for you as it is for me....I need more floor space and more storage which either would give me, cash investment would be more for the MH and Jeep. Which would be my limiting factor.

Good Luck - Floorplan and storage should be your primary consideration. MH are easier to back in but with some practice it can be just as easy with a 5th wheel.

Jim

IMHO it really all boils down to two simple things.
First, Do you plan to drive a lot and move every couple of days? Yes, a MH is far better.  NO, then a fiver is better.
Second, money.

I think Donn boiled it down to the basics.

"Better" depends on how you plan to use it and your personal preferences. There are differences that can (and surely will) be cited, but they all end up being a personal choice by you. For example, when you arrive, are you ok with driving a largish truck around, or would you prefer a smaller car or maybe an off-road vehicle?

Great questions, Bill. I have not owned a MH, but I can answer one thing:
Backing the 5th wheel into a tight area will take some practice and patience, when compared to a MH.

Have had both and I would say if traveling a lot the MH is the way to go with a toad of choice, any long term stays as a normal thing the 5th wheel is the way to go. But the bottom line is what are you comfortable with.

I have owned both.  I agree with the simple answers given by those who also have owned both rigs.  MH for comfortable riding, getting up to get a beverage, taking a nap, going to the bathroom, height of the driver to see better, hydraulic levelers, etc.  5W for less money, less maintenance issues, a tad bit better fuel economy, and more practical for long term stays since you lose 3-4 feet of living space from the drivers compartment in a MH. 

Pjoe, you might be interested in the following explanation of one of our members, Sarge, who just recently moved from a motorhome to a fifth wheel and now back to a motorhome.  He provides the reasons why he prefers motorhomes for fulltiming.  Look in the RVing message boards ? General Discussion ? What was I thinking?!?! Another new rig this year?!?!?!?!?!

ArdraF

This certainly seems to be a common dilemma, my DH and I are trying to make the same decision.  The most he's ever towed is a pop up and that was years ago.  I am anxious to get to the RV show this month to really have a good prowl around a lot of different types.  It's a big decision, with a lot of money involved, as we plan to FT for a good few years, renting our house at first and then selling it.  I wish there was some really simple way to make the choice.  This forum is a great resource.  Thanks.

We were very close to buying a fiver but when we saw one with all slides in, we changed our minds and bought a motor home. After 3 years, we are satisfied with our decision because we like to fix lunch, use the rest room, and rest during our daily travels. I agree with the post that said if you move every few days, go with a motor home. If you plan to stay for a few weeks, a fiver may be the way to go. There is no right or perfect decision, just the one that is best for your lifestyle.

Easier said than done. I've rented a motor home. They're everywhere, but I haven't seen a fifth wheel for rent. Most of us would need to rent a truck as well. There is somebody around here that rents TT, but you have to a truck and hitch.

Back
Top Bottom