new to slide in camper dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honda cat

I just bought a slide in and was wondering
can I leave the lp gas on and run the furnace and water heater while traveling
I am pretty sure I can leave the gas  refrigerator on is this correct?

thanks frank

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/hondacat522/camper/dadsiphne12-272013015.jpg

Edit: Fixed link (inkine images are disabled here).

That is a beautiful camper and looks very roomy.

I think you will find that while it's wonderful to run the fridge to keep foods perfect, running the heat and water heater while driving is going to be a waste of propane. The trailer will heat up super fast once you park, it's a very small area to heat, nothing like trying to heat a whole house with higher ceilings. The water heater may take 15-20 minutes on a very cold day to come up to super hot temp, but after that it's pretty easy to keep it hot.

You don't want to be running out for more propane all the time, when you would prefer enjoying the thrill of camping.

I added an electric conversion kit for the hot water tank 3 years ago and never once regretted that. It doesn't take up any extra room to speak of (cords, thermostat and switch) and your tank can still run on propane when there is no electricity. It works a bit slower than propane at first, but once the tank is up to temp, it recovers nicely as hot water is used. That leaves you more propane for cooking and heating.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024ECCJW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0024ECCJW&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20

If your camper and truck can connect by sliding window (the old ones in the old days did) you can use the truck heater as you drive to prewarm the slide-in camper as you drive.

Thanks for the response makes good sense 

I am just trying to compress the learning curve as much as possible and this is a great help

You want to shut off your propane tanks if you are driving through tunnels or stopping at a gas station.  Also, truck campers tend to have really small propane tanks, so conserve your propane.  If your fridge will run off of 110V, plug your camper in at your house a day or two before you hit the road and get the fridge good and cold.  Make sure you only put stuff in it that is already cold.  Pack it up and leave it plugged in an hour or two before you unplug and don't open the fridge again until you're camping.  The fridge will stay cool for several hours without running on propane.  I got an electric indoor/outdoor thermometer and keep the outside probe inside my fridge and the inside readout where I can monitor the temperature without opening the door.  This was a great purchase!

Enjoy your camper...there are always people here ready, willing, and able to help if you have questions or troubles!

Back
Top Bottom