Remembering when-----

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A shirt-tale relative from Pennsylvania arrived in California in the late 40's/early 50's driving a Kaiser-Frazer automobile.  They were only made for several years.

From the west coast--Heidelburg beer commercial on the radio "Howdy, Howdy, Howdy everybody. I just stopped by to say in a friendly sort of way, let's have a HEIDELBURG".  Also from the 50s on the radio--Lucky Lager Dance Time.

Late 50's radio in the SF Bay Area:  Commercial for Berkeley Farms Dairy Products ... "Farms??? ... in Berkeley???  "Tut Tut Tut Tut Tuttles ... Tuttles Cottage Cheese".  Also,  "Tuesday is Red's Tamales Day!"

Anyone hanging around the Bay Area at that time will also remember Don Sherwood's "Out of the mud, grows the lotus."

"What's the word? Thunderbird / How's it sold? Good and cold / What's the jive? Bird's alive / What's the price? Thirty twice"  Um, um!

60s McDonalds commercial.  45cents for a 3 course meal, sounds to me like quite a deal.

Lots of old radio shows before we had TV, such as The Lone Ranger; Tom Corbett, Space Cadet; The Green Hornet; The Shadow; Big John and Sparky; Jack Benny, just to name a few. In about the 3rd or 4th grade, when I got home from school I'd plop down on the floor in front of the radio for the last few minutes of Stella Dallas (mom's soap), because it was almost time for The Lone Ranger.

When we finally got TV, we'd sit down in front of it about a quarter of five to watch the test pattern (quite a novelty in itself), followed at five by Crusader Rabbit.

Here come the memories again; My little story...

In the early sixties I was a junior electronic tech in a brand new TV station. Helped build it from the ground up. Once we got into operation there was a need to get microwave feeds from the East and I was elected to record the programs on an Ampex recorder (spinning head 3" tape on spools). All vacuum  tube equipment requiring regular maintenance...me.

The big problem was that I had to leave home at 3AM in the mornings to meet the deadline. Not nice for a newly wedded guy 6 miles away. Did that for about 3 years and then a better opportunity came along work-wise.
  My memory.... Recording "Sing along wit Mitch Miller" with the bouncing ball and lyrics at the bottom of the screen  Anyone remember ? Now 50 years later I still dream about that stupid bouncing ball. Not a high point in my career.
I guess this fits in within the topic.  No regrets, just another step up the ladder. Now happily retired and getting old fast.

Lowell said:
What happened to Massey Harris, Fergison, and Oliver farm equipment?

Not sure on Harris, but think it became part of Massey Ferguson. Massey Ferguson is currently marketed as one of the AGCO brands. Oliver and Minneapolis-Moline merged or were bought by the same entity in the early 70s to become WFE (White Farm Equipment) WFE is also an AGCO brand, if it still exists. It may have become part of their MF line by now.

And can you believe gas was once sold for less than $2/gal? You could return empty cola bottles for money and milk came in glass jugs, some with cream on top!

I knew the $2 price would get a response. How about the "gas wars" were prices got down to 11? a gal. I've pumped a many gallon of gas $1 worth at a time, checked oil and washed the windshield.

I pumped gas the first summer out of high school in 1967. The mechanical meter went to $9.99 then rolled over. A customer stopped in with a brand new Dodge Polara, he had left the lot with just enough gas to reach us (cheap b#%*@+ds). He put in ten bucks worth. :eek: I had never seen a car take that much, why that was a day's wages. ;D

Remember the tall gas pumps with the big glass tanks on top?  The attendant pumped a lever on the side, filling the glass tank to the gallon mark etched on the glass with the amount of gas you wanted to buy.  Then the gas was gravity fed through a hose into your gas tank.  Power outage?  No sweat.  These pumps didn't use no stinkin' electricity.  As for how much, I remember buying 50 cents once, but usually it was, "Give me a dollar's worth of regular".  That was usually at least 4 gallons...unless there was a gas war going on.  If feeling really rich, one might, "Fill 'er up with ethyl".

Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America and all the ships at sea. This is Walter Winchel.

I may be the only one here, old enough to remember that. But, I didn't know anyone who didn't listen to Walter Winchel on his evening news broadcast. (WWII era.)

Ray D.

Molaker said:
Remember the tall gas pumps with the big glass tanks on top?  The attendant pumped a lever on the side, filling the glass tank to the gallon mark etched on the glass with the amount of gas you wanted to buy.  Then the gas was gravity fed through a hose into your gas tank. 

Around 1953-54 my Mom delivered The Seattle Times daily and Sunday newspaper up around Marysville and Arlington, Washington.  She would put about 1000 miles a week on the car so Dad put a big [200-500 (?) gallon] tank in the back yard, and I remember going out there to fuel the car ... hand pump it up into the glass ... it held 10 gallons.

Howard

How about a 1952 Studebaker 4 door with an automatic transmission? Great car.
Good luck and safe travels!

BeltoneMagoo said:
How about a 1952 Studebaker 4 door with an automatic transmission? Great car.

That was my first car.

Back
Top Bottom