World Friendship Converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zapme

:( I am trying to get my trailer ready to sell. Working inside, cleaning, installing hardwood floor, the lights started to blink then went out. I turned off the breaker to the converter and then back on. The converter fan started, the lights came on for a second and then everything went back off. I'm thinking the converter went bad. Is it repairable or should I just get a new one? Its a WF-8955AN

The converter could have died, but the house battery should have carried the lights until it discharged - the lights getting gradually dimmer as the battery ran down, not going out all at once.

Since you were moving things around, you could have knocked loose one of the wires running to the house battery.  I'd look at why you don't have the battery in circuit first, then see if the converter is charging it properly.  Some converters need the battery in place to function properly.

By the way, World Friendship Co. is more commonly known by the acronym it later adopted, WFCO.  It's made in China and is basically a lower cost alternative to the American made Magnetek power center.

I have been running the lights with out the battery hook up for weeks. Also my son lived in it for six months with out the battery hooked up. I just tried hooking up the battery, all the lights came on. I guest that brings it back to the converter? Because I am selling it I would like to spend as little as possible on it. Thanks for such a quick reply

The converters generally are not repairable unless you have the electronic skills yourself. Few, if any, elecronics repair shops would tackle one becasue the cost of the skilled labor would be more than the price of a new one.

Get the battery charged up - use an external charger if needed. Then, with the WFCO online, see what the battery voltage is. If the WFCO is working, it should be in the vicinity of 13.6v.

zapme said:
I have been running the lights with out the battery hook up for weeks. Also my son lived in it for six months with out the battery hooked up. I just tried hooking up the battery, all the lights came on. I guest that brings it back to the converter? Because I am selling it I would like to spend as little as possible on it. Thanks for such a quick reply
Make sure the battery is installed correctly.  If you reverse the polarity, the convertor will surely kick off or blow a fuse, but most lights don't care which way the current goes.

Molaker said:
Make sure the battery is installed correctly.  If you reverse the polarity, the convertor will surely kick off or blow a fuse, but most lights don't care which way the current goes.

The lights may not care about battery polarity but the controls for the water heater and refrigerator certainly will.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom