"can't display the page" showing all of the time after executing IE 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy.
We are trying to solve a problem on a friend's(Kay) computer. The computer is an HP notebook, OS is Windows 7 home premium, web browser is IE11. About 2 weeks ago, when she would try to log onto the internet, Kay started getting the error message, "page can't be displayed". IE will not load the standard go to page, MSN.com. I can see the web address in the address bar and the www.msn.com in the status bar and the little circle that goes round and round. Then in about 20 second, up comes the message, "page can't be displayed". I tried deleting the browser history earlier today and that helped a little. We got an incomplete load of the msn page.  BUT I was not able to go to www.google.com.    We are not too familiar with IE so we are asking for help to solve this problem.  We can't get to any web page at all EXCEPT FOR FACEBOOK, through IE, and that means no email. Unfortunately, that is the ONLY web browser Kay has on her notebook.  Help.

Thanks,
Liz Pearce

I would suggest that she ditch I.E. 11. I installed it by mistake by not paying attention to what Microsoft was offering in a Windows Update in mid-November. I had multiple problems with multiple websites and finally uninstalled it. All of my problems went away. JMO.

R

Simple enough to fix.  On a different computer, download either Firefox or Chrome to a flash drive.  Take the flash drive to her computer and install it.  Uninstall IE11.
You might want to export the favorites or bookmarks to a file on her computer first just to make things easy later.

inscop said:
Simple enough to fix.  On a different computer, download either Firefox or Chrome to a flash drive.  Take the flash drive to her computer and install it.  Uninstall IE11.
You might tto export the favorites or bookmarks to a file on her computer first just to make things easy later.

Thank you for this idea. I looked on the Uninstall display via the Control Panel and didn't find IE listed. Where is it located?

TNX,
Liz

I also vote for dumping IE...but it is probably the security settings...you may turn all those off and see if it helps...the security settings in IE not the computer....

At least worth a try, but I fear that IE 11 is a loser and until it gets some serious updates it will continue to cause problems. I find it interesting that Facebook loads but nothing else...

Good Luck.

Jim

Jackliz said:
I looked on the Uninstall display via the Control Panel and didn't find IE listed. Where is it located?

If I.E. 11 was installed as part of a Windows Update, open Windows Update and in the lower left corner is a link to Installed Updates. Click on this and then in the left pane is a link to Uninstall A Program. Click on this and find I.E. 11 in the drop down list. My list was really long and it took me a while to find it.

Once I.E. 11 is uninstalled her system will revert to what ever previous version of I.E. she was using. In my case I.E. 9, which solved all of my webpage problems.

R

This article will tell you how to uninstall IE11.  If reverting to IE10 doesn't solve her problem, then get either Chrome or Firefox.  Both can import any bookmarks and other browser data from IE during the installation.

I use Firefox but have run into a few situations where websites did not display properly and I had to use IE. Gappened to me tonight. I recommend installing Firefox (or Chrome if you wish) but do not uninstall IE. You can designate Firefox/Chrome as the default browser and IE will be available if you ever need it.

Ned said:
This article will tell you how to uninstall IE11.  If reverting to IE10 doesn't solve her problem, then get either Chrome or Firefox.  Both can import any bookmarks and other browser data from IE during the installation.

Thank you for the link, Ned. I did print the pages of that tutorial that we are going to use.  You sure have some really interesting resources. ;-)  Will let you know what happens.

Thanks again,
Liz
CORRAL NEWS editor

UPDATE!!

I followed the tutorial's instructions and uninstalled IE 11. Successfully loaded Firefox from a flash drive. HOWEVER, I can't go to other web pages from the Firefox page other than Google.com.  Can't load any other web pages from Google.com either. I get the error message, "Connection has timed out".  I tried to load Amazon and then Yahoo But no luck there, either.

Kay's husband want to know if he should just buy a new computer. I asked him to wait a bit on that decision.

This is such a puzzle as just 3-4 weeks ago, this computer was working O.K.  ?????? Help.

Liz Pearce
CORRAL NEWS editor

Something changed her home page.. Click on the link below with her home computer than choose TOOLS OPTIONS and for the home page Use current page" this is a way better home page

about:blank

Or you can find a page you like, but I like that one since it loads real fast and does not add to my byte count when I'm using my phone to access.

NOTE: You may have to type that link in by hand.. It would not click in Firefox.  But it's only 11 characters.

Liz, it sounds almost as if the internet connection is gone, rather than being a browser problem as such. Browsers often cache the home page (installing Firefox may have changed the home page). So I'd check whether email works, and look for how the connection is actually made to the internet, whether it is a physical cable or wireless (WiFi), it may not be up.

It sounds like your internet is OK, (Facebook works) . Some times a system restore will work, Restore prior to the problem. If not, search for a local computer repair shop. Local independent shops were given better rating than others. They should be willing to give you the Minimum -Maximum of the repair.

I've determined privately that the computer has no internet connection at all.  They're investigating other possible sources, but right now the most likely is a failed WiFi adapter.

If you go to the IE-11 settings icon, kinda looks like a gear... then "manage add ons"; disable most of them, maybe all of them, and see if that allows IE-11 to work for email.  Then you can add them back as you need them.

Back
Top Bottom