Remembering when-----

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill dane

Wife, granddaughter and I were at an estate sale recently and while looking at items on a table, felt a touch on my arm.  Granddaughter then ask "Grandfather, what is a Roebuck?".  Turned to see her holding a old  Sears and Roebuck catalog.  Cannot remember when it became just Sears.  That started a discussion among other shoppers about name changes. 
    Care to share name changes that you have observed?

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

4 years ago I bought a 1975 International Scout and found Western Auto Shocks still on it.

Joezeppy said:
Jefferson Airplane ---> Jefferson starship ---> Starship. Went downhill with each change!  :(

Couldn't agree more.

Saw "Starship" live in 1985.  Grace Slick still looked pretty good in those days, but the concert sucked. 

Anyone remember Montgomery Wards?  Then it was just "Wards".

A number of years ago I shipped my grandfathers "Monkey" Wards table saw from Wyoming to Arizona.  Unfortunately UPS performed a vertical stress test on it which it subsequently failed so the Monkey Wards table saw was replaced with a plain old Sears Craftsman.

Does Navistar still make "Cornbinders" ?  ( "Cornbinder"/"Barnyard Buick"/"Thirteen letter **** spreader": a Navistar International truck (formerly International Harvester ). ...

They sold the agricultural machinery business many, many years ago. I forget to whom. Google "about Navistar" and you will find their company history. There is a timeline that goes back 100+ years.

Gary, you underestimate me a bit. I am a bit older than you and I grew up in the Cornbinder era, even worked and fixed IH trucks.  Just wondered if the name brought back memories from the old-timers.

I am of the cornbinder era. I believe International (Farmall) sold their farm equipment line to Case which became Case-International. I never did like Case. Case and International should not go together.

Molaker said:
Colonel Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken - now just KFC.

They had to changer the name.. Harlan Sanders (not yet Col. Sanders, an honorary title conferred by the state of Ky on many people. I even had a Col. Sgt once, yup, he was a "Kentucky Col, and a Micihgan state police Sgt.).

Back to KFC.. They had to change the name because KFC is very clearly NOT Kentucky fried chicken with the possible exception of the Corbin KY store.

IN fact. because one store manager/owner (he actually owned his store) refused to change to the "NEW" formula,  Pepsico made him take down his signs and canceled his franchise.. He went to court and a Federal Judge proclaimed Kentucky Fried Chicken better than KFC's product.

How do I know this.... Well I stopped in at Hoot's chicken coop and interviewed Mr. Hoot, (Said owner/manager) and saw his walls of "Best franchise" awards from back when the Col ran the business.

Olympia Beer,  "Oly". "It's the water".        Rainer Beer, "Raindeer"        Beer Beer.  Yup. came in a white can with black letters that said, BEER".

Kresge's 5&10 became K-Mart.

What happened to Woolworths? There was always a Woolworths within a block of Kresge's

Bill

Gary RV Roamer said:
Credence Clearwater Revivial became CCR
Actually Creedence Clearwater Revivial never became CCR, they always were CCR to the lazy people of the world. What happened was John Fogerty, the leader and founding member went his own way in the 70s and that effectively ended CCRs life as a band. However in 1995 several members got back together and formed Creedence Clearwater Revisited. Of course without John Fogerty in the group it was a pale version of the real thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom