2014 Winnebago Grand National Rally - July 16-20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
What time is it?  Time to think about attending the 2014 Winnebago Grand National Rally in Forest City, Iowa.  Registration and info here.

These events are always fun with entertainment, a downtown parade, seminars and usually vendors servicing their various products.  Jane and I will be attending the 2014 GNR and I'll set up a meet 'n greet in a tent during the rally.

John Canfield said:
Wendy - July 16-20 (the dates are in the subject line  :D.)

I saw that too and chuckled.  She is the one who just got out of  blind training school so I've cut her some slack.

Well, pooh, who reads the subject line ? Do I need to go back to SWBRC for remedial training ?

Okay you fired me up John.  New (preowned) Winnie owner.  Signed up for WIT last Thursday and membership packet and plate came today.  Still waiting after 3 weeks for Good Sam stuff - they need to take notes from WIT. Looked over packet and we signed up tonight for the GNR, our first.  Looking forward to meeting you John.  I signed up for the North Dakota row first and South Dakota row 2nd despite the fact that we live in Missouri.  We lived 35 years up in God's country (ND & SD) and will probably make a return trip up there after the rally.  Gave up for the time being on having a toad or dolly but doesn't look like we will need one at the rally anyway.  My last MH was a 77 Indian and that was the stone age compared to what they are today.

Excellent Bill, in fact I signed up today, we'll be in the Texas row.  You will have a very fun and educational time, we always love coming to the GNR and Forest City - the town opens up its doors and hearts to the attendees.

I'll try to have my Winnebago contact in Owner Relations do a Q&A at our meet 'n greet.

I would like to ask some questions about the 2014 GNR being as this is our first rally of any kind and will also be the first long trip in our new-to-us motorhome. First, transportation - we will not have a car so is there available transportation around the grounds and perhaps to get downtown for the festivities?  Next, will there be factory tours or will those be suspended until after the rally due to other commitments by the staff?  Also, is there a sewer dump service on the grounds - I mean one that comes around and dumps septic tanks or do you have to drive to a dump station.  Five or six days will challenge the holding tanks.  We plan on arriving on the 15th, day before the start.  Is the traffic pretty heavy by then or do most arrive on the 16 (the first day)?  And finally, dog walking, is there a special area (we always pick up droppings) or do you just kind of stick around your own RV (one dog, two cats and one wife form the crew of this rig - but the cats don't need walking)?  Really looking forward to the rally and thanks to any who care to give some info on what to expect.  Nice to take some of the mystery out of it.

Bill N said:
.. we will not have a car so is there available transportation around the grounds and perhaps to get downtown for the festivities?
A car is not necessary as there are free shuttles to town running all day and into the evening during the rally

Next, will there be factory tours or will those be suspended until after the rally due to other commitments by the staff?
There are factory tours and other optional tours/excursions - sign up early!

Also, is there a sewer dump service on the grounds - I mean one that comes around and dumps septic tanks or do you have to drive to a dump station.
There are dumps on rally grounds but you cannot use them during the rally.  You can buy tickets for the honey wagon to pump you out pre-rally and during the rally

We plan on arriving on the 15th, day before the start.  Is the traffic pretty heavy by then or do most arrive on the 16 (the first day)?
We like to get parked three or four days before the rally - it's less hectic, but the day before is good.  The parking crew is exceptionally good, you won't have any problems

And finally, dog walking, is there a special area (we always pick up droppings) or do you just kind of stick around your own RV (one dog, two cats and one wife form the crew of this rig - but the cats don't need walking)?
No worries about walking the doggie, anywhere is fine.  They are not allowed into the buildings or tents on rally grounds though

Really looking forward to the rally and thanks to any who care to give some info on what to expect.  Nice to take some of the mystery out of it.
You should have a terrific time!

John,

Am I dreaming that this thread was much longer yesterday? You has posted a phone humber for me and it as well as the last 15-20 entries are gone :-[

Ernie

NEVER MIND, I found the other thread ;D

Never minding  :D.  I'll add the details about our Meet n' Greet for this thread:

Wednesday, tent E @ 3-3:50P is confirmed for our Meet n' Greet.

A couple more questions on the GNR and thanks for bearing with us but we are really looking forward to this one.  We originally did not plan to bring a car but now plan to continue on after the rally to visit other places and we are pretty sure we will have a toad.  I see a parking area on the grounds for cars.  Any special arrangements need to be made?  Also, since we will have 3 animals (one blind & deaf dog and two black house cats), is the reliability of the 30 amp power pretty good from past experience.  Just thought that with 1300 or 1400 units plugging in, a brownout might be a possibility.  Thanks.

Bill - there are no big issues with parking a car and no special requirements (aside from displaying a car pass), but sometimes you might not be able to snag that spot closest to your RV.  Sometimes we get lucky with getting a nearby spot and sometimes not.  Worst case is you have maybe a five minute walk to/from your car.  We will be hauling the Jeep on a trailer, so we get to jump through a few more hoops when we check in.

The power is very reliable - Winnie has been upgrading power on Rally Grounds as a matter of fact.

Thanks again John for soothing the nerves of a couple of nervous Nellies.  I saw from an old thread that you are also a ham.  We both have licenses but have been inactive for 20 years yet just renewed  our licenses last month.  Thinking about getting a couple of 2m/70cm handi-talkies for use around home and on the road and had not realized how out-of-touch I was until I started reading up on the hobby nowadays.  See you at GNR.

Yup, I'm a ham, WB5THT, Extra Class and a VE.  I was inactive for many years and just went radio-active about a year ago.  Here's a great deal on inexpensive 2m/440 talkies, I bought two at Christmas.  Had to send one of them back but the two I have now work quite well.  You want the programming cable and I bought two speaker microphones.

I used to be almost exclusively on HF RTTY and the changes to the digital modes are amazing.  I'm back on HF and using a PC instead of a clackly-clak machine.

Back
Top Bottom