rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: What is the service life of coolant hoses  (Read 8854 times)

joeda133

• ---
What is the service life of coolant hoses
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
What do members recommend as the operating life of the coolant hoses connected to engine radiators.  In my case the chassis is a Ford Triton V10 on F-53 chassis. They show no signs of cracking but are 10 years old.  When i was younger I would replace them without question at this age.  However I dont know what has changed with rubber technology in the last 10 years.  I am about to replace the coolant so it is a good time to consider replacing some of them. Any recommentations are appreciated.

Joe

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
Re: What is the service life of coolant hoses
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »
My 1994 class B still has all of the original hoses. I did have to replace the serpentine belt a few years ago.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

mistere

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:48:07 AM »
If they are the standard looking black hoses I would replace them.  If they fail on the road the minimum addition would be an expensive tow, the potential for engine damage is also present.  I always recommend OEM hoses, I stocked aftermarket in my shop, but only used them when there wasn't time to order OEM.
Ed
Lifetime Sahara tent trailer
2013 Toyota 4Runner

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:16:17 AM »
I personally don't think aged radiator hoses and belts are a badge of honor, especially on an RV.

Given Murphy's Law, they will fail at the absolute worst time. If I were changing out the coolant, flushing the radiator, and generally getting everything in that system ready to travel, I would install new hoses, and closely check the hose clamps.

Otherwise, I'd have my Coach-Net paid up.  8)
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Trailer Ranch RV Resort, Santa Fe, NM

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think 10 years is dangerously old for today's radiator hoses. I might start to get uneasy somewhere in the 15-20 year range, though.

However, the comment about Murphy's Law is an apt one. When we are out enjoying our Rvs, the last thing we want to happen is to have Murphy drop by for a visit.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 11:02:17 AM »
We are also at the 10 year mark on our DP and 95,000 miles and I've been thinking about those hoses lately.  At the moment the coach is in the shop for routine maintenance and they are supposed to check the hoses.  My thought though is even if the shop finds they are OK, I'm thinking we'll replace them at the 125,000 +/- mile mark when we will be changing our Transynd transmission fluid.

But Gary I like your view point.  We are probably being way over cautious.

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 12:25:40 PM »
Our rig turned 10 years old this month. I'm not replacing hoses, but the serpentine belt was replaced two years ago after a few hairline cracks began to appear.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

moisheh

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 12:38:39 PM »
I think we should distinguish between Rad hoses and coolant hoses ( heater hose). Upper and lower rad hoses and other engine mounted are the ones to worry about. On a DP the heater hoses will last a long time. Our 88 Bluebird still had the original heater hoses when we sold it last year. But all the others had been replaced twice. I would have to disagree on using OEM hoses. Gates has some very high tech long lasting hoses that will outlive what any mfr. installs. Expensive but worth it!

Jammer

• ---
  • Moar Aluminuminum!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »
What do members recommend as the operating life of the coolant hoses connected to engine radiators.  In my case the chassis is a Ford Triton V10 on F-53 chassis. They show no signs of cracking but are 10 years old.  When i was younger I would replace them without question at this age.  However I dont know what has changed with rubber technology in the last 10 years.  I am about to replace the coolant so it is a good time to consider replacing some of them. Any recommentations are appreciated.

Hi Joe

In my experience it is extremely rare for a present-day (post 1990 or so) upper or lower radiator hose that has not been disturbed to just up and fail.  On the other hand if the hose has to be removed for any reason then the inevitable flexing and the force required to remove and install the hose can cause it to fail.

I do not replace radiator hoses just because they are old.  On the other hand I do replace them incidental to replacement of a thermostat, water pump, or radiator if they are more than 10 years old.
2004 Suburban 2500 4wd 8.1 / 2010 Airstream Classic 30' /
1997 K2500 regular cab long bed pickup / 1971 Cayo C-11

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »
I would agree with Jammer.. Most people will not own a vehicle long enough to need to replace those hoses,, I have seen them last 10-20 years if not disturbed, or 10-20 minutes if improperly disturbed.  As in I did not make it from the repair shop to my office before the hose blew.. (The shop messed it up, and I did get to work on time, Turns out I was able to get a spare near where it failed (Coasting range).
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Conquest aka Robert

• ---
  • 1996 gulfstream conquest ultra 102
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »
Give them a squeeze if soft replace them also look for any damage from road STUFF nicks or chunks missing. Those would be the definitely replace them the rest is very subjective as you have read. You have murphy's law and of course the we're in the middle of no where factor. 8)
1996 GulfStream Conquest Ultra 102  04-19-2011.
2009 Honda Ruckus
1984 Southwind for 6 years.
1 Wife
6 Children who needs pets

Frizlefrak

• ---
  • El Paso, Texas
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »
The odds of a hose letting go are directly proportionate to how remote of an area you've gone into, and the subsequent cost of remediation.  We go deep into the boonies.  I replace them every 5 years with Gates.  Cheap insurance.
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Palomino 30' TT

driftless shifter

• ---
  • A Luddite with a stupid phone
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »
It's more of an inspection thing than a periodic one. If they bulge or flare near the ends, if they feel squishy in some places, or if they get brittle, and lose pliability. Probably a good idea to replace. If an oil weep has kept it oily replace it.

They pop when you'ld expect, pulling long grades, running with the big dogs when you shouldn't, in slow traffic immediately after highway hauling or grade pullin'.

Bil
Bill & Nan
(o\_!_/o)
93 bounder 34, chevy chassis
couple of aircooled vw's, 1 fast(sold), 1 reliable(sold).  Dubless : (
USN '76-'80, 1 boat, USS Blandy, DD 943.
I'm an analog guy in a digital age.

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 09:04:12 PM »
We are also at the 10 year mark on our DP and 95,000 miles and I've been thinking about those hoses lately.  At the moment the coach is in the shop for routine maintenance and they are supposed to check the hoses.  My thought though is even if the shop finds they are OK, I'm thinking we'll replace them at the 125,000 +/- mile mark when we will be changing our Transynd transmission fluid.

But Gary I like your view point.  We are probably being way over cautious.

Marsha~
I would go check the Allison site before you your Transynd transmission fluid. I believe if you do a oil analysis and it checks good you don't need to change it. I will try to find the link.
Bill

fixed quote
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:08:37 AM by Marsha/CA »
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
Thanks Bill.  We were doing some research and read somewhere (?) that the transynd fluid needed to be changed at the 125,000 mile mark.  We do have an oil analysis done at each oil change, so I'll check into that.  I've not heard that an oil analysis would indicate bad transmission fluid.  That's a new one for me.

Marsha~
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:09:27 AM by Marsha/CA »
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »
Thanks Bill.  We were doing some research and read somewhere (?) that the transynd fluid needed to be changed at the 125,000 mile mark.  We do have an oil analysis done at each oil change, so I'll check into that.  I've not heard that an oil analysis would indicate bad transmission fluid.  That's a new one for me.

Marsha~
I was talking about sampling the transmission fluid. You should probably change the filters.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 11:58:56 PM »
I had the serpentine belt and many hoses on the old 92 changed when we bought it along with the generator hoses also.  But the rv service places all told me those hoses with the steel outer core didn't need replaced, they said some of those will last the life of the engine so we are taking their word for it.