The epitome of capitalism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Molaker

I remember when most retailers were closed on Sunday.  That's long gone for most and now it's shopping on Thanksgiving Day.  Sigh...I'm getting too old, I guess. :(

Molaker said:
I remember when most retailers were closed on Sunday.  That's long gone for most and now it's shopping on Thanksgiving Day.  Sigh...I'm getting too old, I guess. :(
Capitalism isn't the problem
The only reason they we open is because people come....

If people don't shop, they won't be open

gc1966 said:
Capitalism isn't the problem
The only reason they we open is because people come....

If people don't shop, they won't be open
Well, basically, that is capitalism, doing business when the market will support it.  But, in my mind, just because the customers are there doesn't make it desireable.  If everyone working were doing so without being required, maybe.  But, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of employees that would rather be at home with family and friends.

Seems to me Thanksgiving Day parades were/are sponsored by Dept. stores.  "Bringing Santa Clause to town" and into their store.  It is just big box retailers cut into the old fashion Macy, Gimbels, Wannamakers etc.

I find it hard to fault retailers for doing what their customers want, and most of us want convenient shopping times, whether it be Sundays, holidays or late at night. Yeah, it is a market economy at work, i.e.capitalism., but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I like to vote with my feet - I go to the stores that I like, when I like. That's capitalism too. But I don't go shopping on Thanksgiving Day either. Whatever the incentive is, I enjoy my private time more. However, I am surfing the Black Friday deals, just in case...

An acquaintance who owns a restaurant opens for breakfast (buffet style) on Thanksgiving Day. He and his wife do it because there are two seasonal RV parks nearby and many of their morning customers are RVers who enjoy the camaraderie as well as the buffet. Once the breakfast buffet is over at noon, they close the restaurant for the rest of the day.  That's the kind of holiday spirit I like to see.

I don't really disagree, Gary.  Most all of us want to shop when we want to shop.  I just feel raiding the nearly last vestige of family fellowship might be a bridge too far.  I doubt if retailers doing so gain much in sales.  All they really have done is manage to move sales up one day.  But, they have managed to pull their employees away from a traditional gathering of friends and family.  To top it off, most of these participating retailers don't pay that well to start with, so paying 1-1/2 to work Thanksgiving (if they even do) is almost an insult.

We are such a diverse country, how many people do not even celebrate Thanksgiving?  Just another day....

Sign of the times. 

Merry Christmas

Not Happy Holidays

Happy Chanukah

Shoot... Let all the cops, Doctors and Nurses and Military stay home too.

This is America, if you don't like your job, quit and get a new one

The way I look at it is if you don't like the pay Quit!! My neighbor works for the largest retailer in the world and she volunteered to work today her reason being her husband was working and her kids live in another state plus she gets an extra 25% off  her already employee discount.By the way I worked for the same company and put 3 kids thru college. Life is good just make yourself and family happy! And no I was not a white collar employee.

Whit said:
The way I look at it is if you don't like the pay Quit!! My neighbor works for the largest retailer in the world and she volunteered to work today her reason being her husband was working and her kids live in another state plus she gets an extra 25% off  her already employee discount.By the way I worked for the same company and put 3 kids thru college. Life is good just make yourself and family happy! And no I was not a white collar employee.
And just how does that apply to those forced to work today?
Shoot... Let all the cop, Doctors and Nurses and Military stay home too
And every cops, doctor, nurse and G.I. knew going in what the job required.
We are such a diverse country, how many people do not even celebrate Thanksgiving?  Just another day...
Yes, you are right.  And what these retailers are doing goes a long ways in ensuring this for even those who do not wish to be so diverse.  These same retailers that work people part-time so they don't have to provide any benefits either.

Guess I'll not comment further as it seems obvious the responders here are certainly a part of the "diverse country" and appear to be satisfied with the status quo.  Just don't complain when companies move off shore to save money.  It's only business.  Just like opening on Thanksgiving, right?

Wow! Seems like an overreaction.

I, and I'm sure many others here, have voluntarily worked (even begged to work) holidays, including Christmas, to put food on the table.

Molaker said:
I don't really disagree, Gary.  Most all of us want to shop when we want to shop.  I just feel raiding the nearly last vestige of family fellowship might be a bridge too far.  I doubt if retailers doing so gain much in sales.  All they really have done is manage to move sales up one day.  But, they have managed to pull their employees away from a traditional gathering of friends and family.  To top it off, most of these participating retailers don't pay that well to start with, so paying 1-1/2 to work Thanksgiving (if they even do) is almost an insult.
I made double time + regular when I worked on a holiday.
"  I just feel raiding the nearly last vestige of family fellowship might be a bridge too far." Really?
Bill

Molaker said:
Well, basically, that is capitalism, doing business when the market will support it.  But, in my mind, just because the customers are there doesn't make it desireable.  If everyone working were doing so without being required, maybe.  But, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of employees that would rather be at home with family and friends.

I agree, and I've read what others have said.  Black Friday deals started around here at about 4:00 or so, and MY DW is out there. Just because some on those employees volunteered to work today, I'll bet there were far more that had no choise. Guess I'm an old fuddy duddy too.

I also made double time and a half when working holidays. I remember one Christmas 40 years ago when my supervisor called during my shift and told me that my relief would not be coming in. He gave me the choice of going home after my shift or working the second trick job, which ever I wanted. I worked it and received 40 hours pay for that day. I retired from that railroad in 2005 and as best I know the tracks are still in the good ole USA.

This is still the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA we all have choices, It all depends on what is important to the individual! I remember when I was a kid, dad and most everyone else was home from work around 4pm. and hardly anyone worked on the weekends except those poor old retailers, Times have changed and not necessarily for the best.

Tom

You are right OVER REACTION.... My comment was just a observation of the way this country is going.  Look at northern Virginia.  The demographics of the population.  I worked for the goverment for over 34 years, and we were 24/7.  Christmas was just another work day.  We swapped with each other for holidays off or shifts to be home with the family.  There is no need to be open on a holiday to sell a game boy or whatever.  Not a nessesity.  Fire, Police, EMS, nessesity.  Being open just to make money call it what you want, but I am willing to bet my pension that half of the people working tonight did not volunteer, or getting payed extra.  Like someone said "you are lucky you have a job". "you don't like it quit". 

Humbug!!!

Happy Thanksgiving, and a Very Merry Christmas

Happy Chanukah

Gary RV Roamer said:
An acquaintance who owns a restaurant opens for breakfast (buffet style) on Thanksgiving Day. He and his wife do it because there are two seasonal RV parks nearby and many of their morning customers are RVers who enjoy the camaraderie as well as the buffet. Once the breakfast buffet is over at noon, they close the restaurant for the rest of the day.  That's the kind of holiday spirit I like to see.
We went out to breakfast this morning at a local restaurant in our small town. They serve breakfast from 6-10 AM. Then they close until noon. At noon they reopen and serve Thanksgiving dinner for free to anyone who wants to come in. Now, THAT'S the kind of holiday spirit I like to see.

Like someone said "you are lucky you have a job".

Reminds me of when I quit the relative "security" of a high well-paid unionized job at a UK steel plant to join a non-unionized California company. Colleagues, friends and family thought I was nuts.

The new boss wore a tie tac in the shape of the company logo with a ruby in the middle, and explained "That's what you get after 5 years of service with the company and, after 10 years, you get one with a diamond in the middle". Someone commented that 10 years (or 5 years) was a long time to wait, and the boss explained "You get a plain one after 2 years". Someone asked what you get after 1 year and, quick as a flash, he said "you get down on your hands and knees and thank God you're still working for us".

Now that I am old, 75, I have to admit when I was young and worked 5 days a week and most stores closed at 5pm and only open on Friday nights and Saturday. Closed on Sunday.  it was pretty inconvenient for me to do much shopping. I kind of liked it when stores started staying open on Sunday and later during the week. Of course now that I am old and cranky and retired I kind of forget some people still have to work every day. They have limited shopping times. The only thing that limits my shopping times is doctor appointments.

I love being home on the holidays but it is never possible to be home for all of them in my line of work.

I was home for Thanksgiving this year and that means I will be offshore for Christmas and new years without a choice other than losing my job. However I am compensated with double pay  on Christmas and New Years Day.

You always have a choice in the matter, it might not be the choice you want but it is a choice nontheless!

I personally voted with my wallet, my holiday shopping was done on Amazon last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom