Basement Air-AC #1 & AC #2 Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winnie32v

2001 Adventurer 32V w/ Basement air.

I am at a 30 amp shore plug so I can't have both compressors (AC #1 & AC #2) on at the same time.

Question"\:  I currently have the AC #2 Compressor breaker "OFF".
So my air uses only AC #1 Compressor.

Can I shut off the breaker #1 and turn on the breaker #2 and not screw anything up???

I would like to "exercise" compressor #2 but don't want to cause a problem with the internal electronics.

Please advise if you have done this OR if you see any problems with doing this.

Thanks for your time.

Set you E.M.S. to 30 amps and you should be able to run both compressors but not much else in the coach.  Spent the last G.N.R. I attended doing just that.  Someone talked our club into the 30 amp section (before they did the total grounds conversion).  You should see the start up draw on the second compressor top out around 28 amps.

Mine is wired so that when I turn off the breaker for compressor 2, I run only compressor 1.  I run like that often.  Mine is not wired to exercise Compressor 2 as the fan is run to that breaker.  ::)

I am under the impression that there is no need to turn off the Compressor #2 breaker on your coach. I think you have an EMS system that will handle the overload, if any. If you have enough amps available to start the second compressor, you should be able to run both on about 24 amps. The problem is the start-up load on the second compressor - you will very briefly exceed 30A. And you can't have the fridge and water heater on electric at the same time.

If you turn of #1, the worst thing that can happen is that neither a/c runs. Give it a try.

Not sure if you have an Energy Management System or not.  If you have an EMS, there is no need to manually manage the second compressor.  If you don't have an EMS, I would run that question by RVP, however I'm in Gary's camp - if you want to or need to manually manage the compressors, give it a try.

Looking at the wiring diagram for the 30a shore line....It looks to me that the AC#2 does not go through the EMS.  So, possibly the EMS does not pick up the added amps when the AC#2 kicks on.
Thus, is this why it was tripping the breaker at the post....not being shed by the EMS???

Removed the Breaker panel cover and found that the amprobe does not pick up the draw from the AC#2, so I don't know how this could register on the EMS.

Please let me know what you think of this.
Thanks.

As indicated, both compressors will operate fine on apx 24a. You need to run the water heater on lp, and if you also run the refrigerator on lp you should have no problems unless you need to run the microwave. When we need the microwave I turn off the breaker for #2, run the microwave, then turn the breaker back on. Yes, the ems will abnormally shed #2 when it sees the demand for more amps than are available, but we have tripped the shore power breaker a time or two before the ems did its job. It is easy to just kill #2 myself and know everything will be fine.

On my coach, #2 will NOT start unless #1 is running.

Just an update....
EMS Shedder is working fine.  Had two electric heaters on this morning and the EMS shed the water heater.
So, I believe the EMS must be working OK.

From the previous post, I guess I won't be able to exercise the AC#2 like I wanted.
I do have all other appliances on electric so I expect that tripping the breaker at the pole is not unusual when the AC#2 kicks on.

Thanks for the replies and real world experiences.

Now that you have that problem solved, I have the short answer for you. If your unit is wired like mine ...No...the control transformer and fans come off of #l breaker.

catblaster said:
Now that you have that problem solved, I have the short answer for you. If your unit is wired like mine ...No...the control transformer and fans come off of #l breaker.

Just checked the wiring diagram for my 30a system.  The only thing yhat is shown coming from the #1 circuit is the AC #1 Compressor.

winnie32v said:
Just checked the wiring diagram for my 30a system.  The only thing yhat is shown coming from the #1 circuit is the AC #1 Compressor.

That seems odd...but then I rewired mine to get rid of the circuit board so I must have taken it to #1....still seems odd...It does seem like a good idea in a way, you could do as you wanted and exercise #2 compressor

As soon as it is back up in the 80's, I'll try to turn off the AC#1 and turn on the AC#2 breaker and see if the #2 compressor kicks on.

Will update this forum as soon as I try it.

Here is a link to the manufacturer of the basement heat-pump.  There, you can download all kinds of information about your specific unit.

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/tech_info/

My 2002 Adventurer has the model 6535-771 (Tecumseh compressors), but your model heatpump unit might be different.  Just use the drop down arrow box to find your exact unit, then download all of the information about it.  Quick and easy.  I would post some as attachments, but they are too large for the forum guidelines.

I have downloaded all my units info, and actually printed the information into brochures to carry in the RV at all times.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom