Noise of basement a/c-heat pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deerwinnie

Hey all you smarter than me's, have an '03 Journey 36GD, the a/c-heat pump unit under the bed is driving me sleepless, never owned an rv with basement air, thinking will never own another unless you all have a way that I can help block noise of unit running in heatpump or a/c.
Thinking of insulation, sound deadening board, or something, any idea's to block noise?????? HELP!!! :'( :'(

Assuming this is a new-to-you unit?  Our basement air produces a nice low frequency "white noise" drone which actually helps drown out campground and traffic noise.  There have been issues with the squirrel cage fan motor sleeve bearings going bad which can make extra and unpleasant noises - perhaps this is your situation.

I had one that the set screw in the squirrel cage fan backed itself all the way out and fell into the bottom of the AC.  Made a lot of racket before it finally gave up.  Pulled the unit out and found the set screw, replaced it and all was good again.

I never hear the unit in the basement , only the fan noise which I like. As John Canfield said the white noise blocks out the outside noises. Has your unit always made this noise and is it really under the bed??

looked up a unit like yours, they really did put it under the bed area.....what kind of noise are you hearing, a vibration, maybe one that you can feel by putting your hand on the wall in that area. Mine once had a piece of insulation come loose and threw the fan out of balance. other than that I might see if the rubber isolators on the compressor mounts have deteriorated. I believe there are also rubber mounts on the fan that could have hardened up.

If you can feel it in the walls the there is no amount of insulation or sound deadening that will take that out to any degree.

Alan, I think I have the same RVP heat pump as you. I will say the noise outside from the fan is kind of loud but not inside that causes me any trouble sleeping. Not sure what you are hearing but DW is a light sleeper also, no problems. You might look at the squirrel cage fan as others have stated.

The rest of the story,..... when lay head down on pillow, sounds like megaphone pointing right into my one and only good ear (deaf in other), so certain frequencies drive me up the wall, or in this case, sleepless.
I sleep one left side with good ear on pillow, which at stick & brick makes for a peaceful sleep, but the fan noise a few inches under my pillow seems REAL loud.
Tried an ear plug, just made it louder, if that's possible.
HELP
Sorry I did not explain this on OP, that's what happens when you are in a hurry, don't express oneself well.
(May have to lay in bed backwards, feet toward headboard/wall, head at feet end)
There seems to be nothing wrong with fan unit, it's just the NOISE of the fan running below the bed that I am hoping to quiet down.

We have always put a mattress topper UNDER the mattress, as well as one on top. Softens it up a bit, keeps the mattress from moving around and might serve as a bit of an added sound break.

Oldracer, forgot to mention has sleep number bed, when we got the MH 3 months ago, the bed kept going flat, dealer contacted manufacture, they replaced pump unit.
haven't got to test to see if helped yet, just got MH back Fri. from having several issues worked on.

I guess you could always raise up your bed and put in a bunch of old blankets etc between the steel panels covering the engine and the wood board on the bottom of the bed you just raised. If that helps you could purchase some foam or acoustic panels to put in there.
I'm not in the MH so can't remember for sure but If I recall the furnace fresh air intake and filter is right there under the bed, up towards the left side towards the head of the bed. You might be hearing something coming from that which you wouldn't want to cover. You might have to experiment a bit so good luck with it.

I doubt it's the fas as much as the compressors. They're not loud by themselves, but they transmit a vibration throughout the frame.

I got some insulation that  guys that restore old cars use, made mutiple layers glued together & stuffed in gap between ac/fan unit and lift up board under bed, haven't been hooked up to 50amp yet, so don't know if it's gonna help, but it's got to help.  :) :) :-X

Had one where the squirrel cage shaft bearings was not pressed on straight. Dropped the unit replaced bearing. All is fine. Noise is gone, only light cage hum when running.

Hey all,
  first I want to thank all who offered suggestions on how to quiet down the sound of the a/c-heat pump running directly under the bed, and I would like to report that my addition of insulation helped TREMENDOUSLY, Yaaaa.
we are out on a 17 day run down south, & guess what, the cold followed us to San Antonio, Tx. 26 degrees this morning, 37 for the high today, 65 tomorrow & supposed to be 73 Sun., but we will see.
Alan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom