Towing Truck Add-ons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryB

Hi - am looking at Ford 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks for a 5er I'm contemplating.? Other than the hitch and towing package, what add-ons do people normally get for the truck itself?? I've read in other places that the ride in these trucks is often very "hard" when not towing, and so people talk about things such as rear sway bars and air bags (I'm assuming that means air shocks?).? For those of you towing 5ers, have you added such things to your truck to soften the ride when not towing?? Do they make a big difference?

Thanks
Gary

All you would really need is the towing package from Ford. Mine has the tow boss package which bumps up the suspension and a few other things. Without the 5W, the ride in back is somewhat stiffer than without the 5W, but all-in-all, it is not bad and really no worse that the F150 SuperCab Lariat I had ... just have to remember you are driving a truck, not a luxury car. I don't have air bags on the springs, but with a GVWR of 13,000 Lbs, I don't need them, even with the 2300 Lb pin weight - still have about 3000 Lbs to spare according to the door plate.

Larry

2006F350 said:
All you would really need is the towing package from Ford.

Thanks 2006F350,

Does the Tow Boss package include things such as a heavy duty alternator, heavy duty cooling system, etc. which I hear are useful for towing?

Thanks
Gary

Gary,

Well you probably want a bed liner - sprayed in - and go over the top of the sides & tailgate so when you put a wheel in a ditch and bash the truck with the 5er it's protected.

Side pipes so you can climb in the thing - get the kind that go all the way back - that's useful for climbing on to get stuff out of back.

Tool box.

CB & antenna.

Our one ton Dodge SRW is pretty comfortable riding around in not towing on pavement.  Beats you pretty good on washboard dirt roads.

If you get a 3'4 ton or 1 ton with a factory towing package you will have everything you need. The add-ons you are talking about is typically for a half ton truck, which has lighter duty components all the way around. One of the reasons we strongly recommend at least a 3/4 ton for towing is just that- heavy duty everything comes right from the factory.

As you can see in my profile picture we have a F350 Crew Cab 4X4.  We have step tubes, a spray in liner and a  5th wheel tailgate... The rest is from good old Ford.. It tows like a dream.... Oh and it comes from Ford with extendable mirrors.. They are great.... I pull my snowmobile trailer in the winter and do not even know it is there....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom