My new hearing aids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Turn the volume down!!!

Several weeks ago I visited a Costco Hearing Center, checked out their products, and requested a hearing test. The gal looked in my ears and said "one ear is completely blocked and the other is 50% blocked, so I can't run the test".

I used an OTC "ear wax remover" and, when I was at my regular doctor a week or so ago, I asked him to "look in my ears". The blockages were still there, and he broke out his flush/vacuum system. Five (or ten) minutes later, he decided he couldn't remove it, and referred me to an ENT doc.

Today I visited the ENT doc, who I'd previously visited for inflamed vocal cords. He said "I know this story" and produced a long "tool". He then pronounced "it's a boy!", and showed me the huge wax ball he'd removed. He then went to the other ear, removed a wax ball and added suction.

When he was done, I requested a hearing test, which was quite interesting. When it was done, the doc was confused by the results; One set of numbers (and a graph) said my hearing was very good, but a secondary set of numbers said there was an issue. He recommended further testing, and I have an  appointment with an audiologist (in the same office) next week.

When I arrived home with my newly-cleared ears, I couldn't wait to check things out. The TV volume is definitely lower. I got out several ukuleles, played and sang, but there's not a discernable difference. I'll be interested to see how my next 'public' singing performance will sound next week. I don't normally practice for vocal (non-instrumental) events, but I might drag out the sound system ahead of time to see (hear) how it sounds.

Sounds like good news.  Ever see thoughs pics of people eating really hot chilly powder, you know...steam coming out their ears???  Maybe you need to be on the once a week chilly powder plan.
::)

LOL When the chili melts my ear wax I know to quit. I am getting used to my Siemens but find myself constantly checking to make sure the probes have not fallen out. The amplifiers also tend to fall off when I lean forward, they don't seat well with my glasses.
Ambient noise is my biggest concern. I can turn down the left one to control background noise but find it easier to just remove the aid. The right control fine tunes both for conversation. I have to remember to remove them coming into the house, the dog's greeting nearly blows my brains out.

Roy, you listed several of my concerns about wearing hearing aids. I wear glasses, have two 'welcoming' dogs, live on the water, boat and fish (hearing aids probably don't float well).

Depending on the results of the next test, I might just continue to put up with the issues I've lived with for the last 45 years. I learned a long time ago to stay away from noisy restaurants and loud, obnoxious music, which eliminates most of the problems.

My hearing aids came with 5 different sized ear canal plugs. When I got them I tried three of the different sizes  and I liked number 4 the best. When the ear plug fits properly there is no chance of it falling out accidentally and you can hear much better since it eliminates the environmental sounds from entering your ear. I used to worry about a hearing aid falling out and going into the black tank when I would take a leak and flush. But after three months of wearing them I realize it isn't going to happen. It sounds like RoyM needs to get a better fit.

I'm not concerned about the in-ear plugs falling out; I'm more concerned about Roy's comment re the amp not fitting well behind the ear with his glasses, and falling off.

If the in ear plug is right then the amp won't fall off. I wear glasses and there is no problem with the glasses interfering with the hearing aids.

Having seen the "flat line" response of one ear, and nearly the same response of the other, I'm cooling on the idea of hearing aids. I spend a lot of time in, on and around water, and have been known to take my glasses off while "in mid air" (forgot to take them off before heading into the water). I also wear Croakies for the unintentional dunk in the water.

I'll make a decision after further testing and meeting with an audiologist next week.

My biggest adjustment problem was the "noise".  I had become used to living in a very quite world and with the aids now I could hear cars outside our home or when it was windy out.  I started out with the default volume turned down a few clicks and after a year or so had them turned up some.  I also concluded from my readings that the best plan of attack was to when I got them to wear them as close to 100% of the time as I could.  That got me broken in to them.  I also wear glasses and the most difficult part was - and is - breaking my routine of putting my glasses on first and then the hearing aids.  When I bread down and put the aids on first it goes much easier.  Then I slip the glasses on.  I have had mine for 3+ years now, the glasses vs aids only problem I have had is the top of my ears where everything seats has gotton sore 2-3 times over that period but only for a day or two.  I take the aid off for a day or so to give my ears a rest.

Good luck Tom.

PS:  I lost one once while trimming an apple tree.  A branch I was trimming brushed against my ear and sent one into the 4th dimension never to be seen again.  Even with 4 guys looks for several hours for it.  The good news was that Costco replaced it for free since I was still in the 3 year warranty window.

Thanks Len.

I lost one once while trimming an apple tree...The good news was that Costco replaced it for free since I was still in the 3 year warranty window.

Sounds like the kind of warranty I'd need  :-[

Sounds like the kind of warranty I'd need

Tom, can you resend that message in large bold letters, please; having a bit of trouble understanding you.

Note: it's supposed to be funny, not mean spirited...  ;D

Finally got around to scheduling a hearing test.  Got about as far as Tom.  Was told to have an ENT look at my ears, de-wax them and then reschedule.  ;D  Being a bit of a do it yourselfer I thought I'd do what Tom did.  But after doing some research and realizing there are risks associated with removing the wax, I decided to contact Kaiser.   

It is best to have a real doctor clean out your ears first. Then after they have been cleaned you can use the store bought ear cleaners once a month or so to keep the wax from building up again. The reason you need a real doctor is he has one of those doo dads that can light up the inside of your ear canal so the doc can watch the process. You just can't do that yourself. I had to have my ears cleaned out before I got my hearing aids. It had been about 5 years since I had it done. That alone made an amazing difference in my hearing.

I refused to get my aids for years because I thought they would make every thing louder. A good pair of aids don't do that. At least mine don't. They just make it so I can hear the frequency that I couldn't hear before. The Miracle Ear aids I had before seemed to be a lot more noisy in restaurants ect, but the Phonak ones I have now is really good. I can actually hear what they are saying the next table over if I want to. The part that is on the outside of the ear is very small and stays put, pretty much, then the receiver, speaker is on a small wire that is in the canal. My glasses don't bother them at all, don't even touch them. When I'm home by myself I don't even wear them, but put them in when the DW gets home from work. I retired in Feb, but she still has 8 1/2 years to go. Yep I married a youngin  second time around ;D ;D. When ever I leave the house I have them in, don't really understand everything people say without them. Do a lot of research on aids before you buy, there are a lot of differences in aids.

They just make it so I can hear the frequency that I couldn't hear before

That is what mine do, I could not hear the alarm on my coffee maker to let me know it was done.  Without themon, I cannot hear the beep (high tone)

This is why they require a sound test before fitting you with a hearing aid. With a sound test they can find out what you cannot hear and fit you with hearing aids that match.

There are devices that only amplify the sound and they are not as good as a hearing aid. Much cheaper but not as effective.

I am blow away that this thread had made it to five pages so soon. I guess I am not the only one with hearing problems. I am glad this thread has encouraged a few people to get their hearing tested. For some reason men just don't want to talk about a hearing problem. Women are luckier. Women have better high frequency hearing than men so it is rare to see a woman with a hearing aid.

Back
Top Bottom