Taking the Texas class B non CDL drivers test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donandlin

Just became full timers and established residency in TX.  Now have to take the drivers test for class B non CDL since our RV is over 26,000#.  Has anyone taken this test that can help us pass??  Most of the info in the CDL section 14 they told us to study is for truck drivers and farmers!  How detailed are the questions?  We need some reassurance that we can get by this one!  Haven't taken a test in years!  Thanks!
PS.  Can you take the manual in with you when you test?

Study Chapter 15 of the Texas Drivers License Handbook and any references in Chapter 15 to other chapters. After reading chapter 15 of the manual, just make sure you can answer all the Class A questions in the back of the manual. It's a 20 question test, and I believe you can miss 5 and still pass. After you pass your knowledge test, I think you will have to schedule a driving test as well. Good luck!

My wife and I have both taken the written test twice without a problem. (Twice because our written expired between written and practical tests - and therein lies your problem) Yes, there is some detail, but it is easily mastered. You just have to pass.

Now the practical test - there's where the fun lies. We tried to get ours done in Livingston (Escapees) and that was a bust. You have to call at 0800 exactly and get on the list. No appointments, no do overs. After trying that for several days, we blew that pop stand with our Arkansas licenses (you don't turn them over until you get your Texas version) and in Arkansas there is no weight restriction for motorhomes.

We ultimately took our tests in Dimmit (look it up) because the local tester would schedule. Most of the larger offices don't appear (or did not then, two years ago) to want to do that. At the bigger DMV's, you are going to have to fight traffic, stuff yourself in a parking lot, and then manhandle all that going back out for the test. You can beat those odds.

Tip #2 - the advantage of a small town like Dimmit is wide streets and low traffic. Do not use a steering wheel spinner! Both hands on the wheel at all times.

Tip #3 - be prepared to do an air brake test with bleed down (maybe you are not a diesel?)

Tip #4 - there are those who say you will have to parallel park - can't speak for them, but the tester was asked that and she looked at me like I had two heads. "Where would you parallel park that monster (38'ft DP at the time)?"

In the practical, drive slowly, have your head on a swivel, signal every turn way ahead of time, and imagine yourself passing with flying colors. If you handle your rig fine now, you'll be fine in the test. Otherwise, do a little practice and get really smooth. They want you to know how big you are, where you fit in traffic, and that you have the confidence to stay out of trouble. If you can't turn a corner without curbing and using the lanes correctly, you are going to have a problem in a tight testing environment.

My bride is extremely proud that she got a higher score because I went first, used the spinner, and got pointed off. She had the advantage of my test, so let the better driver go first. :)

You will be fine, just be confident and prepared.

Kim

Don't count on not having to parallel park; I had to. Be very aware of the tail swing when doing it. My inspector was watching that and jumping the curb. Otherwise, the driving test is essy.

Do study the sections called out above, not the Commercial test. There are actually different correct answers to at least two questions.

Ernie

I have a Texas cdl for driving a school bus. Avoid the written test. The computer version is easier to take and understand. If you have air brakes. They will fail you, before leaving the parking lot, if you don't get it right.

Kim,

I took the written in Bonham and then they scheduled me for the driving test in Sherman because they don't have a qualified person in Bonham. Very convenient and no waiting either time. Note that parallel parking was on a wide back street that was not marked.

Ernie

Thanks all for the info.  My husband took the written test in Livingston and passed!  We scheduled the driven in Ft Stockton where they took appointments.  We go this Wed and feel confident.  I can't believe you would have to parallel park!  When does anyone with a 40' DP do that??  The clerk in Ft Stockton said we would have to back up only.  Also only checking that the airbrakes work on the RV.  By the way, what is bleed down for the air brakes?   

I took the written and driving exam in Fort Worth.  They do take reservations for the driving part.  The written is a piece of cake if you have studied that part of the manuel.  I did have to parallel park, which is a joke. If you run over the curb, you fail the whole test.  I will never parallel park a 38' DP without rear (someone) guidance and a lot of patience.  The rest of the driving test was reasonable.  Use your turn signals in advance and keep your head moving at all times for traffic, checking mirrors and cameras.  The brake bleed wasn't required, only to demonstrate that they worked (hard stop).  It seems different DMV's apply the requirements differently.  Some don't even know the rules.  My driving examiner had never given an RV test, only commercial trucks.  100 points, 30 off and you fail.  Interesting question-  Just ask if you can skip the parallel park (10 points) and go on to the rest of the test.  The examiner might not think that's funny.

Besure you know how to test the air brakes, including the numbers. My examiner asked the numbers before having me demonstrate.

Ernie

bleed down on air brakes is when you pump the brake pedal until the low air warning alarm comes on that is done with key on engine off then you start engine and wait for pressure to build up and alarm off

I just went down to the DL office to get the handbook for this written.  I'm not sure that I took the correct test.  I filled out the form to signify I need the RV part, but everything I got from the office says CDL.  I think I took the CDL written, as it asked several things with regards to reflectors and stuff on an 18 wheeler, and I passed. 

Where I am lost is I went online at the DPS website to schedule the driving test, and my only two choices were regular test for cars, and the CDL test.  A real part of my frustration is that no matter which office you call, you can't talk to a person.  Anyone know how to bypass that phone que and speak to someone?  Also anyone know if I have scheduled the correct driving test?

I sure wish someone would (could) explain how something that is required (getting a Class B non commercial license) is so hard to try to get scheduled.  The referenced link about this subject specifically states that to schedule the skills test one must e-mail the office and request an appointment, and must NOT use the scheduling link at the site's web page.

However, there is no email address listed for the specific location that I want to use to take the skills test that I can find.  Before I read the linked information, I found the web page and scheduled the driving test for a CDL, as it was the only thing listed except for a regular (auto or truck) license test.  Now I read that this is NOT the way to go.

Why does this have to be so difficult???? :mad:

rcflyerrv said:
I sure wish someone would (could) explain how something that is required (getting a Class B non commercial license) is so hard to try to get scheduled.  The referenced link about this subject specifically states that to schedule the skills test one must e-mail the office and request an appointment, and must NOT use the scheduling link at the site's web page.

However, there is no email address listed for the specific location that I want to use to take the skills test that I can find.  Before I read the linked information, I found the web page and scheduled the driving test for a CDL, as it was the only thing listed except for a regular (auto or truck) license test.  Now I read that this is NOT the way to go.

Why does this have to be so difficult???? :mad:
Because that is what the State of Texas decided should be, or needed to be, done. 

Wow, the title of this surprised me.  We've been to 3 RV dealers here in Houston, test drove 2 40' DP and both times were told you don't need a special license.  Both had to be over the weight limit.  I guess they will say anything to get you to sign the papers! 

nikasdads said:
Wow, the title of this surprised me.  We've been to 3 RV dealers here in Houston, test drove 2 40' DP and both times were told you don't need a special license.  Both had to be over the weight limit.  I guess they will say anything to get you to sign the papers!
I don't think there is any regulation or law requiring the dealer to tell buyers or potential buyers that if the the MH is 26,001 pounds or greater you need the Texas class B non commercial license.  Lacking any kind of regulation, it is buyer beware. 

That may well be because not every buyer requires one. Only those registering in Texas (or other states where there is a similar requirement, and maybe with a "different name"). It would be nice of the dealer at one point, to inform a buyer, but he may be afraid of scaring off a client as well.

I finished up the requirements on Tue, and I assure you the concerns about scheduling the test were waaayyyy harder than was the test itself.  All I had to do was essentially drive around the block a couple times and back up about 20 feet.  Before we moved, the examiner wanted to check all my lights and horn, as well as do an airbrake check, but she told me exactly what to do.  Total test time was about 15 minutes.  Big thing was don't hit any curbs and don't break any laws.

I was never asked anything about how I got the RV there.

I seem to be in the same predicament as everyone else. After two trips to the Garland DMV I got the info needed, studied and passed the test. Now I want to do the drive part, this is May 25th, the soonest available schedule for my area seems to be sometime in August. What am I missing here? Has anyone just went and waited, rather than scheduled?

Rob

2007 Itasca Ellipsce 40TD
2001 Lexus RX300

Back
Top Bottom