My new hearing aids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As unbelievably stupid smoking you would think it would be a snap to convince smokers to quit. But addiction is a really bad thing. That is why I have tried to eliminate all addictions from my life. Not easy considering I have an addictive personality.

SeilerBird said:
As unbelievably stupid smoking you would think it would be a snap to convince smokers to quit. But addiction is a really bad thing. That is why I have tried to eliminate all addictions from my life. Not easy considering I have an addictive personality.

I quit smoking on April 15, 2000 in the afternoon...after having smoked for 35 years. I too am trying to eliminate addictions from my life, defined as anything that does not promote happiness in my life. 

Tom, on another note that package will be out in Thursday's mail, I have to go to the Post Office anyway so I'll brave the lines...as much as I detest lines.

John - Did you know you don't have to go to the post office? If you have a scale you can weight it at home, buy the postage online, print out the postage and leave it in your mailbox. If you don't have a scale you can get one at Walmart for $10 or so and never stand in line again.

SeilerBird said:
John - Did you know you don't have to go to the post office? If you have a scale you can weight it at home, buy the postage online, print out the postage and leave it in your mailbox. If you don't have a scale you can get one at Walmart for $10 or so and never stand in line again.

Tom,
I actually never thought about it as a DIY project...And I did not know about buying postage on line...I'll give it a try.

Oscar Mike said:
Tom,
I actually never thought about it as a DIY project...And I did not know about buying postage on line...I'll give it a try.
I have been selling used stuff online for years and the only reason I am able to do so is because I can mail stuff from home. So much easier, post offices are a hassle.

I want to thank all that have posted their experiences with hearing aids.  Your postings helped me get past my denial that has gone on for too many years.  32 years in a machine shop took its tole on my hearing.  I had my hearing tested by an audiologist a week before Christmas, ordered my hearing aids through my insurance provider and received them, supposedly tuned to match my audiogram the day before Christmas.  Mine are the BTE type with three different programs and five levels of amplification within each program.  I've tried very hard to become acclimated to them but still have problems with high noise areas such as restaurants and road noise while traveling.  I got a call from the hearing aid supplier to see how I was doing while we were returning from a family visit. We were in my wife's Honda Pilot at the time.  I had to admit that I had both hearing aids in my shirt pocket because the road noise was driving me nuts.  I can only imagine what it would be like towing our 5th wheel with my diesel dually.  They advised that I call them Monday to get help troubleshooting the problem. 

Again, I want to say a big THANKS for all that posted.  You convinced me to get the long overdue help with my hearing.

One tip I've found useful in noisy restaurants is to select or ask for a table close to a wall, so most of the noise is on one side of me only. I then turn the hearing aid on that side down a step or two, leaving the other side up for listening to my table companions. It's not a perfect solution, but it does help. For road noise, I just turn them both down at times, but as I've grown more accustomed to the new sounds, I find I'm doing that less often now.

BillB3857 said:
Again, I want to say a big THANKS for all that posted.  You convinced me to get the long overdue help with my hearing.
You are welcome. That was my whole point of posting this thread was to encourage other people to get a hearing aid if they need one. I don't know why us guys are so hard headed about  things like a hearing aid.

I think you probably have your current hearing aids set too loud to be comfortable. Good luck, keep us posted.

Terry's  aids came with a MUTE button.  At first I was insulted  but  now in high noise times like noisy restaurants he can just mute the sounds.  Sitting with back to wall helps.  Also he is now accustomed to the rattles in MH while traveling. They have been there all along  and I just turned up the music.  Now he hears the noise but is coping!

Interesting there are so many different types of hardware.
I have tiny front and back directional microphones. In a noisy restaurant I sit with my back to the noise, turn off the rear mikes and can hear the conversation in front of me.

I smoked four packs a day for 30+ years and quit cold turkey! (Went out drinking with my boss the next day.) Now I'm noticing I can't hear the phone with my right ear.  Does it ever end,  never mind, I suspect I know the answer to that one.
I really appreciate this thread for the info it has provided, but find it somewhat lacking in the area of cost. Ballpark $ would be appreciated.

Ernie

PS it was over 30 years ago that I did the turkey thing!

Ballpark $ would be appreciated.

Ernie, the Kirkland Signature product (a pair of Re-sound hearing aids) currently costs $1,800 in Costco. Equivalent Bernafon products, which are no longer labeled Kirkland Signature, cost approx $3,000 for a pair.

There really isn't a ballpark figure for hearing aids. My first ones were ten dollars apiece and I have seen them as high as $6000 per ear.

I think it's understood that prices are all over the map, but I think Ernie was asking for ballpark prices that folks paid or, in my case, expect to pay for their hearing aids. I gave him 'my' ballpark prices based on my recent visit to Costco.

The high tech hearing aids I have, have volume setting, and they have several different "program" settings, one for normal hearing, watching TV, listening to music, and crowded rooms, and so forth. They cost a bundle, I don't know exactly how much because they come to me from the Veterans Administration for service connected hearing loss. I would venture to guess these cost upwards of 7.5k and up for the pair.

hiHealth Innovations has BTE (Behind The Ear) programmable hearing aids for $799 to the public, and about half that or less for United Healthcare members. ITC (In The Canal) aids are about $200 more. You must submit an audiogram from a hearing professional to order, or visit one of their hearing centers.

Thanks for the info., you provided exctly what I was looking for. I may even get around to doing something one of these days.

Ernie

The hearing center I've been going to is a Phonak dealer. He has in the past sold others and does take care of the Miracle Ear customers, as our center has closed. Any ways he sold me a pair of Phonak Audeo BTE used ones for $1000.00, with new speakers. I think they are great, although I believe he has them set a bit too loud. New they would have been $3200.00 for the pair. I chose to have a volume control instead of different programs for different areas. If I go into a loud area I can just turn them down. These are blue tooth capable, remote controlled, if you wish. These are so small that most people don't even know I'm wearing them. The speaker wire is clear coated and it lays right in the crease in my ear. After I have them in for a bit every morning I can't even feel them in, but i sure can tell immediately if a battery dies. ;D ;D. When it comes time for me to replace I'll buy this brand again. I was very reluctant to buy this type, and thought I wanted an ITE aid, which I tried for about 10 days. I did have the best Miracle Ear aids made, ME1 ITE and these are much better. 

THANKS TOM!! for starting this thread. I knew I needed some but kept putting it off. Haven't driven the MH with them in yet, and it may drive me crazy, hearing all those squeaks and rattles, but at least now I can turn them DOWN. ;D ;D

Ernie n Tara said:
Thanks for the info., you provided exctly what I was looking for. I may even get around to doing something one of these days.

Ernie
Don't wait Ernie, if you know you need them. I can hear the snow crunch, and my jacket rustle now. Can't wait to hear the birds sing in the spring, haven't hear them in years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom