Internet Explorer 11 Failures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weewun

Upgraded from IE 10 to IE 11 when it became available.  Very poor operation with numerous Error Messages stating that IE 11 not responding (it is).  The failure will be followed with a message to close IE. 

While the messages seem to be false the messages interrupt the flow making it impossible to navigate many sites.

Have gone back to IE 10 and all is well.

Am interested knowing what is going on and repairing it.  Do not wish to change to FireFox or any of the other Browsers.

IE will continue to be problematic it has since the beginning of time...not sure why you aren't interested in switching, the transition can be easy with all your favorites and bookmarks transferred....

I am a web designer by trade and constantly have issues with IE - 11 being the worst transition yet....but Chrome, Firefox and Safari all run great.

My personal favorite is Firefox but I also use Chrome quite a bit....I only have IE on my computer to test websites for coding errors.

Good Luck but I would wait awhile before trying 11 again....it generally takes them about 3 months to sort out all the issues.

Jim

+1

I've been a software developer for 40+ years.  Explorer is my last choice in browsers.  I like Chrome the best, since the Bookmarks sync easily between my laptop, phone, tablet, and desktop.

A word to the wise..... Use Explorer in any dealings with Microsoft web stuff. I've seen them slow down Firefox to a crawl when downloading and executing MS stuff.

I won't disagree with any of the above.  IE is my very last choice for a browser, and only use it to test my web sites to see that they work properly in all the common browsers.

I guess I'm in the minority here.  I use IE and upgraded to IE 11 with no problem (except for having to set this site to "compatibility mode").  Actually, I updated three Win 7 computers to IE 11 with no problem.  I use Chrome to operate my Chromecast for Netflix streaming and have Firefox installed, but don't see a big enough improvement over IE to make either my default browser.  I, too, was (past tense) a web developer but did not encounter any unusual difficulties with web users who used IE.  No doubt there are advantages to other browsers out there over IE, but I have not experienced anything yet to make me switch.

weewun said:
Appreciate your input, just wish that 74 +yrs of living had made me an expert on life.
If you are entering your second childhood, maybe you will become a teenager again. If you do, you will once again know everything. ;)

I am just a user and have never used IE at all.  I do use Chrome for somethings.  I really don't like it for the fact that it seems to want to take over your life.

My favorite is Opera which I learned about from Kim Komando's radio show in 97' or so,  the problem with it is that while it is a very stable simple clean browser,  the latest version that they rolled out a couple of months back was a nightmare.  Luckily I had kept my current version separate and tried the new one, what a mess.  Finally just deleted it.  I really wish that they would quit tinkering with it  constantly to have to be bigger or better.  Sometimes small and simple is better.

I only use Firefox....... I refuse to use IE.... it's too slow and has too many issues.

I stopped using IE a year or so ago, never had issues till then, tried Chrome, had to shoot it, it was horrible for me, Firefox has been great. 

weewun said:
Have gone back to IE 10 and all is well.

How did you go back to IE 10?  I installed IE 11 by mistake and am having all kinds of troubles since. I never upgraded to IE 10 and was happy with IE 9. I would like to go back but do not know how. I am reluctant to try to uninstall IE 11 for fear of really messing things up.

R

go to the windows download site. here is the link for ie 10

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-10-details.aspx

Uninstall IE11 and it will revert to the previous version.

WFD said:
And after you have uninstalled IE 11, switch to Firefox and be done with IE.... ;D

Rick
I agree......... people told me that for a long time before I finally switched to Firefox (about 4 years ago). I would never go back to IE.

+1 Against IE (In general, not only 11)

That NOT withstanding, one the things I have to take on, is support for end users on Windows machines.  IE is a bugger, whenever I have to 'deal' with it... that is, make it work because the user doesn't want to change, an application or program in the business environment REQUIRES IE, etc.  Now, I don't want to regurgitate the majority of the comments above, which I agree with.

I would ask, what is the error message that IE 11 was giving you? 

Would you be able to upgrade another PC from IE10 to IE11 and does it give you the same heartache? 

Many times, I find that IE will not interpret the HTML programming language correctly from a website... other browsers are normally more forgiving.  This then becomes a Compatibility issue.   

That's why sometimes websites don't look like you expect them to?images might not appear, menus might be out of place, and text could be jumbled together.

If this is your problem (or one of them), you can do the following to use Compatibility View for those sites.

1) Open the desktop, and then tap or click the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar.

2) Tap or click the Tools button Tools, (looks like a Gear(or Cog... depends on your imagination and how you interpret symbols.:))and then tap or click Compatibility View settings.

3)Under Add this website, enter the URL of the site you want to add to the list, and then tap or click Add.

I have been following this and other computer problem issues over the years and it seems like a lot of you use and like Firefox over IE.  I think I would like to try Firefox on my Windows 7 Laptop.  If I download http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/#download-fx do I need to delete my IE and will my favorites switch over to Firefox?  Dick nvrver

Back
Top Bottom