Using a 5er with a gooseneck adapter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shmuck2002

Hi friends,

I reciently upgraded my tow vehicle from a F150 to a F250 V10, much better for towing my tow-behind 26' toy hauler! When I bought it, it already had airbags in the rear, and a gooseneck style hitch in the bed (that's what they call the kind that is a normal ball in the bed, instead of the tower, right?). I didnt think much of it, because I knew it wasnt the same as a 5th hitch. We'd been thinking in the long run we'll upgrade to a larger trailer that is a 5th, and I just happened to be browsing the Camping World catalog the other night, and they have an adapter to go from the 5th-wheel kingpin style to the gooseneck style! Cool!

My question is, is this a safe, perminant method, or are those adapters really just for occasional lightweight use in case you have to do it? i read the specs on the adapter, and its rated to 15,500#, so it sounds like it would be up to the task! Thought that would be a good solution if I go with a 5er in the future, so I dont have to spend extra money on a new hitch. And, in my line of work, having a less conspicious, less in-the-way hitch is a benefit!

thanks everyone :)

My neighbor pulls a 38' Mobil Suites with a gooseneck hitch.  He has had no problems, except it is a little more difficult than a regular hitch to get the hitch centered over the ball.

Another thing you may want to consider in going the gooseneck route is that some 5W trailer mfg's will void your warranty if you use a gooseneck adapter (I know Keystone will .. at least that is what the owners manual says). I can sort of understand their reasoning. It's like using a cheater bar on the end of a breaker bar (cinch handle). You get more twisting power, which also means it would be easier to exceed the design limits of your breaker bar. I've no doubt it is safe as many folks do use the gooseneck adapter, but to me, it seems that it could possibly put more stress on the pin box that it was designed to handle.

My opinion only .....

Larry

Cool, thanks for your responses! Sounds to me (and had I done a quick search for 'gooseneck' before making this post...!) that it's an okay thing to do, it will work, a lot of people do it for various reasons. If I do end up going with a 5er for my next trailer, I'll probably go that route. I wont be looking for a 39' or anything ;) Probably something along the lines of 28 - 30ft, and of the toy hauler variety :) Since I already have the hitch, and I need the bed of my truck to remain accessable when not towing, sounds like using my gooseneck will be best for my needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom