rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: replaced converter  (Read 1571 times)

Clay L

• ---
replaced converter
« on: December 11, 2013, 12:05:41 PM »
After ten years of full time use my Parallax 7445 converter started making intermittent humming noises. It doesn't sound like the 60 cycle hum you can get from transformers. Sometimes it sort of sounds like the fan bearings, other times not at all like that.
I took it out and blew the dust and a little pet hair out and listened to the fan while it was running. Of course it was perfectly quiet while it was out.

It continued to make noise so I tried to find another 7445 with no luck - it has been discontinued.
Now before I get a bunch of answers telling me what a terrible converter the 7445 is, let me say again it has lasted ten years.
I do have to check and usually add water to the batteries every couple of months.

One reason to use another 7445 is that the place where it is mounted is a little hard for my 73 year old body to contort and reach into, so a drop in replacement would be a good thing. None of the new Parallax or Inteli-Power units are a exact fit.

i bought an Inteli-Power PD 9145A in Quartzsite and installed it.

Turns out it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be. I was able to get my small battery powered pistol screwdriver in there and with self tapping screws get it mounted. Of course I had to take drawers out and stick my head and one arm in one open space so I could reach the area.

The instructions say any charging device will cause loss of water and to check the batteries often. They also say when connected to shore power for extended times to use the battery disconnect switch. That's what my Winnebago owners manual says about the Parallax converter.

I looked at but didn't buy the plug in charge wizard but I think the next time I go over to Q I will get one. For $26 it's not a big investment and might be worth it.

In any case I now have a very quiet converter - haven't even heard the fan come on yet.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

Becks

• ---
Re: replaced converter
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:28:09 PM »
Nice work Clay, sounds like you will be good for another ten years. Now how about working on getting us a little more warm weather here in Q.
2006 Travel Supreme
Spartan 42FT Tag Axle
1040 watts of solar
2019 Dodge Ram Hemi 4x4/2003 Honda CRV/2013 Harley Ultra Limited in truck bed

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »
Wouldn't that be nice !
 It is going to stay in the middle to low 60s for the next week or so according to the forecast.
Still it's a lot better than what most of the rest of the country is having.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »
Since you got a 9145.. You can easily turn it into just about the best converter made.

Add a Charge Wizard, Simple job, You remove one screw, a plug, and plug in the wizard, then replace the screw.

This is unless you already have the wizard (Small square thing with a button and a light and a picture of a man in wizard robes).

About 25 bucks as I recall.   

What's the difference?

Well the 9145 and the 7345 are much alike, single stage units.. These never really get the battery to full or.. they over charge, depending on the settings.

The 9145 WITH WIZARD is a top of the line 3-stage PLUS converter, equal to the 9245 with optional dongle. And frankly.. I do not think there is a better one out there in that size (There are bigger ones, There are some that are as good or close enough to be hard to call, but no better ones).
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.