Towing a car 2009 Sightseer (Gas)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcj757

Hi all, what would you recommend as far as towing a vehicle? From my initial research both our vehicles a 2009 Altima and 2013 Altima aren't able to be towed by Dinghy. What kind of trailers should I be looking for/ what are my limitations with my rig? Thanks!

Brandon

Contact Remco.com to SE if in fact what is or can't be done to make your cars towable.  Your question was a little vague so if you can be a little more specific youwill get all kinds of help.

Don G.  WIT 70041

Hello,

I have a 2005 Sightseer 29R.  It has a GTWR of 8,000 pounds.  GTWR is Gross Trailer Weight Rating.  In 2005 this info was on a printed sheet of paper glued to the wall of a closet in the bedroom.  Now, by law, it must be posted near the driver?s seat. 

First, check to see how much you can safely tow.  Next check the ratings on you hitch.  You probably have a 5,000 pound hitch but you must check and see. 

The hitch that came on my Sightseer had a capacity of 5,000 pounds but it only was rated for 350 pounds of tongue weight.  Usually tongue weight is 10 percent of capacity or 500 pounds.

I recently converted to 4 down towing but I did tow on a Featherlite open car trailer.  Featherlite trailers are aluminum and my trailer weighs 1,500 pounds, about 500 pounds less than a steel trailer.

I would urge you to weigh you rig to make sure it is not overloaded, then weigh you tow rig to make sure it is not overweight.

I towed a 1996 Subaru Legacy on the trailer.  Combined weight was 4,700 pounds.  To be safe I had Torklift strengthen my hitch to 7,500 pound capacity and 750 pounds of tongue weight.  It is great having Torklift in my backyard.  They make and sell towing product around the world.  http://www.torklift.com/

I had some learning to do when I switched from towing on a trailer to towing 4 down.  I now tow a 2009 Saturn Vue.  My first long trip was to the Canadian Rockies.  I noticed I didn?t have the power I had when towing my trailer.

It took a while and a few questions on forums but someone finally had an answer for me.  On my trailer my trailer wheels are freewheeling and don?t product a lot of drag.  On my Vue I am turning the drive train and a pump in the transmission.  This adds greater drag than my trailer did and it is noticeable when climbing mountains.  In fact it is noticeable when starting from a dead stop on level ground.  I am getting used to it.

Safe Travels.

JD

Back
Top Bottom