Moab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fyrestorm

Staying in Moab near the end of June next year.  We're in a small camper and some friends will be tent camping.  Any suggestions on a campground in Moab thats nice for both tent and RV campers?

You may or may not be aware that the Forum holds a rally in Moab each May and stays at the Portal RV Resort. I am thinking there is some tent camping there, but check. I know there is in the park right next to it.

There are a variety of BLM sites in the area that may or may not be suitable to your tastes. Since you are smaller, you have a lot more choices than those of us in larger rigs, and you may want more of the "camping" part of the experience.

That's a pretty warm time of the year in those parts, but, again, that may suit both your schedule and your personal tastes just fine.

We'll be returning for our fourth RV Forum rally and they are always a blast with plenty of great folks.

Kim

There are a lot of BLM sites on hiway 128 along the river--no hookups. You did not say if you wanted hookups, so here is a list within Canyon lands.

http://www.canyonlands.national-park.com/camping.htm

I would like hook ups and the ability to reserve.  Thanks for the info so far.

Checked out Portal.  For my family its not so bad.  But, for my friends who have 3 children they want $8 per night per child extra.  I was floored.  $50 a night to tent camp w/o electric and water.  We will look elsewhere.  What a ripoff!

SeilerBird said:
I really don't think tent camping is such a good idea in Moab in June. The weather will be miserable.

Yeah, it gets hot during the day, but at night it usually gets down in the 60's.

SmokerBill said:
Yeah, it gets hot during the day, but at night it usually gets down in the 60's.

Thats fine at night.  I looked at the normal temps during that time and they even dip into the upper 50's at night.  Thats all they care about.  I understand it will be hot during the day. 

SeilerBird said:
I really don't think tent camping is such a good idea in Moab in June. The weather will be miserable.

I would agree if you're inclined to spend any time at all in the tent during the day. I've only experienced Moab on a motorcycle in June. Was only in the tent after sundown and it was fine.  The views at many of the BLM sites are breathtaking. Nothing like that first cup of coffee in the AM watching the sun rise over the mountains.

I would look into the State Park - Deadhorse Point State Park - they have RV sites and tent sites with utilities....dump station is at the entrance to the camping area but fantastic sites where you can be with your friends and still have some facilities...about a 45 minute drive into Moab, but the park itself is amazing...

One of the best State parks in Utah as far as RV and tent areas...nice rest rooms in the campground a snack stand at the headquarters....great views and hiking trails, I love the place...

Good Luck

Jim

I saw that park Wig and it has gotten my attention.  It looks like an awesome place. Are reservations tough to come by in your experience?

Fyrestorm said:
I saw that park Wig and it has gotten my attention.  It looks like an awesome place. Are reservations tough to come by in your experience?

I had no trouble you can do it online, but I reserved about 3 months in advance....the other times I have been there have been during the early spring and late fall and I just drove in and there was space...summer I am sure will be busier...

With what you are looking for I think this would be the best place....the Portal in Moab is not set up for tent campers and it is pricy....the place next door is a little less expensive and also has more room set up for tent campers....but you are "in town" and not much to do...no comparison to being on top of that Mesa at Deadhorse Point with the amazing view right out your door and trails to hike in the evenings and a great place for an evening campfire....

Spend a night before or after in Moab and do your shopping and eat at Zaks or the Brewery....

Good Luck - I spend quite a bit of time in Moab and have friends there, when I need some "town time" I usually stay at the Portal, but more than not you will find me either in Arches or my preferred spot is Deadhorse Point....

This picture was taken a short walk from the campground...

Jim

Attachments

• P1083374Rev4-SquareLoLoLo.jpg
    P1083374Rev4-SquareLoLoLo.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 56
X2 for Dead Horse Point. It is absolutely stunning. It's like the Grand Canyon without all the people (and no trails down into the canyon but plenty of room to explore. ) We stayed there in June this year. It is higher than the areas down in Moab so it gets a few degrees cooler.

I made reservations online on the first day they were available and could only get the Wednesday and Thursday nights I wanted, but not Friday. Already booked up 10 minutes after reservations opened. So mark your calendar now for the day the reservation window opens. 

Thanks guys!  Looks like dead horse it is.  Appreciate the info!  Has anyone here driven from Moab to Jackson in a day?  If so, what route?  I would like to get as close as possible in a day.

OK, now that Jim and I have sold you on DHP, a couple of things you should probably be aware of if you're not already:

1)  The hookups are electric only, 20/30/50 amp.  We had no problems with the electrical.  There are NOT, however, any water hookups and the bathrooms do not have showers.  There is a dump station but no place to fill up with potable water, so you have to fill your water tank before you get to DHP.  I think we stayed two nights and didn't have any problems with our family of 5, but we definitely tried to conserve water as much as possible.  With a family, I don't think I'd want to stay longer than 3 nights.

2)  The size of the sites varies greatly.  Take a look at a satellite photo to get a feel for which sites would work best for you.  Small campers are definitely better.  We have a 36' RV and there are only 2-3 sites that would work for us.  Many of the sites are not very level, particularly front to back.  I found the sites on the east side, outside of the loop to be nicest, as they are elevated a bit and have a nice view of the setting sun.  You can also see photos of all the sites at http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Dead-Horse-Point-State-Park .  Depending on the size of your group, you may be able to share one site, because each site has its own tent pad, as well as the site for the RV.  I looked at the reservations website and April is already largely booked up.  I recommend calling the reservation line now, to find out for sure the earliest date you can  reserve your desired dates in June.  When I reserved last year, it seems like the website explained it better than it does now.

3)  Keep a close eye on your kids.  There are great trails that leave right from the campground, but within a quarter mile, they come to 500+ foot sheer cliffs.  No rails, no signs, etc.  Stunningly beautiful, but if you have kids that won't obey instruction to stay with you, or are prone to daredevil behavior, it could be a scary place.

With all that said, DHP was our favorite campground for our entire two week trip to Utah.    Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Excellent info, appreciate it.  Guess we will have to invest in bottled water or find a spiket to fill the tank before we get there.  Looks like we will be able to get our group into one site.  THat will make it much easier during reservation time.  We have reserved campsites on the north rim of the Grand Canyon that have a view of the canyon.  We will make sure the kids follow the same rules while at Dead Horse.  It really looks like great place to base our stay from.  We prefer the park setting over the private RV campgrounds.  And this place seems to be right up our alley.  Again, THanks!  I will definitly report back on the trip! 

On the water situation, there are faucets near the bathrooms to fill canteens, etc. so bottled water for drinking is not a necessity.  It is trucked in from Moab so it's Moab city water.  My wife often doesn't like the taste of tap water, but she found the water to be just fine for drinking.  You can't fill the RV tank there, though.

Wish I were going back again this summer.  :)

Moab to Jackson will be a pretty long trip for one day....I usually run Moab to Salt Lake - I did drive from Grand Junction to Riverton WY in one long day...so I am sure it can be done with an early start...but may be better off stopping somewhere in WY after you get off of Rt 80...or pull in for a rest at Little America truck stop.....

I always fill up with water before heading to Deadhorse....and usually carry a couple 2.5 gal jugs of bottled water for drinking and cooking.

You will have a grand time in Deadhorse the views and sunsets are astounding and being a little higher than Moab usually cooler in the evenings...

Have a great time and report back...

Jim

Might wanna check out Okay RV Park, on the southern edge of Moab... fairly reasonable rates, part of PassPort, there are a few RV spots adjacent to tent spots with some shade... They have a few "cabins" IIRC... clean RR's/showers/water/electric/sewer hook-ups.  no pool though and it can get windy/dusty but it's far enough from hiway 190 to be quiet for the most part.  Very convenient to town for groceries and supplies.  Not paved but many areas have grass.  Not as scenic as DHSP by any measure.  If you are into bicycles, the "slick rock" park also has camping areas but few services. 

Wigpro said:
Moab to Jackson will be a pretty long trip for one day....I usually run Moab to Salt Lake - I did drive from Grand Junction to Riverton WY in one long day...so I am sure it can be done with an early start...but may be better off stopping somewhere in WY after you get off of Rt 80...or pull in for a rest at Little America truck stop.....

I always fill up with water before heading to Deadhorse....and usually carry a couple 2.5 gal jugs of bottled water for drinking and cooking.

You will have a grand time in Deadhorse the views and sunsets are astounding and being a little higher than Moab usually cooler in the evenings...

Have a great time and report back...

Jim

Thanks Jim, we just want to get close if we can.  If not we will get in the next day.  I'll checkout those routes and see what the best option for us would be.  Dumb question as I have never run into this before.  Where would I go to fill my water tank when we get there?  Gas Station?

taoshum, Deadhorse will be it for this trip.  I would rather stay out there than in Moab, its what we prefer.  I appreciate the info though. 

Back
Top Bottom