Your opinion please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capt7383

I am looking at a used curt 16125 fifth wheel hitch 20k. Price is 300 dollars bed rails included. This is our first fiver and obviously our first hitch. Truck is a gmc 3500 dual. Fiver gross is 12000 pin is 2115. I think i'm ok with weights and capacities. I'm more interested in the opinion of a used hitch and the price. I dont know what to look for in a used hitch.
Many thanks

Sounds like a excellent deal for that particular hitch.

I would do a visual looking for cracks in the 4 bottom tabs where it pins to the rails. Also make sure it pivots side to side and fore/aft.

Make sure the hitch jaws aren't cracked.

I generally use a jack handle or a breakover handle or pipe or something similar to  cycle the jaws closed and then open as they should.

Do the bed rails include the brackets underneath, the parts that actually attach the rails to the truck frame?

Considering that you can get a brand new Curt 5W hitch kit for around $600 at ehitch.com, including all the nuts and bolts for mounting, I would not call $300 a bargain. It's a fair enough price if in excellent condition and all parts included, but not so low as to cause excitement.

You can get a brand new 16k Curt hitch on ebay for under $399 (including shipping) and I see used ones starting around $99. Curt slider hitches for around $500-$600. Also check your local Craigs List - there are often hitches for sale. If you aren't in a big hurry, I would shop around some.

If it's a slider hitch, I'd say it's a pretty good deal.  I paid around $1,000 for my 20K Curt slider.  It works great, and is certainly within specs of what you have.  I'm not sure what to look for other than what has been mentioned above.  Like I said, I've had no issues with mine (other than it's a heavy bugger), and it's done what I need it to do.

Thanks much for the advice. Maybe i'll go new. I figure the price diff. At about 3 to 4  hundred. Might be worrh it for guarranty and peace of mind.  I cant imagine too many things more important than the hitch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom