Remembering when-----

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember my Mom's 47 Studebaker Commander with the bullet nose. A family friend owned the local Studebaker dealership and got her the first post-war new model in our town. The body style was considered revolutionary at the time and she sure was proud!

Specifically the "Studebaker Starlight".  I never had one but a good friend of mine did, ca 1952.
  Wrap-around rear window,  see here>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Starlight

"Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America and all the ships at sea. This is Walter Winchel."  I may be the only one here, old enough to remember that.

Don't we wish!  I remember it well.

ArdraF

Uncle was an old school mechanic and he nicknamed the studebakers as  steady-breakers.

One of my first was a 55 Hudson Hornet...would love to have one now and in fact looking to buy an old one. I'm building another 500 cadillac engine to slide into one just in case I find the right body.

My first driving experience, beyond farm tractors, was a 1939 Studebaker Champion 2-door sedan.  6cyl with 3-speed manual transmission with overdrive.  We lived in the hills of southern Illinois, and since the Studebaker overdrive was completely 'free wheeling', some of the down hill runs could get exciting.

I was just doing some reading, and found that the overdrive was a $45 option in '39, and the 'hill holder' option, used to prevent roll away while the clutch was depressed, was another $8.50.  Ours was an old used car by the time I started driving, so I don't remember what "options" we had.  It did have a heater (no radio), so that would have been an option back then.

I learned to drive when I was 5 or 6 on a John Deere with a hand clutch.  A I had to do was straddle the row of hay and drive in low gear while my father and Uncle pitched hay on the wagon in back.  When I was in 6th grade, I got to drive a tractor to school, so I could back out in the field as soon as school was over.  Good Times!

Daddy had a '53 4 dr. Desoto Firedome V8 when I started driving.  It had the M6 semi-automatic transmission and fluid drive.  What I remember most about the Desoto was the door latches which all but gave out by the time the car was about 5 years old.  We kept the back doors shut by tying a rope across the arm rests.  But, I actually learned on a friend's '47 Plymouth Deluxe flathead 6, 3 on-the-column transmission.  The following year I bought my own '48 Plymouth Deluxe for $100.  Both Desoto and Plymouth are long gone now.

Lowell said:
I learned to drive when I was 5 or 6 on a John Deere with a hand clutch.  A I had to do was straddle the row of hay and drive in low gear while my father and Uncle pitched hay on the wagon in back.  When I was in 6th grade, I got to drive a tractor to school, so I could back out in the field as soon as school was over.  Good Times!
Lowell, the 1938 John Deere "B" that I learned to drive on had steel lug wheels.  I remember that our winterizing routine consisted of turning an old coffee can up side down over the exhaust pipe.  We used to take odds on how many spins of the old flywheel it would take in the spring to start the engine and blow the can off.

I thought we were getting rich when we got a 1941 model H with rubber tires. :D

BTW - I have an older brother named Lowell.

Just Lou said:
Lowell, the 1938 John Deere "B" that I learned to drive on had steel lug wheels.  I remember that our winterizing routine consisted of turning an old coffee can up side down over the exhaust pipe.  We used to take odds on how many spins of the old flywheel it would take in the spring to start the engine and blow the can off.

I thought we were getting rich when we got a 1941 model H with rubber tires. :D

BTW - I have an older brother named Lowell.

I bet that John Deere had those decompression valves that you open to hand start it.  It would spit until you closed them off.  This thread brings back a lot of memories.

Lowell said:
I bet that John Deere had those decompression valves that you open to hand start it.  It would spit until you closed them off.  This thread brings back a lot of memories.

I think I weighed about 89lbs at the age of 13, so without those relief valves I could never have turned that flywheel to start those tractors.  Thank God the old FORD tractor had electric start.

Jim Godward said:
There are still a few of those around.  One is near Shelton WA for sure but there must be others as they just got some new equipment.
That one neer Shelton for awhile had xxx movies.  ;)

dustym said:
That one neer Shelton for awhile had xxx movies.  ;)

Damn, missed those.  We have never been to it but drove by on the way to my daughter's place somewhere in that area.  We turned left off the highway  and wandered around a few winding roads till we got there.  About 10 or so miles from the highway off in the forest somewhere.  Glad the GPS worked both ways.

One of my best friends in the 70's (and a fabulous bridge partner) was Gay Sullivan.  I wouldn't want to be around when someone teased her about her name.  One look would convince them that teasing was not an option which would be well received.

In the 50's, Sears sold a small 2 door car.  Anyone remember the name of it?

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

Back
Top Bottom