rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Step well cover  (Read 2639 times)

kingston

Step well cover
« on: December 21, 2013, 11:18:33 PM »
While driving my step well cover retracted and now will not operate. A 2003 Monaco Signature. Causes? Cures? Thanks

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Step well cover
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:24:06 AM »
You've probably already verified this ... I'm not at the coach to verify this, but I believe the 'ignition'key has to be in the 'on' position.

We once had a situation where the step cover on our Monaco wouldn't retract; Some carpet end was sufficient to prevent it retracting, and presumably could have prevented it extending.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

bucks2

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:37:01 AM »
Just checked mine and the closeout moves with the key off. But there are many different ways to do things and what one rig does another may not. Mine is electric and was slow moving and noisy until I lubed it this past year. You might try carefully pulling on the step while pushing the button to see if it's just sticky that way.

Of course the usual fuses/breakers, pulled wire, etc apply. And its possible you have an air operated close out? Then of course a whole different set of troubleshooting thoughts apply.

Ken

kingston

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »
This happened while i was driving. Hence the ignition key was on . Any  thoughts? What fuse group.

bucks2

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »
Mine is in the outside compartment under the drivers feet. Shows step power as F61 and F62 which are mini blade fuses, a 15 and a 20 amp. It's connected via a green bulkhead "VCK" connector on the circuit board.

Rectracting while driving sounds like maybe a switch got hit? or a wire pinched maybe. I have 2 switches and occasionally the dog will stand on the one by the passengers seat. So maybe double check that something didn't get pushed against a switch?

If a wire got pinched and shorted out in the retract mode then the motor might be held in the retract mode and may have overheated the motor. If it's not a switch or fuse then you're going to have to break into the step. I see nothing in mine that would automatically retract the step if it lost power, although it's not impossible that it has a failsafe logic built in that would retract it if it lost power. So check power first.

The picture is of the motor (round silver object) and the screw drive that pushes the step in and out.

KEn